Advertisement

Controversy Brewing Over Eisner Nominations

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:09 pm

One of the Eisner judges has a public blacklist and works for an Eisner Award nominated website.

Source: ComicBook.com

We have our comic book controversy of the week!  A "Before Watchmen blacklist" published by Eisner judge Frank Santoro is currently making its rounds on tumblr, which was published last February. Santoro is also a writer for The Comics Journal, which received its first Eisner Award nomination in three years. 

In the post, Santoro lists every creator remotely involved with the controversial Before Watchmen project and declares that he refuses to buy or read anything associated with the creators.  While Santoro later claimed that he actually supported some of these creators during the nomination process, one of Santoro's colleagues at TCJ, Sean Collins, pointed out that Santoro was probably singlehandedly responsible for the high-profile project not receiving a single nomination. 

Santoro defended himself on ComicBook.com, where he claimed that he put his personal feelings aside and bothered to read material from hacks such as Chris Samnee, Jill Thompson, Joe Kubert, Michael Allred, Darwyn Cooke, Paul Pope and Jock.  He also noted that at least a couple of the artists on his black list earned Eisner nominations, despite him not reading any of their material during his non-Eisner judge period.  Of course, it's Darwyn Cooke and Chris Samnee we're talking about, so they probably would have gotten Eisner nominations even if Santoro tried his hardest to block their nomination. 

The real question here is whether the Eisners should have selected a judge that publicly bragged about how he'd never read comics from some of today's top creators ever again because they did a cover for some comic he didn't like.  Of course, there's a large contingent of the industry that hates DC for the Before Watchmen scandal, so I suppose we should be grateful that at least Santoro has the balls to admit that he'd like to permanent censor creators for a project he didn't like. 

Also, we'll just presume that TCJ magically upped their coverage quality in 2012 after they had missed out on getting an Eisner nomination in years.  We all know Tom Spurgeon's going to win that Eisner, so it doesn't really matter.

We'll leave it to you to decide whether this controversy is just a couple of websites pissed that they didn't get an Eisner nomination or if it's something a little more sinister.  In the meantime, we'll just root that Bandette takes home an Eisner. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Re: Controversy Brewing Over Eisner Nominations

Postby jeremy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Seems Legit.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Before Watchmen deserves to be blacklisted.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 pm

sigh

Blame DC.

That being said, there's a few people I thought better of before their involvement with Befuck Watchmen, so I won't pretend it doesn't leave its taint behind.

heheheh

taint behind

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Punchy wrote:Before Watchmen deserves to be blacklisted.

serious question: Is it really that bad?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:37 pm

doombug wrote:serious question: Is it really that bad?

I didn't read it, but the concept itself is bad enough.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 648 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm

doombug wrote:serious question: Is it really that bad?

The Comedian series isn't very good (I blame JG Jones) but the rest were all very well done.

Great characters + great creators. It worked.

And anyone who boycotted it or bashed it without ever opening it... you missed out on some great stuff.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1176 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Whether or not Before Watchmen was an enjoyable read or not has nothing to do with why people are against it. It's DC's decades long campaign of fucking over Alan Moore and tons of other creators that pisses people off.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Whether or not Before Watchmen was an enjoyable read or not has nothing to do with why people are against it. It's DC's decades long campaign of fucking over Alan Moore and tons of other creators that pisses people off.

but that's not the fault of the individual creators that worked on the books. It's the fault of editorial who decided to do it.

You're going to tell me blacklisting guys like Jimmy Palmiotti and Darwyn Cooke is okay to do? :smt011

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1176 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:49 pm

doombug wrote:but that's not the fault of the individual creators that worked on the books. It's the fault of editorial who decided to do it.

You're going to tell me blacklisting guys like Jimmy Palmiotti and Darwyn Cooke is okay to do? :smt011

I like Jimmy Palmiotti and I'm not blacklisting him, but I can certainly understand why someone would. Nobody forced Palmiotti to work on that book, and we saw whatshisname refuse to work with Orson Scott Card to keep his integrity. What's the difference?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 648 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:35 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I like Jimmy Palmiotti and I'm not blacklisting him, but I can certainly understand why someone would. Nobody forced Palmiotti to work on that book, and we saw whatshisname refuse to work with Orson Scott Card to keep his integrity. What's the difference?

The difference is in the deciding what your definition of the word integrity is.

Creators choosing to work on characters they loved and paying homage to the creators of those characters VS a creator who didn't want to work with an asshole.

I respect Sprouse and the Before Watchmen creators. Sprouse for his display of integrity and the BW people for making me love everything Watchmen all over again.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:39 pm

I could boycott all of them, but Paul Pope and I were classmates. :|

He only did a cover, I think!

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Do the Esiner's mean anything to anyone besides the creators? Does it improve their options in work or pay?
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 440 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 pm

bkthomson wrote:Do the Esiner's mean anything to anyone besides the creators? Does it improve their options in work or pay?

Its an accolade you can put on the book to boost sales and writers usually get recognized for Eisners and it can help them make the jump from indie to mainstream. I would imagine it helps make the resumé look nicer.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Anyways, Darwyn Cooke wasn't blacklisted, he's nominated for Parker: The Score.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand