Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Depends on how bad you want to read it? $20 is about the going price for one in damaged condition, on the other hand if you watch eBay you might get one in better shape for not much more.

I've already read it and I liked it but I can live without it. I just thought it might be something cool to add to my collection but I don't know that I can get around the damage unless it was a really good deal. You pretty much confirmed the same thing that my searching has, that it isn't really that great of a deal.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Grayson wrote:
I've already read it and I liked it but I can live without it. I just thought it might be something cool to add to my collection but I don't know that I can get around the damage unless it was a really good deal. You pretty much confirmed the same thing that my searching has, that it isn't really that great of a deal.

Agreed!
+

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Grayson wrote:Quick question. The book store up the street from me has a copy of the Planet Hulk hardcover for $20. Ordinarily I would think that would be a pretty good deal but the cover is literally beat to hell. That is something that will usually drive me crazy. Should I overlook the damaged cover or should I pass?

No. I love planet hulk but beated up covers is meh. If it was just the dust jacket, yeah because those suck but not if the coverings are damaged. You can get a new paperback version for about that price (I think mine was $25).

I think yoni was selling his a while ago for like ten bucks. Crazy man.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Keb wrote:No. I love planet hulk but beated up covers is meh. If it was just the dust jacket, yeah because those suck but not if the coverings are damaged. You can get a new paperback version for about that price (I think mine was $25).

I think yoni was selling his a while ago for like ten bucks. Crazy man.

The dust jacket took the majority of the damage but the actual cover underneath took it's fair share as well.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Fuck daht

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Nah, that's a reading copy. You've seen yourself what better ones are going for on the eBays, roughly the same or sometimes less.

For people who remember what the book was selling for a year ago, remember that used prices never stay stable. Even an out-of-print book can suffer from lower demand and more people selling used copies.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:33 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I think it was later, actually. Let's say a good 24-30 issues.

Series is solid until Season of Mists. Then it goes into awesome territory and after that story it starts a downhill struggle that never really gets back to that level. It gets good again at the end but it's just that: the end. Some of the short single stories in Fables & Reflections are brilliant but some of them are just ugh. Brief Lives is pretty good too.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:52 am

Keb wrote:Series is solid until Season of Mists. Then it goes into awesome territory and after that story it starts a downhill struggle that never really gets back to that level. It gets good again at the end but it's just that: the end. Some of the short single stories in Fables & Reflections are brilliant but some of them are just ugh. Brief Lives is pretty good too.

Come to think of it, I can't remember if I ever even read the end of the series. Other than that, as far as my memory serves after all this time, I think that's all pretty accurate. Since it came out monthly, I've only re-read the first few arcs in trade (the run having been lost with my first comix collection).

You gotta get those Strange Tales books, there's a few weak segments but most of it is brilliantly hilarious.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:37 pm

I just read Manhattan Projects volume 2 with a massive grin on my face throughout. More of this all the time please.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Come to think of it, I can't remember if I ever even read the end of the series. Other than that, as far as my memory serves after all this time, I think that's all pretty accurate. Since it came out monthly, I've only re-read the first few arcs in trade (the run having been lost with my first comix collection).

You gotta get those Strange Tales books, there's a few weak segments but most of it is brilliantly hilarious.

It's on the todo list.

I finally got billable work so some cash will go towards some new reading.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Zero wrote:I just read Manhattan Projects volume 2 with a massive grin on my face throughout. More of this all the time please.

:smt023

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Chew Omnivore Edition Vol. 2 - Layman and Guillory continue to add all kinds of wonderful additions to their fantastically off-beat universe. In this volume we are introduced to Tony's extended family, which includes a twin sister and a couple of surprises that may catch you off guard. Keb wasn't lying when he said the characters only get better as more are introduced. Ominous fire writing in the sky, top secret missions with busty USDA agents, and alien conspiracies, what more could you ask for from a series about a FDA Agent who literally takes a bite out of crime? (Bad Pun?) All things considered, I really do love this series so far and it doesn't fail to keep me intrigued or wanting more.

Last time I said that I thought that Ken Jeong could play Tony's older brother Chow and now I can't get the idea of John Goodman as Mason Savoy out of my head. You hear me Hollywood?
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Grayson wrote:
The dust jacket took the majority of the damage but the actual cover underneath took it's fair share as well.

My advice: don't buy aything with a damaged cover unless they sell it to you for 1 buck or less.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:50 pm

New X-Men Omnibus - I finally got around to putting a pretty decent dent into this gigantic collection this weekend. I would have liked to have finished the whole book but unfortunately I only made it halfway through the "Assault on Weapon Plus" arc. It's been pretty great going back and rereading this collection, especially since it has been 9 years since the finale was released. Revisiting the first appearances of characters like Cassandra Nova, Fantomex, Quentin Quire, the Stepford Cuckoos, and Xorn has been very refreshing. Honestly, I had forgotten how much I actually enjoyed Xorn as a character. Going back and rereading this series has really made me appreciate just how genius Morrison's approach to the Xorn character really was. The final revelation about Xorn is as big of a punch in the gut to the reader as it is to the characters in the story.

Speaking of gut punches, every time I would turn the page and start a new issue that was illustrated by Igor Kordey, it was like somebody was viciously knocking the wind out of me. The art in the rest of this collection is so great, with artists like Frank Quitely, Leinil Francis Yu, Ethan Van Sciver, John Paul Leon, Keron Grant, Phil Jimenez, and even Chris Bachalo, that seeing Kordey's scribbles tends to be extremely jarring. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the book.

All things considered, this is still a wonderful collection of a great run on an X-Men title and it's sad to think about how many great things from this run have been undone over the years by writers who haven't produced stories half as good as this.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Grayson wrote:

New X-Men Omnibus - I finally got around to putting a pretty decent dent into this gigantic collection this weekend. I would have liked to have finished the whole book but unfortunately I only made it halfway through the "Assault on Weapon Plus" arc. It's been pretty great going back and rereading this collection, especially since it has been 9 years since the finale was released. Revisiting the first appearances of characters like Cassandra Nova, Fantomex, Quentin Quire, the Stepford Cuckoos, and Xorn has been very refreshing. Honestly, I had forgotten how much I actually enjoyed Xorn as a character. Going back and rereading this series has really made me appreciate just how genius Morrison's approach to the Xorn character really was. The final revelation about Xorn is as big of a punch in the gut to the reader as it is to the characters in the story.

Speaking of gut punches, every time I would turn the page and start a new issue that was illustrated by Igor Kordey, it was like somebody was viciously knocking the wind out of me. The art in the rest of this collection is so great, with artists like Frank Quitely, Leinil Francis Yu, Ethan Van Sciver, John Paul Leon, Keron Grant, Phil Jimenez, and even Chris Bachalo, that seeing Kordey's scribbles tends to be extremely jarring. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the book.

All things considered, this is still a wonderful collection of a great run on an X-Men title and it's sad to think about how many great things from this run have been undone over the years by writers who haven't produced stories half as good as this.

Oh yeah, those Kordey issues are really ugly. Which is weird because in 80s Kordey was a truly great artist. New X-Men had such an amazing artistic team, Frank Quitely, Ethan Van Sciver and Phil Jimenez were my favorites.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand