Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 430 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 pm

covalesky wrote:Image

Is this the first Hickman book I really like?

Yes.

Because if you hated it, we would disown you.:P

Advertisement

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Arion wrote:
Please, tell me you bought it after reading my review.

Actually yes, but I won't tell you. Don't want you to get all smug and stuff :)

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Grayson wrote:
Because it's awesome and the second volume comes out tomorrow!

Cool. Just in time for my month order :D

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby misac » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 pm

The Mighty Thor by Fraction v.2 – I know this run has gotten a lot of shit In spite of all the same old shit of recent years; dead Thor, Asgard attacked, etc., I really enjoyed it.

A lot of Loki, Surfer, and others for a Thor title and it works. If it for more than an arc I think it’d be a problem.

Art was fantastic, Pasqual Ferry issues at least. The other guy went from ok to pretty good. The Kubert that works at Marvel did an issue and his art went from really good to terrible. Same problem with him in X-Men: Schism. What happen to this guy?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Wizzywig! Thanks to BM for reminding me to buy this, plus it was great to meet Ed Piskor!

I remember the days he's writing about here and even pulled a lot of the same scams as young BoingThump did back in the day. I was the Jude Terror circa the Apple IIe era of 300/1200 baud piracy. This is not known to many people, because about 20 years went by where I didn't even touch a personal computer again--basically not long after the advent of that first-gen boxy beige Macintosh until Windows Vista.

But before I turned my back on that whole community, my own handle was pretty well-known in the world-wide community of early hackers, pirates, and bulletin board operators (it wasn't Victorian Squid back then!). I even wrote my own BBS software and ran my own little phone-in-tha-cradle BBS for a couple years. (Not telling the name of it because my old handle is in it!)

Interesting thing, in the early to mid-1980s the local hacker/BBS community would actually get together periodically and have barbecues (at the Park Of Roses, BM), and disk/code swaps of course.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:20 pm

40oz Collected by Jim Mahfood

Was nice to read some more early work but damn the shit from pre-2000 was pretty bad. I did enjoy the latter stuff with Smoke Dog and the Grrl Scouts. Overall, if you like mini comics and you like Jim Mahfood, this is good. If you hate either, then don't bother with this.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Punisher: Dark Reign by Rick Remender & Jerome Open

Pretty good story. I didn't love it but it felt like a fun Punisher tale from the get-go. I enjoyed the first issue with the Sentry even if it was a bit of a Sentry jobs to Punisher deal. I like the idea of Pun using different MU hero weapons instead of just guns guns guns all the time. Looking forward to reading more.

Edit: had to say, while I'm usually split on Opeña art, I liked it here. It looked really gritty, more cartoon-like and not painted/static. I don't know what it is, maybe the colorist or maybe his line work but it added a nice compliment to the action-packed story.

Edit: Also loved the covers!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:51 pm

The Manhattan Projects Vol. 2 - There's just something about this book that makes it difficult to put down once you have started reading it. Hickman continues to build his fictionalized world of super geniuses but instead of otherworldly encounters, this time danger lurks in the form of jealous political figures who can't let go of the old ways. Albert Einstein continues to be my favorite character and apparently now he is the Junior Heavyweight Luchador Champion! That being said, as bizarre as some of Hickman's ideas and concepts have been so far, I was simply not prepared for the unexpected twist that the last issue took.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Manhattan Projects vol 2 by Jonathan Hickman & Nick Pitarra

Love this book! Some pretty gruesome shit going on. Loved the scene when Fermi went alien and killed everyone and Dahglian was all like "you good bro?" Wish we could've had more Fermi & Dag. Also loved the idea of the two science teams coming together. The secret Illuminati of the United States was hilarious! There are some really fun concepts happening in this book and it surprises me how accessible to non-science heads this series is. My only worry at this point is that we don't get to see much about some of the scientists in the series and that everyone just becomes a character with someone's name as opposed to historically based. I like the pairings (Feynman & Einstein, Oppenheimer & Groves, etc.) but it was good to see more separations and mixing up, like the scene with Feynman and Braun and the new cybernetics. Was kind of unimpressed with the whole JFK as a puppet thing as it just reminded me too much of James Ellroy's American Tabloid and so many other historical fictions that portray him that way. I definitely look forward to where the series goes next. Part of me wants it to go beyond just science history.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:23 pm

covalesky wrote:
Actually yes, but I won't tell you. Don't want you to get all smug and stuff :)

I'm naturally arrogant, you know?

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm naturally arrogant, you know?

You don't seem like it. But you know yourself better than I :)

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Keb wrote:went alien and killed everyone and Dahglian was all like "you good bro?" Wish we could've had more Fermi & Dag.

Come to think of it, I was disappointed that Fermi and Dahglian took a back seat during this volume. Don't get me wrong, I really liked more of the new supporting cast members that were introduced but I just felt like Fermi and Dahglian became afterthoughts after having such crucial roles in the first volume. That being said, I love the pair of Yuri Gagarin and Laika.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Yeah they were cool. Totally expected that dog to start talking though.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Punisher: Dead End by Rick Remender, Tan Eng Huat and Jason Pearson

Continuing the frolicking of last volume, this one picks right up where we left off. Remender shows that he grew up reading Marvel by resurrecting a bunch of dead villains killed in old comics from a long time ago. He then proceeds to show a lot of them get fucked up by Pun. Then he builds on Henry. Then he has a standoff between Hood and Pun. It was okay. Not as fun as the last trade but it kept me reading. I didn't understand where the annual was supposed to fit and that felt awkward with Spidey making an appearance. The writing was definitely Remender though and it had that signature Remender feel to it. I was kind of disappointed in the art as I thought it all was mediocre and at times I just disliked the storytelling on Huat's part. All in all it was okay but I hope that FrankenCastle is a lot better.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Oh yeah, didn't you buy Fear Agent Library Edition Vol. 1? Have you had a chance to read any of it?
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand