Friday, May 27, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "At least we're not Bleeding Cool!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


So I deactivated Facebook

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:15 pm

FYI for those of you who are wondering who unfriended you.

It feels really good. I don't know what it is, but there's some sort of albatross involved with that site. I deactivated it way back when I was in university but then I reactivated it for school because I was the president of a student organization. Lately though I've noticed that my experience kind of devolved into just looking at the newsfeed for the sake of looking at it. Eventually it went from keeping up with my peeps who went away to other countries and cities for their graduate studies to keeping up with OHers in their real lives and then eventually just unsubscribing people who post random "inspirational" quote images or insipid stories about how awful the world is. Eventually checking it just got really tiresome.
User avatar

MrBlack

WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Good for you. I've taken breaks on occasion when things have gotten to heavy for me, but I still enjoy using it to keep up with people I don't see very often.

Although nowadays I use Facebook primarily to see what article from the Onion GHERU is reading at any given time.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 pm

I was just getting ready to add you... :-(
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Keb wrote:FYI for those of you who are wondering who unfriended you.

It feels really good. I don't know what it is, but there's some sort of albatross involved with that site. I deactivated it way back when I was in university but then I reactivated it for school because I was the president of a student organization. Lately though I've noticed that my experience kind of devolved into just looking at the newsfeed for the sake of looking at it. Eventually it went from keeping up with my peeps who went away to other countries and cities for their graduate studies to keeping up with OHers in their real lives and then eventually just unsubscribing people who post random "inspirational" quote images or insipid stories about how awful the world is. Eventually checking it just got really tiresome.


But how will I let you know that I'm having a good day?
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:22 pm

or buying a new shirt?
User avatar

MrBlack

WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:22 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:or buying a new shirt?

Or making delicious homemade bagels?

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 pm

I fucking love Facebook.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm

I think Facebook can encourage you to take an inactive role in friendship. I find myself just following my friends' lives on there and almost never commenting. We know all about each other, but never actually speak about it. It's weird.
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Yeah, I uses facebook just to keep up with people, most of who are OH people.
User avatar

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:45 pm

What's facebook?
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Facebook: when you absolutely positively have to see pictures of what your friends had for dinner tonight.
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:51 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Facebook: when you absolutely positively have to see pictures of what your friend's had for dinner tonight.

Exhibit A: guitarsmashley. :smile:
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:55 pm

bkthomson wrote:Exhibit A: guitarsmashley. :smile:


Give me a little more credit than that, actually I charge you with finding more that 5 photos of food on my FB page. I will even go so far as to say that only 1 of those 5 will be something I didn't make.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:01 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I think Facebook can encourage you to take an inactive role in friendship. I find myself just following my friends' lives on there and almost never commenting. We know all about each other, but never actually speak about it. It's weird.


That's not a good thing, though.

When I ask people who are "on" Facebook whether or not it's worth the trouble to use it, most of them say the equivalent of "Gawd, no!" like they've contracted some awful disease they are trying not to expose me to.

I've thought of using it for business-related stuff, but the facebook mechanisms don't even make it very useful for that--see Warren Ellis's "Unsocial Media: The Uselessness Of Facebook And Google+", for example.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
That's not a good thing, though.

When I ask people who are "on" Facebook whether or not it's worth the trouble to use it, most of them say the equivalent of "Gawd, no!" like they've contracted some awful disease they are trying not to expose me to.

I've thought of using it for business-related stuff, but the facebook mechanisms don't even make it very useful for that--see Warren Ellis's "Unsocial Media: The Uselessness Of Facebook And Google+", for example.


Oh, I wasn't saying it's a good thing. :lol: It's terrible. I've actually been thinking about starting to write real, handwritten letters to my friends back in NJ.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earth-2 NoctourneM, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 31 guests