Advertisement

Controversy Brewing Over Eisner Nominations

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 830 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Controversy Brewing Over Eisner Nominations

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Amoebas wrote:The difference is in the deciding what your definition of the word integrity is.

Creators choosing to work on characters they loved and paying homage to the creators of those characters VS a creator who didn't want to work with an asshole.

I respect Sprouse and the Before Watchmen creators. Sprouse for his display of integrity and the BW people for making me love everything Watchmen all over again.

Or those creators could choose to not work on a property whose rights should have reverted to the creators as per the terms of their original agreement, but for unexpected, drastic shift in the comic book publishing paradigm, against the wishes of those creators. But they chose not to, just as freethinking individuals can choose to buy or not buy their books as a result.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I could boycott all of them, but Paul Pope and I were classmates. :|

:shock:

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 407 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Or those creators could choose to not work on a property whose rights should have reverted to the creators as per the terms of their original agreement, but for unexpected, drastic shift in the comic book publishing paradigm, against the wishes of those creators. But they chose not to, just as freethinking individuals can choose to buy or not buy their books as a result.
Or Alan Moore could have like, ya know, read the contract that he signed. :groucho:

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:against the wishes of those creators

Creators? Plural?

Last I saw Gibbons hasn't been sending any checks back or asking for his name to be removed from anywhere. :-D

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Punchy wrote:Anyways, Darwyn Cooke wasn't blacklisted, he's nominated for Parker: The Score.

This. My first thought.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 284 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
This. My first thought.

The blacklist has nothing to do with the nominations; the blacklist refers to fans "never buying or reading another book by these childhood-raping creators who are fucking Alan Moore's corpse."

Paraphrasing a little, or course.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
The blacklist has nothing to do with the nominations; the blacklist refers to fans "never buying or reading another book by these childhood-raping creators who are fucking Alan Moore's corpse."

Really, it's just this one guy who has the (public) blacklist. Ok, him and Brandon Graham.

But, there are also those of us who think it's a completely righteous sentiment, if only for the fact that we're standing up for less nostalgic stripmining of the past in superhero comics, which are already so often creatively bankrupt. Watchmen doesn't have to be another X-Men book.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 am

Lord Simian wrote:

And the controversy is that
The real question here is whether the Eisners should have selected a judge that publicly bragged about how he'd never read comics from some of today's top creators ever again because they did a cover for some comic he didn't like.

but one of the creators on said list is nominated, so how much of a question is it really?

Sunless
crash test dummy

Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:26 am

Never touched Before Watchmen. Everything I want and need is in 12 issues of comic book perfection.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:55 am

Punchy wrote:Before Watchmen deserves to be blacklisted.

That seems so...conservative of you. I wholeheartedly disagree.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 334 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04 am

Sunless wrote:Never touched Before Watchmen. Everything I want and need is in 12 issues of comic book perfection.

Damn right!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:32 pm

GLX wrote:
:shock:

Yup, as underclassmen during my second go-around at art school. The faculty of the art program were desperately trying to be more avant garde and postmodern, so they added all these horrible "performance art" requirements even for those of us who weren't interested in it at all, so we were in a couple of those as well as some of the drawing and painting stuff. Paul wasn't one of the ones to paint his torso with dayglo body paint and gyrate around while some shitty industrial noise played though---fuck knows we had plenty of them---he was already starting to develop his early comic strips and style as an underclassman, and found ways to justify working them into the assignments whatever the loose requirements for the project would be. It was rougher back then, but it's interesting to see what he does now and remember those early sketchbooks of his.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand