Advertisement

MY TOP 5 SMALL BATCH COMICS OF 2012

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Finally got off my lazy ass and picked the ones that stood out for me. Just in time for C2E2!

Source: self

Gearing up to C2E2 this weekend, I went back through the random small batch comics I was given that I never wrote about.  Mostly, because I didn’t enjoy the majority of them.  I’m admittedly a comic noob, so I’m looking more for something memorable or funny.  Most of the comics I read where either boring, nothing special/original or were just downright awful.  One of the comics had at least 10 typos per page as well as a horrible plot.  I’m pretty sure it was written by a kid in middle school who threw it together for a class project and is the child of someone with way too much disposable income.  I’ve picked 5 of the best ones that I recommend you check out if you can get your hands on a copy.  Three of them are in compilations so you should get more bang for your buck if you decide to shell out some dough.  So, here they are in no particular order.

From Oh, Comics! Volume 1, No 20, Air.  Magic McGillicuddy:  Space Tech and Good Buddy, by d.skite
This short comic is set in space, with just one person, Magic McGillicuddy.  He is just recounting what’s currently happening to him while he tries to repair a satellite.  Sounds boring, right?  Well, it was entertaining enough but the part that really won me over is the ending.  On a related note, there’s a joke in there that I immediately put on Twitter after reading because I found it hilarious. 

From SPACE Anthology 2012.  Her Eyes, by John Michael Lennon & Thor Fjalarsson
I don’t want to spoil the story too much, but what you need to know is that there is an epic fight, and a few surprising plot twists.  I also found myself laughing at the end of it because the payoff at the end was so unexpected.  

From SPACE Anthology 2012.  Siegfried & Humie, by Matt & Jeanie Bryan
Space monsters and a puppy.  Yeah, definitely different and in a good way.  Overall, just a gosh darn cute comic.

Black Rose #01.  Between Worlds, by Christoper Arndt, Aaron Minier & Brandon Peat
Yes, I know it’s a fantasy/steampunk comic book, but it’s really neat.  It’s a classic story line.  The life of a soldier, his world and of course love.  The characters are interesting and the art is very detailed in setting up the world the characters live in.  I should probably hunt down the other issues soon, I’m curious to see what happens next.

Binary Gray #01 - 03 by Chris Charlton & Rowel Roque
Technically it’s three comics, but it’s my list so deal with it.  Long story short, there’s a guy who works in Tech who acquires a superpower.  The catch, is that there are already superheroes in his universe who have way cooler powers than he does.  The three issues span the time before he gets his superpower, how he acquires it and how he initially decides to use his powers.  Overall, it’s an interesting story and a different concept.

Written or Contributed by Sarah Sed

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: MY TOP 5 SMALL BATCH COMICS OF 2012

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 pm

A girl talking about indie comics? I think you got the wrong site.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand