Advertisement

Age Of Oops-tron #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 327 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby Amoebas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 pm

e_galston wrote:
except no one sent Logan to the past, he did that himself... granted its not like you'd know that since you more than likely didn't read the past issue since it doesn't have a DC logo on it...

Actually he didn't do it himself. He admitted he didn't know how to use the platform, so anyone who helped him DID send him.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 315 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:40 pm

well that was the best issue of the series so far. And it was still pretty bad. But at least the storytelling was better.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 651 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:06 am

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:57 am

We are now in the second stage of Age Of Ultron, and already the pace has increased. This issue is split into two timelines, we see Wolverine and Sue Storm in the past, and also Nick Fury, Captain America and a bunch of other Avengers in the future. The future stuff is fairly straightforward, the Avengers head to a roboticized New York, get attacked by some Ultron drones, and get killed (Captain America gets fucking decapitated!). The stuff in the past is a lot more interesting, as Wolverine and Sue are there to either stop Hank Pym from creating Ultron… or kill him.

In the end, Wolverine kills him, which was a really great moment. So often time-travel stories tease stuff like this happening, but chicken out at the last minute. But Age Of Ultron goes through with it, which is kind of awesome. I can’t wait to see what kind of state the present is in now that Hank is dead, and how all of this is going to end. At this point, anything can happen, and I really value unpredictability in superhero comics, it’s a rare commodity. I think it’s actually very interesting how this event has not really been about Ultron, he hasn’t even appeared yet and we are more than half-way done. How crazy would it be if he doesn’t appear in any of the 10 issues? Just the idea and threat of Ultron is a better villain than most!

I thought it was good how Carlos Pacheco and Brandon Peterson handled both timelines in this issue and how some pages featured work from both of them, a simple technique but effective. Also cool was how Hank Pym from the past’s word balloons looked different from Wolverine’s, they were grey and not as round, like actual balloons from the Silver Age. It’s the little things like that which show you how great and versatile comics can be, only comics could convey different time-periods like that.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 132 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 am

Y'know, I'm old enough to remember when most readers didn't root, much less actively profess love, for super-villains like Cyclops.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am

alaska1125 wrote:Y'know, I'm old enough to remember when most readers didn't root, much less actively profess love, for super-villains like Cyclops.

Cyclops is:

a) Not a villain
b) Not in Age Of Ultron because he died off-panel

So what are you talking about?

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 132 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 am

Punchy wrote:
Cyclops is:

a) Not a villain
b) Not in Age Of Ultron because he died off-panel

So what are you talking about?

a) After AvX, yeah, he is.
b) Have you been reading the posts in this thread?

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 308 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 am

e_galston wrote:except no one sent Logan to the past, he did that himself... granted its not like you'd know that since you more than likely didn't read the past issue since it doesn't have a DC logo on it...

Amoebas wrote:Actually he didn't do it himself. He admitted he didn't know how to use the platform, so anyone who helped him DID send him.

I admire your fortitude, Amobas. Because Ms Thatcher does not like to be corrected :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:16 am

Punchy wrote:We are now in the second stage of Age Of Ultron, and already the pace has increased. This issue is split into two timelines, we see Wolverine and Sue Storm in the past, and also Nick Fury, Captain America and a bunch of other Avengers in the future. The future stuff is fairly straightforward, the Avengers head to a roboticized New York, get attacked by some Ultron drones, and get killed (Captain America gets fucking decapitated!). The stuff in the past is a lot more interesting, as Wolverine and Sue are there to either stop Hank Pym from creating Ultron… or kill him.

In the end, Wolverine kills him, which was a really great moment. So often time-travel stories tease stuff like this happening, but chicken out at the last minute. But Age Of Ultron goes through with it, which is kind of awesome. I can’t wait to see what kind of state the present is in now that Hank is dead, and how all of this is going to end. At this point, anything can happen, and I really value unpredictability in superhero comics, it’s a rare commodity. I think it’s actually very interesting how this event has not really been about Ultron, he hasn’t even appeared yet and we are more than half-way done. How crazy would it be if he doesn’t appear in any of the 10 issues? Just the idea and threat of Ultron is a better villain than most!

I thought it was good how Carlos Pacheco and Brandon Peterson handled both timelines in this issue and how some pages featured work from both of them, a simple technique but effective. Also cool was how Hank Pym from the past’s word balloons looked different from Wolverine’s, they were grey and not as round, like actual balloons from the Silver Age. It’s the little things like that which show you how great and versatile comics can be, only comics could convey different time-periods like that.

I understand you're trying to put together respectable reviews for the sake of the site. I wont fault you for that this time. But seriously? A GREAT MOMENT???? This reads more like a CBR hand job review then anything else. The moment was coming from the second this issue was solicited. It was so telegraphed Stevie Wonder would've seen it. It would be one thing for you be contrarian like Jude Terror but that's not your review M.O. This comic is not unpredictable at all. If anything this book is ho hum and very predictable with every thing happening right on time...well right no time for a very slow rolling story. I'm sorry but your assessment of this story and especially this issue just feels really wrong.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 am

alaska1125 wrote:
a) After AvX, yeah, he is.
b) Have you been reading the posts in this thread?

B. No he hasn't.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
I understand you're trying to put together respectable reviews for the sake of the site. I wont fault you for that this time. But seriously? A GREAT MOMENT???? This reads more like a CBR hand job review then anything else. The moment was coming from the second this issue was solicited. It was so telegraphed Stevie Wonder would've seen it. It would be one thing for you be contrarian like Jude Terror but that's not your review M.O. This comic is not unpredictable at all. If anything this book is ho hum and very predictable with every thing happening right on time...well right no time for a very slow rolling story. I'm sorry but your assessment of this story and especially this issue just feels really wrong.

I thought it was surprising that they actually went through with killing Pym, it was a good moment to me, I expected them to chicken out.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 am

Punchy wrote:
I thought it was surprising that they actually went through with killing Pym, it was a good moment to me, I expected them to chicken out.

But, here's the problem. This story is full of backing out of everything that's happened here. Yes Age of Apocalypse is basically the same but the execution from the beginning of that story had a different weight to it and characters were actually changed even the idea of the tie ins to this series recognize how little it actually matters. The whole thing is just a general disappointment. We already know that Hank Pym is somehow still alive when this event ends and at this point the only major change that could come out of all of this will be the death of Wolverine like Rich speculated on months ago but with a movie coming out this summer and another coming out in the next 2 years it's going to be very short lived. That will be the only lasting effect of this series.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:35 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
But, here's the problem. This story is full of backing out of everything that's happened here. Yes Age of Apocalypse is basically the same but the execution from the beginning of that story had a different weight to it and characters were actually changed even the idea of the tie ins to this series recognize how little it actually matters. The whole thing is just a general disappointment. We already know that Hank Pym is somehow still alive when this event ends and at this point the only major change that could come out of all of this will be the death of Wolverine like Rich speculated on months ago but with a movie coming out this summer and another coming out in the next 2 years it's going to be very short lived. That will be the only lasting effect of this series.

Unless the teaser for Avengers AI was a mis-direct.

And I take whatever Rich Johnston says with a pinch of salt. I hadn't heard about Wolverine dying at all.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am

Punchy wrote:
Unless the teaser for Avengers AI was a mis-direct.

And I take whatever Rich Johnston says with a pinch of salt. I hadn't heard about Wolverine dying at all.

I agree with you about Rich 100% but he's been right enough times that you at least have to question it briefly.

- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 651 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:56 am

alaska1125 wrote:Y'know, I'm old enough to remember when most readers didn't root, much less actively profess love, for super-villains like Cyclops.

I'm old enough to remember a time when the comics industry wasn't so creatively bankrupt that they ham-fistedly wrote a super-mega-crossover event that mischaracterized a popular hero in order to make him a villain, all the while having the heroes in the story commit worse acts but pay no consequences for them because it didn't fit the editorial mandate of the story.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand