Advertisement

Doctor Who Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby Amoebas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 am

Sunless wrote:First Gatiss TV Who I've liked.

He really doesn't have many good ones does he?

I liked how our earlier discussion about this season's Doctor being a bit paranoid about the Tardis gets addressed.

I wanted more on the Clara mystery (but then maybe not as this was a Gatiss episode.

Troughton is one of my favorite Doctors, so I've seen much of his stuff including the the very first Ice Warriors arc (minus the lost ones :-( ) (maybe the now laid off Disney animators can get to work on bringing the 108 back to life).

Anyway, it's great to see some old foes back again (but shouldn't they have been at the Pandorica Event if the Ice Warriors still exist?).

David Warner = awesome!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 481 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:59 am

"Alien On A Submarine"

But it worked, so ... 8)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 109 posts

Postby PDH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 am

Was OK. Loved the Skaldak voice, that was so badass. The Professor guy was cool, as well. And Davos. Lots of good performances.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Davos and Edmure Tully :groucho:

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 425 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Chris wrote:Davos and Edmure Tully :groucho:

And Liam Cunningham was once again playing the captain of a ship. :lol:

Thank you Troy for the sig

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 am

Amoebas wrote:He really doesn't have many good ones does he?

David Warner = awesome!

I'm surprised by Gatiss' Who TV output too because he wrote a couple of fantastic Who novels.

Warner is great I geeked out.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 am

Was boring. Why does Doctor Who seem all too formulaic lately? I'm just not getting much out of it.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:32 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:"Alien On A Submarine"

But it worked, so ... 8)

Well considering that Alien was ripped from the phenomenal Tom Baker episode "Ark in Space" :-D

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Was boring. Why does Doctor Who seem all too formulaic lately? I'm just not getting much out of it.

The problem I see is there are too many episodes where the TARDIS decides where they go.

From last season...
The Doctor: “You don’t always take me where I want to go.
TARDIS: “No, but I take you where you need to go.”

While I liked Cold War, I think I would have liked to see the Doctor and Clara in a Las Vegas story more. Yes, it's great they landed on the sub and saved the world, but it's like they now have to start explaining how the TARDIS knows to take them wherever. And that complicates something that doesn't need complication.

I like it when the Doctor seeks adventure and when adventure finds him, but episodes like this where they just happen to land in this one exact spot at this one exact moment is oft times too convenient. And when things are convenient, they often get boring.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Amoebas wrote:The problem I see is there are too many episodes where the TARDIS decides where they go.

From last season...
The Doctor: “You don’t always take me where I want to go.
TARDIS: “No, but I take you where you need to go.”

While I liked Cold War, I think I would have liked to see the Doctor and Clara in a Las Vegas story more. Yes, it's great they landed on the sub and saved the world, but it's like they now have to start explaining how the TARDIS knows to take them wherever. And that complicates something that doesn't need complication.

I like it when the Doctor seeks adventure and when adventure finds him, but episodes like this where they just happen to land in this one exact spot at this one exact moment is oft times too convenient. And when things are convenient, they often get boring.

I'd love a throwaway line "Oops I forgot to unplug the randomizer from that nasty business with the Black Guardian"

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:54 am

Anyone got around to buying the Reign Of Terror DVD? The animations for the missing episodes are gorgeous and I think a step up from the Invasion.

Bring on the Ice Warriors in August!

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 am

Working my way through season one right now only three episodes to go, but like doctor nine more than I thought I would.

Also for a newbie like me season one really did a good job explaining the Doctor and his back story.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 am

bkthomson wrote:Working my way through season one right now only three episodes to go, but like doctor nine more than I thought I would.

Also for a newbie like me season one really did a good job explaining the Doctor and his back story.

I'll give it that. They did do a good job in bringing things back. I just didn't like Rose and thought the 9th Doctor needed time to grow on me.

Tennant grew on me and I liked his Doctor. However, I loved Matt Smith from the first scene.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04 am

Sunless wrote:
I'll give it that. They did do a good job in bringing things back. I just didn't like Rose and thought the 9th Doctor needed time to grow on me.

Tennant grew on me and I liked his Doctor. However, I loved Matt Smith from the first scene.

My first exposure to Doctor Who was with Smith and I've only watched the first four episodes of his run, though so far he is my favorite. Now that I've gone back I'll be watching all the season in order. I have the Tennant complete box set to go through then back to Smith.

Rose has not bothered me that much though there is a little too much of 'I love danger' that she seems to find her in that sometime gives me a 'come on' feeling. Though I think Amy was a good as the doctor, wide eye, yet also very cautious when they went somewhere. (again, that is based on four episodes.)
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 109 posts

Postby PDH » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:23 pm

This episode was OK. Fell apart a bit towards the end but I enjoyed it. Better than the writer's previous episode.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum