Advertisement

Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 am

I wrote this for my Blog, thoughts?

http://niamsuggitt.tumblr.com/post/48614878749/regardless-of-your-politics-superman-is-more-important

Last Thursday (April 18th) was the 75th Anniversary of the publication of Action Comics #1. This, for those of you who don’t know, is the first appearance of Superman, the first comic-book superhero in a 13-page story written and drawn by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

It was overall a great day, people took a break from the horrifying news going on, and shared their memories and thoughts on one of the world’s most famous fictional characters. Mark Waid’s Twitter account was particularly brilliant. But in amongst all of this celebration, I found myself annoyed by two things. The first one is fairly minor, and it’s that several people (including CBR) saw fit to include Superman singing a song in Final Crisis as one of their favourite Superman moments, which to me, is absolutely ludicrous, Final Crisis is shit and it made me angry just to be reminded of it.

The second thing that annoyed me is rather more interesting and rather more worrying to me. It was the fact that a significant amount of comics fans were choosing to remark the day not as Superman’s anniversary, but as Lois Lane’s.

Now of course, Lois Lane’s first appearance also came in Action Comics #1, and it’s perfectly cool to make mention of her. Lois Lane is an important character in DC Comics history. But it rankled me to see people celebrating Lois over Superman, because really, she’s a supporting character to him. Superman is more important than her. Lois Lane is only relevant because of Superman, because of her relationship to Superman and because she works with Clark Kent. Even though she had a long-running solo series, it was still titled ‘Superman’s Girlfriend, Lois Lane’, and I very much doubt there are any instalments of that book that don’t feature an appearance from Superman himself. Hell, even today, whenever she appears in a comic, chances are Superman does too (this is not to say I don’t think Lois could have stories away from Supes, she probably could, but it’s not what’s been done). In essence, Superman is the sun around which Lois, along with many other characters such as Jimmy Olsen, Lex Luthor, Perry White, Lana Lang and more revolve.

I’m sure I will be accused of sexism for saying this, but it’s true. No Superman, no Lois Lane. You should celebrate her yes, but not at the expense of the character she exists to be a foil to. People jumping to celebrate her are missing the wood for the trees.

Can you imagine if, instead of celebrating the recent 50th Anniversaries of Spider-Man and The Hulk, people were instead excited about the 50th Anniversary of Aunt May or Rick Jones. When Wonder Woman turns 75 will we celebrate Steve Trevor over her? Daredevil turns 50 next year, are we to get ‘Foggy Nelson Appreciation Day’? This is not a gender issue, it’s a matter of main characters and supporting characters.

I think examples like this show the biggest problem amongst comics fans today. We are too busy fighting smaller battles about sexism or racism or whatever that we miss what’s really important. Last Thursday was, essentially, not just the 75th Anniversary of the creation of Superman, or Lois Lane, or Zatara, or Tex Thompson, but of the entire concept and industry of superheroes. Without Superman, and without that comic, there would be no superhero comics as we know it. There would be no ‘DC women kicking ass’ at all, because there would be no DC women and probably no DC at all (although I suppose, without Superman, comics would probably still be dominated by funny animals, do they have genders?).

In fans’ rush to be seen as progressive and anti-sexist, they lost sight of the true significance of Superman, and just made themselves, and their arguments, seem small. Lois Lane deserves to be celebrated, but alongside Superman, not separately. She is, after all, Superman’s girlfriend. (Well, not at the moment, but, you know what I mean).

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 am

You're making this up. People don't really care about either.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 am

guitarsmashley wrote:You're making this up. People don't really care about either.

I'm not, DC Women Kicking Ass spent 2 days harping on about Lois Lane.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am

Punchy wrote:

That would make sense considering the nature of that website.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 365 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 am

Punchy wrote:

That's because she has no sense of humor and needs to quit reading comics and get a pet.

IMO, DCWKAMMV

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 am

Man, I'm getting the crap kicked out of me on Tumblr.

Not liking these feels.

I'm not trying to be sexist, I like Lois Lane, I just don't think she's as important as Superman.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 365 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:35 am

I don't know why you bother, Punch.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:37 am

Keb wrote:I don't know why you bother, Punch.

Well, I'm used to nobody reading my Blog Posts apart from people who read them on here!

I think this will be the last time I dip my toes into comics' gender issues. I'll just stick to taking the piss out of Avengers Arena.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am

Are they raising issue that Lois was a positive role model of women of that age or that she is an important character to Superman because there is a difference.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 am

Punchy wrote:

None of those things sound like people caring.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
None of those things sound like people caring.

I've had 49 responses, people seem to care.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 am

bkthomson wrote:Are they raising issue that Lois was a positive role model of women of that age or that she is an important character to Superman because there is a difference.

Because how can we forget her tackling the difficult issues.

- Les Paul

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 470 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 am

bkthomson wrote:Are they raising issue that Lois was a positive role model of women of that age or that she is an important character to Superman because there is a difference.

Agreed.

1938 didn't have many strong confident women holding down the same occupation as a man (and doing a better at it) in real life. Having it in a comic was pretty cool.

That Lois mainly became nothing but a romantic interest after WWII doesn't erase the fact that before then, she empowered feminism before there was feminism.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 242 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 am

Utter lies. This entire article. Everyone knows that vile cruel alien is not important. The true most important person in the world is Lex Luthor!!!!

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 am

Zechs wrote:Utter lies. This entire article. Everyone knows that vile cruel alien is not important. The true most important person in the world is Lex Luthor!!!!

Lex didn't appear until Action Comics #23!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand