Advertisement

Justice League

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Justice League

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 pm

ASBARTBW was a far, far better thing.

How could you be so right about it and so wrong about Justice League?

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 958 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:ASBARTBW was a far, far better thing.

How could you be so right about it and so wrong about Justice League?

I don't think it was as groundbreaking, but it was the spiritual successor. You have Jim Lee's art, still unchanged ten years after it was unchanged from the ten years prior in ASBARTBW. You have Johns writing the characters like 14 year olds whose parents left them home without a babysitter for the first time - yeah, it's not Miller's self-parody, but it's Johns' self-parody. You have a take on beloved characters that offends all the longtime fans, though this time it's because the takes are so simplistic and generic, as opposed to making Batman an NC-17 rated lunatic. It's the same idea, just different. And now it's gone. :(
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:53 pm

You know I don't begrudge people who like it, but as I am a fan of johns and how he worked in Dcs past in jsa and flash,it's hard to get I to a book which craps on decades of continuity. Plus cyborg?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:55 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I don't think it was as groundbreaking, but it was the spiritual successor. You have Jim Lee's art, still unchanged ten years after it was unchanged from the ten years prior in ASBARTBW. You have Johns writing the characters like 14 year olds whose parents left them home without a babysitter for the first time - yeah, it's not Miller's self-parody, but it's Johns' self-parody. You have a take on beloved characters that offends all the longtime fans, though this time it's because the takes are so simplistic and generic, as opposed to making Batman an NC-17 rated lunatic. It's the same idea, just different. And now it's gone. :(

It was so bland, though, because no one can 'fess up to the fact that Johns has never been a very good writer of anything but disposable crap. And I should know, I've disposed of a ton of his crappy books in $5 or $10 longboxes of overstock from dead comics shops.

Sinestro Corps Wars was not that good. It was passably entertaining toilet-time reading at best.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:40 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I don't know what Ezra is, but it must be a very low bar.

You diss Better than Ezra?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 521 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:32 pm

i hated the book until the Aquaman crossover... then the book actually started to fire on all cylinders. Its one of the few DC books i look forward to. JLofA (at least to me) was a much better launched/written book than JL was when it started

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't think it's a bad book, just very bland.

legoroni
Attorney at Law

Liked in: 1 post

Postby legoroni » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 pm

I found issue 19 to be pretty good. I don't usually pick this up, but it was an enjoyable issue, just not the best.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Sounds like a lot of you are like I used to be - more habit buying than anything? JLA with big guns is going to have a built in audience regardless. But some of you who are buying it are not exactly sounding wowed by it.
Oddly enough, Injustice (which has tons of pre-reboot nods) is a JLA story that actually interested me.
Maybe Johns peaked? Happens to a lot of writers.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 938 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:17 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:So i hadn't read this in a while, and just caught up last night. From Jim Lee to Tony Daniel, and then Daniel to Reis, I feel like the book has lost some of it's ASBARTBW appeal. At the same time, it's gotten less offensively bad. Unfortunately, not enough to actually become a good book. Now it's just mediocre. Disappointing. If you're gonna put out a bad Justice League book, you should at least have the courtesy to put out a REALLY BAD Justice League book so it's entertaining in that regard. What do the rest of you people who actually care about the DCU think? Has this gotten better for you with the Throne of Atlantis stuff?

Nope, it's gotten worse. It's almost like an attempt to be the Avengers but with the Justice League and Cyborg.

Angsty works with Marvel and The Avengers. It does not with DC and Justice League.

The book was bad from the very start. First they changed the line up to be politically correct. Then they dumped the origin for a flat Darkseid invades story. The content sense then has been the third and final strike.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Nope, it's gotten worse. It's almost like an attempt to be the Avengers but with the Justice League and Cyborg.

Angsty works with Marvel and The Avengers. It does not with DC and Justice League.

The book was bad from the very start. First they changed the line up to be politically correct. Then they dumped the origin for a flat Darkseid invades story. The content sense then has been the third and final strike.

Get out of my mind! Agree one hundred per cent.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 417 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 am

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand