Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 988 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Oh yeah, didn't you buy Fear Agent Library Edition Vol. 1? Have you had a chance to read any of it?
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Nah, not yet. Its still in the shrink wrap. I have to get through my gigantic reading list (or make a dent in it) before I read that piece.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Punisher: Franken-Castle by Rick Remender & Friends

This shit got hella fuckin serious! Loved the issue where Daken carves up Pun like a roast chicken. It was a bit short but it was fun as hell. The Monster issues were the best and Tony Moore blew them out of the park! I enjoyed them the most. The stuff with Daken was okay but the fun and intensity really dropped and the collection ended on a really short note. I guess this got cancelled or something because it seemed like there should have been more (like Frank dealing with the Hood or the resurrected 80s villains). Oh well... This collection really stands well on its own. Its bizarre, intense and fun and I had a lot of the same feeling when reading Planet Hulk and Enemy of the State. Definitely worth the purchase.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:23 am

Punisher: In the Blood by Rick Remender, Roland Boschi & Mick Bertilorenzi

This was the final chapter in Remender's Punisher saga and it was actually a lot better than I expected. He really pumps the fathers and sons theme to death (similar to what he's doing in Captain America right now) but he does it in such a way that it maintains a pretty decent story and doesn't get too convoluted in continuity. It was good that he got to wrap up his story and I'm glad he effectively "fixed" some of the shittier points of his entire run. I hated Henry Russo from the get-go so it was nice he set him free. The chick pretending to be his wife was predictable as well but kind of a relief considering what went down. Its nice that Remender tried to preserve Frank's family even though its kinda fucked up what he had him do to them earlier.

Overall, I'd say it was a good take on a character I don't actually care for. This will probably get overshadowed by his UXF run but its a pretty fun story. In retrospect, we got a good balance of superhero, crime and monster stories.

Okay back to Sandman and Thor.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:31 am

Sandman was good for like 12-18 issues. I can't remember anymore exactly where it tripped over its own pretensions, somewhere in there.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:31 am

Those Strange Tales books are awesome, Matt Kindt wrote the only Black Widow story I've ever enjoyed.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:57 am

covalesky wrote:
You don't seem like it. But you know yourself better than I :)

I was kidding. I'm very humble. I've even won awards at being humble. Big awards.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Sandman was good for like 12-18 issues. I can't remember anymore exactly where it tripped over its own pretensions, somewhere in there.

:shock:

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm

so far its been great. if it keeps this quality it will be one of my favorite robo books.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Keb wrote: :shock:

I think it was later, actually. Let's say a good 24-30 issues.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby misac » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Keb wrote:Punisher: Franken-Castle by Rick Remender & Friends

This shit got hella fuckin serious! Loved the issue where Daken carves up Pun like a roast chicken. It was a bit short but it was fun as hell. The Monster issues were the best and Tony Moore blew them out of the park! I enjoyed them the most. The stuff with Daken was okay but the fun and intensity really dropped and the collection ended on a really short note. I guess this got cancelled or something because it seemed like there should have been more (like Frank dealing with the Hood or the resurrected 80s villains). Oh well... This collection really stands well on its own. Its bizarre, intense and fun and I had a lot of the same feeling when reading Planet Hulk and Enemy of the State. Definitely worth the purchase.

I liked it more than I though I would but felt like they could have done more. Tony Moore is pretty great.

I didn’t plan on ever buying this but I got the Ennis Punisher Omnibus on ebay and the guy included the Franken Castle HC.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Hopefully I will be doing a lot of reading this weekend. First up will be the second Chew Omnivore Edition and then with any luck, I hope to finally get through the New X-Men Omnibus so I can start on rereading Astonishing X-Men.
ImageImageImage

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby misac » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Avengers Academy: Fear Itself – Yeah, I’m far behind on my reading. Remembering the FI stuff was pretty :roll: but I liked seeing the kids deal with their first major crossover.

They seem to be setting up an arch nemesis but since they’re teens the guy has to be a teen too and I find that kind of annoying. And he does the thing saying super heroes don’t really do any good, and I’m just tired of that.

Really liked Sean Chen’s art and Tom Raney was mostly good, I can dislike him at times. But he does draw nice hair. :D

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Quick question. The book store up the street from me has a copy of the Planet Hulk hardcover for $20. Ordinarily I would think that would be a pretty good deal but the cover is literally beat to hell. That is something that will usually drive me crazy. Should I overlook the damaged cover or should I pass?
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Grayson wrote:Quick question. The book store up the street from me has a copy of the Planet Hulk hardcover for $20. Ordinarily I would think that would be a pretty good deal but the cover is literally beat to hell. That is something that will usually drive me crazy. Should I overlook the damaged cover or should I pass?

Depends on how bad you want to read it? $20 is about the going price for one in damaged condition, on the other hand if you watch eBay you might get one in better shape for not much more.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand