Advertisement

Age Of Oops-tron #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Age Of Oops-tron #6

Postby Keb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Everyone should have learned that from Secret Invasion.

Instead you've all kept right on buying his books, probably roughly two-thirds of you hating most of them, and collectively propelled Bendis to superstardom.

At which time he blithely drops this load of donkey dung on you as a thank you.

P.S. Those X-Men books of his are more talking-talking-talking.

I stopped about 15 issues into New Avengers. By then Powers was boring, Ultimate Spiderman was drivel (actually it was pretty much always drivel, I just came late to the party) and his daredevil was ending. Besides Alias, early Powers (at Image) and Daredevil, everything he's ever written is him trying to write hour-long television shows in graphic storytelling format.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1063 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Keb wrote:I stopped about 15 issues into New Avengers. By then Powers was boring, Ultimate Spiderman was drivel (actually it was pretty much always drivel, I just came late to the party) and his daredevil was ending. Besides Alias, early Powers (at Image) and Daredevil, everything he's ever written is him trying to write hour-long television shows in graphic storytelling format.

Where twelve issues = 1 hour show?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Something like that.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
And say what you will about Disassembled, at least stuff happened!

Agreed. Disassembled put the Avengers into best seller status and they've been there for a decade. But keep in mind that you were getting a better value for your dollar/whatever-currency-you-use at the time. I've been pretty vocal about the nearly obscene $3.99 price point for the last few years, but I've caved from time to time. AoU is the most extreme example of decompressed, overpriced storytelling to date. I realize it makes me sound like a grumpy old man, but I challenge anyone to dispute it. It's pretty clear that the brick and mortar are going to either stay marginalized as a niche industry (likely) or they're going to start to rapidly expire. If the big two want to market to the trade buyers, just pull the fucking trigger and just go to trades. Period. But don't waste time putting out 20 pages of nothing but spreads of destruction. If you want to make widescreen action movies, change careers. I doesn't work in comics anymore...not for the money. "Grumblegrumblegrumble"

(Hey, who peed in my Cheerios any way?)

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:24 am

alaska1125 wrote:Agreed. Disassembled put the Avengers into best seller status and they've been there for a decade. But keep in mind that you were getting a better value for your dollar/whatever-currency-you-use at the time. I've been pretty vocal about the nearly obscene $3.99 price point for the last few years, but I've caved from time to time. AoU is the most extreme example of decompressed, overpriced storytelling to date. I realize it makes me sound like a grumpy old man, but I challenge anyone to dispute it. It's pretty clear that the brick and mortar are going to either stay marginalized as a niche industry (likely) or they're going to start to rapidly expire. If the big two want to market to the trade buyers, just pull the fucking trigger and just go to trades. Period. But don't waste time putting out 20 pages of nothing but spreads of destruction. If you want to make widescreen action movies, change careers. I doesn't work in comics anymore...not for the money. "Grumblegrumblegrumble"

(Hey, who peed in my Cheerios any way?)

Like everything, Decompression is fine if you do it well. AoU (the two issues I read) is NOT how you do Decompression. In fact, almost every seven issue Marvel event is Decompression done about as badly as you can possibly do it. It's padding. It's stretching. It's way too many two page spreads of things that don't need to be two page spreads and then a few more of those two page spreads just in case you were missing a two page spread. Even if three of these things come out a month, it's still three issues where nothing freaking happens except that you're twelve dollars and taxes lighter.

Now, Decompression has been the name of the game ever since trade collections came into style. I was probably in my mid-twenties at the time and that means I was in a very different place in my life. I had so much disposable income that spending forty dollars on comics a week was a reasonable amount of money to waste on a habit while also probably buying two forty-fifty dollar video games a month (and maybe playing half way through the games). It also helped that comics were still $2.25-2.50 (maybe even $1.99?).

It's 2013. I've got two kids, a live-in Mother-in-Law and only one income to support us. I've pretty much gone all digital and I'm patient enough to wait for my comics to drop down a buck or two before picking them up (I'm a bit upset that IDW started pricing their month old comics at $2.99 instead of $1.99). Even then, I'm not picking up fifteen comics a week any more. I'm lucky to pick up three or four a month. When I went into my shop last, I think I splurged and picked up three comics. The owner/clerk basically commented that this is what it's like having kids because he REMEMBERS how I used to buy comics.

The point is, if I'm spending four dollars on a comic it BETTER DAMN WELL BE WORTH FOUR DOLLARS. Not "this will be worth about four dollars if only I buy every issue in the series" but "This comic better give me four dollars' worth of entertainment."

Which is why I look for deals. And find myself spending WAY more money of video games. They're a much more satisfying waste of my money.

But I'm no longer able to leave them half finished.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 am

Keb wrote:Something like that.

I don't think Sam & Twitch was like that.

Hab

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:21 pm

habitual wrote:
I don't think Sam & Twitch was like that.

Hab

Powers and Alias weren't really like that either. At least at the beginning.

He leaves very little to the white space, portrays all the action and dialogue as it happens in continuous motion. It limits the imagination of the reader and extends the timing.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand