Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Kordey was the fill in artist for the X-titles then. He's actually a decent artist when allowed to take his time. Considering all the fill in work he did for New and X-treme X-Men (plus other titles), I don't think its fair to complain about it. He was given a book with Claremont during the Reloaded event but then kicked off by Marvel and replaced without being told. I have a lot of respect for the guy for what he did at that time.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1074 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Keb wrote:Kordey was the fill in artist for the X-titles then. He's actually a decent artist when allowed to take his time. Considering all the fill in work he did for New and X-treme X-Men (plus other titles), I don't think its fair to complain about it. He was given a book with Claremont during the Reloaded event but then kicked off by Marvel and replaced without being told. I have a lot of respect for the guy for what he did at that time.

I'm just calling it like I see it in the context of this series. When you are reading New X-Men and you go from a Quitely or Van Sciver issue to a Kordey issue, it's a pretty big shock to the system.

Case in point:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

Or the entire sequence where Jean is having a Phoenix manifestation while having a conversation with the Professor. I can't find any pictures of it right now but the whole layout is just terrible.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Yeah that Emma Frost picture is turrible.

Still, if it's anyone's problem, it's Marvel's. Who the fuck tries to rotate Frank Quitely and Ethan Van Sciver on a monthly comic? That's like running turtles in a relay race.

Jiminez was my fav.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah that Emma Frost picture is turrible.

Still, if it's anyone's problem, it's Marvel's. Who the fuck tries to rotate Frank Quitely and Ethan Van Sciver on a monthly comic? That's like running turtles in a relay race.

Jiminez was my fav.

If I am being honest, I think that John Paul Leon was my favorite artist on the series and I feel that he should have been utilized more. That being said, you have guys like Quitely, Van Sciver, Jimenez, and Bachalo working on this title. For the life of me, I can't understand why between those 4, Leinil Francis Yu and John Paul Leon, you would even need Kordey to fill in.
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Commenter Matt Little wanted to know the truth behind rumors about how quickly Igor Kordey had to draw issues of New X-Men when he substituted for Frank Quitely.

The answer is truly amazing. Here it is, courtesy of an interview with Kordey at Newsarama (No credit, so I presume it was Matt Brady who conducted the interview…a really nice piece, by the way).

Newsarama: When you came to Marvel, what was the impression that you were under in regards to your workload? Was it going to be, from the outset, just one book, or were they (or you) wanting to look to expand your load to include more projects?

Igor Kordey: It was just Cable in the beginning. I would always deliver finished artwork a bit ahead of time. I knew, by previous experience, that anything can happen to you physically, and that is better to have episode or two in stock in advance, that to be late.

At same time Mr. Tischman, the writer, started to be involved in writing for some TV serial and being late with scripts. I started to ask for new jobs, to fill bigger and bigger gaps. So came Black Widow, and bit later, an offer to fill in for New X-Men. Issue #120 was first, and after I did it in ten days – pencils and inks, editors were so happy, that they offered me #119 to do – the other guys were still late with their part.

And then it started: offers for Captain America and the Storm “Arena” story; everybody wanted me to work for them. I phoned and said: I can do it, but if you like me so much, give me higher rate per page. After two days I was offered exclusive contract – and the rest is a legend.

NRAMA: Over the years you were at Marvel, it seemed as the pendulum of quality swung in wild arcs, with your Cable and Soldier X being quite solid, while your New X-Men fill ins, while good, had almost a manic energy behind them, and in the eyes of a lot of readers, not up to the quality of your Cable work. What happened? Were you just overloaded?

Kordey: Yes. In May of ’02, I ended up finishing four books in parallel: the last Cable, the first Soldier X, the last part of Black Widow and New X-Men #124. It was insane! And it was logical to fail, at least in on one of them – New X-Men happened to be that horrific book.

NRAMA: In those days where you had what many artists would see as an overloaded plate, what was your timetable to complete a full issue?

Kordey: A week. The Shi-ar arc looks really horrible, but I still like my Fantomex arc – it’s strong, man! Actually, I received a lot of support and appreciation for that arc from numerous fans from Europe, who were ecstatic about such grittiness and expressiveness in X-Men world.

NRAMA: That said though, did you ever turn in an issue where you felt it wasn’t up to your normal standards for quality?

Kordey: …from today’s point of view, many of those books are bellow my standards of quality…that’s the fact. I got lost in delusions that this expressiveness is the right way to do it, and nobody stopped me. I received a very polite call from my X-Men editor about necessity to become slick, but at that time I didn’t have a clue what the heck is that suppose to mean, and nobody complained too much as long as books were coming on time.

I think, that’s the crucial moment – nobody said “Hey, stop! Wait a second! Put yourself together! Let’s work it out together; this, this and that is wrong! Try again and take it slow…” I was my only judge, jury and executioner all the time. In the publishing industry editors are skippers, they navigating the writer through all storms, whirlpools, and quicksand of novel writing. Those are people with vision, and for most comic editors you can not give such attribute… I never had luck to work with strong visionaries like, Axel Alonso, for example.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Perhaps the others were only contracted for so many issues or couldn't take on more work beyond what they had committed to do.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 156 posts

Postby misac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:30 pm

X-Men Legacy: Five Miles South of the Universe – Mike Carey’s last X-Men arc. Got the trade a while ago but I didn’t want it to end. :-(

It was really good story with the X-Men in space. Dealt somewhat with the fallout of War of Kings and I really liked that. I find small things like this are more entertaining in a shared universe than big crossovers.

Real bummer that they’re not doing anything with Rogue after Carey did such great things with her. She wasn’t in Wolverine & the X-Men in the first trade. I’m not reading Uncanny Avengers so that doesn’t count. :P And she was written poorly in the first issue anyway.

Art was good. Steve Kurth was better in this than in AvX Consequences. Khoi Pham was pretty good, he draws good faces.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Keb wrote:Kordey was the fill in artist for the X-titles then. He's actually a decent artist when allowed to take his time. Considering all the fill in work he did for New and X-treme X-Men (plus other titles), I don't think its fair to complain about it. He was given a book with Claremont during the Reloaded event but then kicked off by Marvel and replaced without being told. I have a lot of respect for the guy for what he did at that time.

I reread the first of three big collections recently and I kind of liked his art this time around. There are some heinous parts but I liked it more than not.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Grayson wrote:
If I am being honest, I think that John Paul Leon was my favorite artist on the series and I feel that he should have been utilized more. That being said, you have guys like Quitely, Van Sciver, Jimenez, and Bachalo working on this title. For the life of me, I can't understand why between those 4, Leinil Francis Yu and John Paul Leon, you would even need Kordey to fill in.

Didn’t he just do one issue? :P I think I liked him best too.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:42 pm

misac wrote:Didn’t he just do one issue? :P I think I liked him best too.

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. :oops:

Damn, I really did enjoy his work on that issue though. It was such a crucial building block in establishing the future relationship between Scott and Emma too.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Two. He did the Scott/Emma issue and the Xorn in Mutant Town issue.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Keb wrote:Two. He did the Scott/Emma issue and the Xorn in Mutant Town issue.

You are correct sir. John Paul Leon did New X-Men #127 and #131.

ImageImage

Both of these issues are good examples of just how great this run was.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 pm

My fav is the one in the gentlemen's club.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Keb wrote:My fav is the one in the gentlemen's club.

Yeah, that's a good one. It was Chris Bachalo's first issue on Grant Morrison's run if I am not mistaken and considering the state they are in now, it was fun to see Cyclops and Wolverine interacting the way that they did.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Yup. It was also something Morrisson planned on doing from the get-go. It was the first issue of New X-Men I bought and when I read it I was floored. I was like "Wait, a comic about two guys in a strip club drinking and talking? Dope!" The whole Weapon Plus story was brilliant and I'm glad I jumped on when I did. I can remember so vividly the anticipation I'd have on Wednesday going to the comic shop to pick up a new issue of that series.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand