Advertisement

Age Of Oops-tron #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15798
Likes: 146 posts
Liked in: 181 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Amoebas wrote:Hank Pym has now apparently been murdered in July 1967.

So he didn't accidently create Ultron.
And so Ultron never created the Vision.
Who never married the Scarlet Witch.
Who never had kids that were taken from her.
So she never went crazy.

And therefore Bendis never had a career in comics.

Yeah. I can live with that.


So house of M never happened? Or Avengers Dissembled? Or Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Jean Grey is still alive...in only one time period.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Advertisement

alaska1125
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2966
Likes: 91 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 pm


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Grayson wrote:
Cyclops is still pretty far from being Magneto. Like I said, Cyclops is still working to protect both mutants and humans. I haven't seen any issues featuring Cyclops going to an anti-mutant protest, taking hostages, and holding them for ransom until his demands are met. To my knowledge, Cyclops hasn't gathered a collection of stolen nuclear missiles and pointed them at various countries around the world. In fact, aside from being a fugitive for a crime he didn't actually commit, I can't think of a single thing that Cyclops is currently doing that would make him Magneto or a villain in general.

I'd encourage you to reread the last few years of X-Men books without the AvX blinders on. His crawl toward embracing his inner Magneto is pretty blatant. Scott Summers: Super Villain.
And as an aside, when has it been mentioned that he's working to protect humans??? When he was the "benevolent" overlord as a Phoenix???
Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 75969
Likes: 382 posts
Liked in: 535 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:46 pm

:lol:
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18579
Likes: 88 posts
Liked in: 125 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby habitual » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:16 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I'd encourage you to reread the last few years of X-Men books without the AvX blinders on. His crawl toward embracing his inner Magneto is pretty blatant. Scott Summers: Super Villain.
And as an aside, when has it been mentioned that he's working to protect humans??? When he was the "benevolent" overlord as a Phoenix???


I'd say that's pretty ridiculous. :lol:

Hab

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7977
Likes: 340 posts
Liked in: 601 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:30 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I'd encourage you to reread the last few years of X-Men books without the AvX blinders on. His crawl toward embracing his inner Magneto is pretty blatant. Scott Summers: Super Villain.
And as an aside, when has it been mentioned that he's working to protect humans??? When he was the "benevolent" overlord as a Phoenix???


I have been reading X-Books off and on for several years. Ever since House of M, Cyclops has been forced to adopt a more aggressive stance but come on, look at all the things that were happening around him. Mutants are almost entirely wiped out in a matter of moments. The United States Government forces Cyclops to allow Sentinels, machines designed to kill mutants, onto the school grounds for "their own protection." Anti-mutant hate groups like the Purifiers, increased their aggression toward the remaining mutants, including murdering several students, mutant or otherwise, on the actual school grounds. An actual super villain took control of S.H.I.E.L.D., created his own team of "X-Men," and chased the real X-Men off of US soil. Sentinels attempted to wipe out a second island nation of mutants without anyone, from the Avengers to Power Pack, trying to help them.

Scott Summers himself has declared that he and his X-Men are going to protect everyone, regardless of whether or not they are mutant or human in the current volume of Uncanny X-Men. At worst, Scott Summers is now an Anti-Hero. The only reason that Scott Summers could be considered a villain right now, is because you want him to be a villain.
ImageImageImage

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 75969
Likes: 382 posts
Liked in: 535 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Grayson wrote:
I have been reading X-Books off and on for several years. Ever since House of M, Cyclops has been forced to adopt a more aggressive stance but come on, look at all the things that were happening around him. Mutants are almost entirely wiped out in a matter of moments. The United States Government forces Cyclops to allow Sentinels, machines designed to kill mutants, onto the school grounds for "their own protection." Anti-mutant hate groups like the Purifiers, increased their aggression toward the remaining mutants, including murdering several students, mutant or otherwise, on the actual school grounds. An actual super villain took control of S.H.I.E.L.D., created his own team of "X-Men," and chased the real X-Men off of US soil. Sentinels attempted to wipe out a second island nation of mutants without anyone, from the Avengers to Power Pack, trying to help them.

Scott Summers himself has declared that he and his X-Men are going to protect everyone, regardless of whether or not they are mutant or human in the current volume of Uncanny X-Men. At worst, Scott Summers is now an Anti-Hero. The only reason that Scott Summers could be considered a villain right now, is because you want him to be a villain.


100% correct, except the last sentence. THe only reason people consider Cyclops a villain is because a group of Marvel editors and writers want him to be a villain and comic fandom is so bizzarre that people feel some kind of loyalty to corporations and their interests and will support said interests, even in the face of shitty storytelling.

The actual events that occurred in Marvel continuity do not make Scott a villain. Who in the Marvel Universe HASN'T done something awful while possessed by a villainous entity? Other than killing Prof X (and really, when someone has died and come back like five times, is it really even murder?), what has Cyclops done wrong besides stick up for himself and his people and disagree with Wolverine (who is a child murderer but considered the greatest hero in the Marvel Universe)?
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

alaska1125
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2966
Likes: 91 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 pm


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:22 pm

I'll admit to being biased as I've thought Summers was an asshat since he abandoned his wife and child in the 80's. That said, I maintain that based on his forced actions and characterization, he has, indeed, become Magneto. That said, we probably should discuss the craptacular "event" that's currently running...
Image

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7977
Likes: 340 posts
Liked in: 601 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:36 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I'll admit to being biased as I've thought Summers was an asshat since he abandoned his wife and child in the 80's. That said, I maintain that based on his forced actions and characterization, he has, indeed, become Magneto. That said, we probably should discuss the craptacular "event" that's currently running...


Yeah but nobody wants that... :P
ImageImageImage

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 75969
Likes: 382 posts
Liked in: 535 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Let's compare this current event to AvX. :P

In AvX, Cyclops, by no choice of his own, is imbued with the power of a bird-themed cosmic death god. He uses this power to make the world a better place for everyone, stopping wars, solving hunger, etc. Eventually, after being relentlessly attacked by the Avengers for no reason, with them forcing MORE power into him each time they take out one of the other Phoenix hosts, he is driven mad and kills Professor X. He is now considered a wanted terrorist.

In AoU, Wolverine decides, of his own free will, to go back in time and murder a famous hero. He has the support of Sue Storm, and everyone knew he was he gonna do that, and they were just like "Oh Wolverine, don't do that," but really they knew he'd do it anyway and they're just like "That Wolverine! What a rascal!" This is the only thing that happened in six issues.

:P
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 75969
Likes: 382 posts
Liked in: 535 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:59 pm

This event really does exemplify all of Bendis's worst qualities (and I like Bendis). I can't wait till it's over so we can see what parts of it carry over into the actual MU and do damage control. Maybe someone will do what Bendis with the shitstain that was AvX and make an awesome All New Avengers comic out of it.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

SuperginraiX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 8025
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 57 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Waite Park MN
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Let's compare this current event to AvX. :P

In AvX, Cyclops, by no choice of his own, is imbued with the power of a bird-themed cosmic death god. He uses this power to make the world a better place for everyone, stopping wars, solving hunger, etc. Eventually, after being relentlessly attacked by the Avengers for no reason, with them forcing MORE power into him each time they take out one of the other Phoenix hosts, he is driven mad and kills Professor X. He is now considered a wanted terrorist.

In AoU, Wolverine decides, of his own free will, to go back in time and murder a famous hero. He has the support of Sue Storm, and everyone knew he was he gonna do that, and they were just like "Oh Wolverine, don't do that," but really they knew he'd do it anyway and they're just like "That Wolverine! What a rascal!" This is the only thing that happened in six issues.

:P

:lol:

So true with AvX.

I agree with Alaska on Scott being a douche for leaving his wife and newborn kid. That is probably the worst thing he's ever done. It's also totally out of character for him. Honestly, the first year of X-Factor is probably Cyclops written at his worst. Like there was some crazy editorial mandate to get him to appear in a new series regardless of where he'd been set up in Uncanny X-Men.

I know. Crazy, right?

(ugh, he's a douchenozzle in those issues...)
Image

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39606
Likes: 126 posts
Liked in: 194 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby Keb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Grayson wrote:
I have been reading X-Books off and on for several years. Ever since House of M, Cyclops has been forced to adopt a more aggressive stance but come on, look at all the things that were happening around him. Mutants are almost entirely wiped out in a matter of moments. The United States Government forces Cyclops to allow Sentinels, machines designed to kill mutants, onto the school grounds for "their own protection." Anti-mutant hate groups like the Purifiers, increased their aggression toward the remaining mutants, including murdering several students, mutant or otherwise, on the actual school grounds. An actual super villain took control of S.H.I.E.L.D., created his own team of "X-Men," and chased the real X-Men off of US soil. Sentinels attempted to wipe out a second island nation of mutants without anyone, from the Avengers to Power Pack, trying to help them.

Scott Summers himself has declared that he and his X-Men are going to protect everyone, regardless of whether or not they are mutant or human in the current volume of Uncanny X-Men. At worst, Scott Summers is now an Anti-Hero. The only reason that Scott Summers could be considered a villain right now, is because you want him to be a villain.

Ha! I don't want him to be a villain but I definitely see where he gets stuck straddling the fence.

Writers try too hard to portray him as stiff and rigid and that makes him come across as a douche and a villain. He is the guy who has to make the hard choices and he really just tries to do what's right for his community and his team. He's like one of those cops who puts the job before everything else.

He reminds me of Jimmy McNulty in the Wire (especially season 5) where he's so committed to a cause that he'll go that extra step into immorality to get the job done. That's basically how I've interpreted him since Morrisson X-Men up to AvX.

I still say Captain America was equally to blame for AvX. Its just that they made the Avengers the underdogs so people would root for them.

GiveWarAChance
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7939
Likes: 137 posts
Liked in: 609 posts
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am
Location: Watching you
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I really have to start reading this series to see if it's really as bad as you all are making it out to be. I have issues #1-3 sitting somewhere, waiting to be read.
Image

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7977
Likes: 340 posts
Liked in: 601 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:I agree with Alaska on Scott being a douche for leaving his wife and newborn kid. That is probably the worst thing he's ever done. It's also totally out of character for him. Honestly, the first year of X-Factor is probably Cyclops written at his worst. Like there was some crazy editorial mandate to get him to appear in a new series regardless of where he'd been set up in Uncanny X-Men.


In Scott's defense, Madelyne was an evil clone of Jean Grey created by Mr. Sinister. Plus, at least Cyclops didn't kill any children. :P

Keb wrote:I still say Captain America was equally to blame for AvX. Its just that they made the Avengers the underdogs so people would root for them.


I don't know, I feel like had the Avengers been possessed by the Phoenix Force, Cyclops and the X-Men still would have been portrayed as the villains, at least in the eyes of the characters in the Marvel Universe.
ImageImageImage

HNutz
User avatar
P&#1062;&#1048;K&#1063; &#1042;&#1071;&#1025;&#106
 
Posts: 14393
Likes: 2488 posts
Liked in: 375 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby HNutz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Between Civil War, Planet Hulk, AvX, and now Age of Ultron... wouldn't it be nice to have a GOOD crossover event that doesn't center on heroes fighting heroes?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 306 guests

Advertisement