Advertisement

Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Superman is more important than Lois Lane

Postby habitual » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:49 am

Punchy wrote:
My larger point was that I'm tired of people putting gender arguments ahead of just enjoying their comics. The anniversary of Action Comics #1 should be a celebration of superheroes, not an opportunity to advance any smaller, petty agenda, whether that be female characters or creator rights.

I think identity politics has had a very adverse effect on comics fandom.

You should really just quit while your behind.

Hab

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 am

Hab's right about this one, Punch. Hats off to Jubilee for not taking any of this seriously and giving me a good laugh this morning!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:05 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Hab's right about this one, Punch. Hats off to Jubilee for not taking any of this seriously and giving me a good laugh this morning!

Oh, I'm not going to post anything like that anywhere other than here.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Way, way, WAY back in the day, I was checking out colleges with my mom and uncle. We were all going into one of the college buildings and as I was going in the door, I noticed two people just a little ways off that were ALSO heading into the building. They were too close to just let the door go because then it just shuts in their face and you feel like a douche so I held the door open for them. That was my logic. "Don't be a douche."

Now, the two people happened to be women and they did not appreciate a guy holding a door open for them. "WE CAN OPEN DOORS FOR OURSELVES!" was their response.

And you can't win against that because you're approaching the situation from completely different perspectives. It hasn't changed how I approach that situation. If you're heading in a door and someone is close enough where the door's gonna shut right before they reach it, you hold the door. That just courtesy, male or female.

And as for those two women, screw them. They were dicks. I'd still hold the door for them, though. Their dickery shouldn't alter my actions.

I walk through the door and hold it open behind me. I only stand aside and hold doors open for little old ladies. Usually they give me a nickel or even a dime if I smile real big.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 61 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Jubilee wrote:As someone who has met Punchy several times in real life I'd like to point some shit out.

First of all, Punchy is 100% sexist. I don't think he knows it, but some of the comments he come out with genuinely shocked me when I stayed at his house. While talking about his recent conquests he said something along the lines of(and this is a few years ago, so it won't be exactly right) "The bitches love it when you knock them about a bit during sex, really let's them know who is in control." You wouldn't expect it from someone who seemed so nice, but I think it's a deep rooted problem with him. The way he spoke about some of the female cosplayers was crazy.

Second of all, he may be way way WAY sexist, but he's a really nice person. On the way back from a night out once he stopped to buy a tramp (a female tramp no less) a Subway and gave her quite a considerable amount of money. He's always willing to lend a friend a hand and his room is really clean.

Finally, I don't think there is anything wrong with Punchy's sexism. He comes from a town in England where men are supposed to be rugged and masculine and I think at some way that is where he developed his sexist tendencies. He likes to pay for the dates, hold doors open for ladies and treats them exemplary. I honestly think that he see's women as these dainty innocent creatures that it's his duty to protect (and fuck).

You're saying Punchy is like this guy? :roll: Image

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

It's an interesting list they did, but IMO if they were doing "non-superpowered" women then they should have stuck with characters actually from superhero comics. Or done a straight list of female comics characters without regard to their status in superhero comics, in which case it opens the list up so much that there are many notable female characters in independent comics not on the list of 10.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Wow, on the twitters it's like there's a whole new language being crafted in opposition to Punchy. Now Bryan Q Miller has advised DCWKA to trademark the word "manguish". :lol:

Punchy' will go down in herstory as being worse than that cunt Thatcher!

Johnny Smith
cheese

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Wow, on the twitters it's like there's a whole new language being crafted in opposition to Punchy. Now Bryan Q Miller has advised DCWKA to trademark the word "manguish". :lol:

Punchy' will go down in herstory as being worse than that cunt Thatcher!

Somebody will spraypaint "Pwned by the DCWKA" on his tombstone some day. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:55 pm

One thing that's interesting is that there's no indication anywhere on my blog that I'm a man. No pictures of me, I don't refer to my gender and my first name is strange enough that it could be a girl's name.

But everyone assumes I am a man and that I'm swinging my big male privilege around.

Johnny Smith
cheese

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Punchy wrote:One thing that's interesting is that there's no indication anywhere on my blog that I'm a man. No pictures of me, I don't refer to my gender and my first name is strange enough that it could be a girl's name.

But everyone assumes I am a man and that I'm swinging my big male privilege around.

Dude, you're famous on the internet. Everybody knows you're a man. :-D

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Punchy wrote:One thing that's interesting is that there's no indication anywhere on my blog that I'm a man. No pictures of me, I don't refer to my gender and my first name is strange enough that it could be a girl's name.

You've listed your name as Niam Suggitt. I doubt that many would consider Niam a lady's name. :P

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:26 pm

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 120 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Wait a second does that mean Punchy is on par on the tumblr hate-o-meter with Avengers Arena?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand