Advertisement

DC Owns Superman, Now Move On

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 364 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:49 pm

In a move that sent shockwaves across the online comic book community, Judge Otis Wright III of U.S. District Court of Central California ruled that the person/entity that purchased something actually owned it.

Source: Court Says: SUPERBOY/ SUPERMAN Rights Case is Over

On April 18, 2013 creator rights in America officially died as Judge Otis Wright III of U.S. District Court ruled that 100% of the rights to Superman and related properties belonged to DC Comics. Quoted from Nerwsarama:

In court April 18, 2013, Wright ruled that “The Court holds that the 2001 settlement agreement between DC and the Siegels re-granted the Siegels’ Superman, Superboy, and a Superman advertisements that ran in the 1930s to DC in return for substantial advances and royalties,” and that the motion of DC/WB to end these litigations is granted.

That’s lawyer speak for “DC owns Superman, now leave me alone.”.

This is especially difficult for the heirs of Jerry Siegel because of the specific mention of Superboy. This aspect of the case started in 1943, again, from Nerwsarama:

…when a five-page Superboy story was printed while Jerry Siegel, who contended he had pitched such a story, was in the Army deployed in service of WWII. After litigation, he and co-creator Joe Shuster were paid $94,000 "to end all claims." Adjusted for inflation to today's rates, that's the equivalent of approximately $884,000.

For a judge to rule that a measly $884,000 would be enough to purchase the rights to a character who had appeared in a five page long story that only the original creator (although, not actual owner due to already having sold that off) could have possibly come up with is preposterous. Furthermore, we all know that Superman would still be who he is today if DC hadn’t forced, at gun point, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster to sell their creations and then went on to publish Superman comics for 75 years. If DC had paid them what Superman would eventually be worth, then not only would they both still be alive due to money transfusions, but the world would be at peace, panda bears would be plentiful, and there would be no pain, no sickness, and no suffering.

To quote a close personal friend; “DC BAD!”

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 413 posts

Re: DC Owns Superman, Now Move On

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Good I'm tired of listening to these bitches cry. Now if DC would stop fucking up Superman everything would be fine.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Uh...I'm just going to quietly watch this thread from the balcony...

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:52 am

avengingtitan wrote:Good I'm tired of listening to these bitches cry. Now if DC would stop fucking up Superman everything would be fine.

What? DC stop fucking up a flagship character? Are you new here? :wink:

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 261 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:25 am

Zenguru wrote:What? DC stop fucking up a flagship character? Are you new here? :wink:

We've been over this, Detective Comics is the flagship title because the company is DC. Therefore, the flagship character is Batman.

...Whom they are also fucking up.

:groucho:

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 468 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 pm

It's so ridiculous how long this copyright suit got dragged out for decades when it could have resolved so many years ago. I mean how many times has DC and the families of Superman's creators been to court over this?

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:10 am

Log-Man wrote:
We've been over this, Detective Comics is the flagship title because the company is DC. Therefore, the flagship character is Batman.

...Whom they are also fucking up.

:groucho:

Indeed. The only reasons for reading Batman are Morrison and Snyder. And I got a feeling they'll be leaving the character soon.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand