Advertisement

Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 754 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Keb wrote:She needs to stop. She gives the actual, respectful, intelligent, critical thinking women in the comics journalism/fandom sphere a bad image.

Agreed. I particularly don't like the fact that when somebody that represents the site comes along to say that as a whole, the site does not share Punchy's views on the matter, she continues to generalize and belittle Christian and those of us who choose to post here. It's clear that Bluestreak understands that Punchy is member of the staff at the Outhouse but she doesn't ever take the time to register the idea that one of the people who actually runs the site is taking the time to publicly say that The Outhouse does not share that member's opinions. It's really unfortunate when you step back and look at it. She is so focused on the target that she has in her line of sight, she isn't taking the time to consider the collateral damage that her attacks may have in the long run.

Furthermore, whether you agree with Punchy or not, I don't like the idea that people are trying to make an example out of him. If you don't agree with him, that's fine but why go out of your way to publicly crucify him simply for sharing his opinion on the matter? I like Punchy and while I might not always agree with him, I don't think he deserved the type of venomous backlash that he received for sharing an opinion. :smt102
Last edited by Grayson on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:02 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Noo!!! :lol:

We killed four bottles of champagne on mimosas before noon, I'm not responsible for my actions currently!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 148 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Punchy wrote:
Well, she was certainly better than their terrible depiction of Lana Lang.

You in a skirt would've been a better depiction of Lana Lang. Erica Durance couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.

Hab

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:24 pm

For what it's worth, I know the sort of venom that DCKWA has to deal with on a daily basis can be incredibly wearing on people and am not surprised that she chooses to engage those who she dislikes in the manner that she does. It was frustrating to have deal with her playing Herald-esque games in an attempt to win/deride instead of engage over what I perceived as a shitty shot at something I take a lot of pride of, but I know that she probably just figures that I'm looking for signs of weakness to use against her down the line. That's probably how the bulk of her interactions online go, so why should we be any different?

Also, it's Twitter. 140 characters can make anyone seem more terse than they probably are.

It's disappointing to see her hate us so vehemently because I think that the front page's stance towards gender issues in comics mirrors hers in many ways. We just choose mockery and derision to promote change as opposed to angry ranting and calling people shitlords.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 754 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:35 pm

BlueMole wrote:For what it's worth, I know the sort of venom that DCKWA has to deal with on a daily basis can be incredibly wearing on people and am not surprised that she chooses to engage those who she dislikes in the manner that she does. It was frustrating to have deal with her playing Herald-esque games in an attempt to win/deride instead of engage over what I perceived as a shitty shot at something I take a lot of pride of, but I know that she probably just figures that I'm looking for signs of weakness to use against her down the line. That's probably how the bulk of her interactions online go, so why should we be any different?

Also, it's Twitter. 140 characters can make anyone seem more terse than they probably are.

It's disappointing to see her hate us so vehemently because I think that the front page's stance towards gender issues in comics mirrors hers in many ways. We just choose mockery and derision to promote change as opposed to angry ranting and calling people shitlords.

Ah, well truth be told, I don't really know much about her or her website other than what I read about here on the forum and I don't give either much thought. I just didn't like the fact that she went after Punchy so viciously or wouldn't listen to you when you were only attempting to reason with her.
ImageImageImage

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 617 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Maybe the bulk of her interactions wouldn't go like that if she wasn't so nasty to people she disagrees with. Everything bad in the world isn't because sexism.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 140 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:02 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Maybe the bulk of her interactions wouldn't go like that if she wasn't so nasty to people she disagrees with. Everything bad in the world isn't because sexism.

Who are you kidding? You know the Outhouse is a sexist, misogynistic institution that must be destroyed :roll:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Grayson wrote:
Agreed. I particularly don't like the fact that when somebody that represents the site comes along to say that as a whole, the site does not share Punchy's views on the matter, she continues to generalize and belittle Christian and those of us who choose to post here. It's clear that Bluestreak understands that Punchy is member of the staff at the Outhouse but she doesn't ever take the time to register the idea that one of the people who actually runs the site is taking the time to publicly say that The Outhouse does not share that member's opinions. It's really unfortunate when you step back and look at it. She is so focused on the target that she has in her line of sight, she isn't taking the time to consider the collateral damage that her attacks may have in the long run.

Furthermore, whether you agree with Punchy or not, I don't like the idea that people are trying to make an example out of him. If you don't agree with him, that's fine but why go out of your way to publicly crucify him simply for sharing his opinion on the matter? I like Punchy and while I might not always agree with him, I don't think he deserved the type of venomous backlash that he received for sharing an opinion. :smt102

Most definitely. There's a certain type of person on the internet that I've encountered in this comics fandom/journalism sphere that really seem to take it too seriously. I understand you love your hobby/passion, but that doesn't mean other people can't have their own way of enjoying it. For me, I choose to post here and interact with people about comics. Bottom line is I like the stories, I like the elements that make the stories and I like the way the tales are crafted. It's not a gender issue for me.

The thing about Punchy is that he wasn't trying to make it a gender issue and he was sincere in pointing it out. He didn't deserve a fraction of the BS name-calling and labeling that he got. The problem is that these people who like to think of themselves as "progressive" and "open-minded" don't realize that being open to something is that you allow others to hold a difference of opinion. However, if it doesn't agree with yours, you don't immediately begin a campaign to belittle or denigrate the person. With all of the talk of cyber-bullying happening around the world, I would have expected people to be a lot better than that.

With DCWKA, her problem seems to be that our front page (and forum) is a boy's club and that we're all "No Girls Allowed". As the President of the OH, I can say that we're definitely not in any way some sort of elitist club and we're pretty welcoming to all who come here and want to act in a civilized and polite manner. Our front page pokes fun at all types aspects of the comic book world. It's not tasteless jokes about women, blacks and handicapped people. The thing is, people like DCWKA just decide that because apple is sour then all apples are sour. It really shows a lack of both comprehension, compassion and human decency.

Like I said earlier, she really needs a pet or something where she can focus her attention positively because she really just thinks very lowly of us when she has NO CLUE who we are or what we do.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:03 pm

The thing about Punchy is that he wasn't trying to make it a gender issue and he was sincere in pointing it out.

I'm not going to argue with the intent of the rest of your post, but on the first page of this thread Punchy says "I think this will be the last time I dip my toes into comics' gender issues.." meaning Punchy, for better or worse, knew going into it that the OP-ED was not entirely unrelated to gender issues.

He didn't imagine the response though! That being said, I don't think he's being threatened or bullied from anything I've seen, just getting lots of mean comments and insults.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Well duh.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I'm not going to argue with the intent of the rest of your post, but on the first page of this thread Punchy says "I think this will be the last time I dip my toes into comics' gender issues.." meaning Punchy, for better or worse, knew going into it that the OP-ED was not entirely unrelated to gender issues.

He didn't imagine the response though! That being said, I don't think he's being threatened or bullied from anything I've seen, just getting lots of mean comments and insults.

My larger point was that I'm tired of people putting gender arguments ahead of just enjoying their comics. The anniversary of Action Comics #1 should be a celebration of superheroes, not an opportunity to advance any smaller, petty agenda, whether that be female characters or creator rights.

I think identity politics has had a very adverse effect on comics fandom.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 577 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm not reading all this, but I get that Punchy said something, someone got an angry vagina complete with labia forming little shaking fists and seriously needs to learn what the cuntpunting hell an opinion is and live with it.

Yes, I like that phrase. Watched the video with General Zod, made my morning.

Peace.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Oh FFS.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:11 pm

boy howdy the shitlords are out in force today. Congratulations donglord. What’s it like being a pretentious assclown? I’ve never tried moving past basic asshole to jump in the elitist prick pool.

That's not being a bully?

Honestly what is wrong with you people, I’m guesing this the-green-owl07 girl is sockpuppet for niamsuggitt. LOL seriously she was annoyed you guys, annoyed. haha if you’re so fucking annoyed go do something about it and also get your facts straight before you open your yap.

A dude blogging to a girl who agreed with Punchy.

Hey Punch, did you hit that?

What really annoyed me is the way acertainshadesoflimelight just vilified him into some hugely sexist misogynist pig when he was essentially just (in his mind) commenting on people ignoring the big picture for the small. In my opinion, her assessment of Punchy and her labeling him as a "misogynist" just opened the bullying floodgates. It's like gossip at school. A girl sleeps with one guy, he tells his friend, his friends tell everyone else and all of a sudden that girl is a slut and they put it up all over the school and internet. That's in my opinion, bullying at its worst.

Maybe I'm just annoyed because I don't like to exclude people. Yes, girls with low self-esteem is a big problem but children, male or female, have self-esteem issues. Does it make me a sexist, misogynist pig if I want to help boys with low self-esteem over girls with low self-esteem.

Gender issues are a part of the problem but they aren't the whole issue. My problem with this type of behavior is that it's selective in weighing the issue. It breeds misinformation and the type of irrational behavior just really helps no one in the end. It's this selectivity that people like certainlimelights and DCWKA have where they blow up 3 without realizing that 1, 2, 4 and 5 are all part of the whole and make it an issue. And what's worse is that because of this attitude, it becomes cyclical and people just end up getting hurt. I see this behavior and I just get annoyed.

Sorry for ranting. This shit just bugs me so much.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Punchy wrote:
My larger point was that I'm tired of people putting gender arguments ahead of just enjoying their comics. The anniversary of Action Comics #1 should be a celebration of superheroes, not an opportunity to advance any smaller, petty agenda, whether that be female characters or creator rights.

I think identity politics has had a very adverse effect on comics fandom.

I know, but that's sort of what got you in trouble--deciding for other people what should be valued or celebrated, and demeaning or possibly mischaracterizing their reasons for doing otherwise. You love superheroes and can't see it any other way, in this case they love iconic female characters just as much even if they don't wear pajamas in the daytime. Different people identify with different things.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand