Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:32 am

Keb wrote:Kordey was the fill in artist for the X-titles then. He's actually a decent artist when allowed to take his time. Considering all the fill in work he did for New and X-treme X-Men (plus other titles), I don't think its fair to complain about it. He was given a book with Claremont during the Reloaded event but then kicked off by Marvel and replaced without being told. I have a lot of respect for the guy for what he did at that time.

I've seen old stuff by Kordey that is really amazing. So obviously I was surprised to see the low quality of his New X-Men pages, but of course, if he was doing a lot of comics at the time and always against the clock, I can understand what happened.

Advertisement

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby misac » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Keb wrote:Two. He did the Scott/Emma issue and the Xorn in Mutant Town issue.

The Xorn one was the one I remembered.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 pm

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:Image

I love Chadwick.

Is anybody here picking up the Harlan Ellison & Paul Chadwick graphic novel?

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Fairest v.1: Wide Awake – Loved it! But sadly they break up the band by the end of the story. I really would have liked to see more of the Snow Queen, Ali Baba, Sleeping Beauty and the bottle imp. I love redemption stories and the Snow Queen is on the road to redemption of sorts but with a rogue by her side it’d be a really interesting take on it.

Hopefully they show up again in another arc. The second volume features Rapunzel so I’ll probably check it out, I like her.

There was a done it one featuring Beauty and the Beast with an dark twist to their story. Curious to see this play out.

Art was great! Phil Jimenez! Two things though, some of the women had a lot of eye shadow (I think, the stuff on the eyelid up to the eyebrow). :P Nothing wrong or anything it just seems weird seeing so many people wearing it. :P

Number two, there was a part that was pretty bad. Snow Queen totally looks like a dude. And she has crazy eyes like the White Queen posted yesterday.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

:smt119

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Finally read the first volume of Hawkeye...you guys really dig this?

I hate Fraction's writing, you can tell how hip and clever he thinks he is when you are reading it.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:25 pm

LobsterJ wrote:Finally read the first volume of Hawkeye...you guys really dig this?

I hate Fraction's writing, you can tell how hip and clever he thinks he is when you are reading it.

:lol:

Do you like anything new? :P

That’s something I can set aside and enjoy the book. :) One thing I didn’t like was how Clint had all that money after being an Avenger for the longest time. I remembered he was a crook so I let it go, I’d like to see it acknowledged.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Postby LobsterJ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm

misac wrote:
:lol:

Do you like anything new? :P

That’s something I can set aside and enjoy the book. :) One thing I didn’t like was how Clint had all that money after being an Avenger for the longest time. I remembered he was a crook so I let it go, I’d like to see it acknowledged.

I do! I like Fatale, Saga, Prophet, all the Vertigo ongoings pretty much, Walking Dead...I am only a traditionalist when it comes to my Marvel superheroes.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Morning Glories vol. 4: Truants by Nick Spencer, Joe Eisma & Rodin Esquejo

Fucking fuck can't we get a straightforward fucking answer already? For another six issues Spencer drags us around on this leash with letting us stop to sniff the roses. He continues to build upon the dueling faction of Abraham vs. Daramount and doesn't really offer up any closure in this volume. What pisses me off is that it all just builds up to a whole lot of nothing. We're just given more characters to sort through with the Truants and Spencer spends an awfully unnecessary time providing back story for characters who are going to be killed again and again. He seems to want to flesh out characters' true intentions but we don't see them again. His strong suit appears to be telling single stories that contribute to theoverarching theme, but it lends greatly to the fact that he can't completely control parallel narratives as he keeps jumping back and forth between the past and present. In many ways, he takes the LOST/100 Bullets approach in this volume and beats it to bloody hell. Its very uuninviting, but he's apparently writing a story that's meant to be read as a whole, not installments. As usual, the artistic energy of Eisma makes the ever-prolonged mystery bearable but it can only last so long. I will say that I love the coloring in this comic. It really makes the art feel incredibly vibrant. The little flowers between chapters are cool too. Its little things in this series that make the dragging plot a lot easier to digest.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm

misac wrote:Fairest v.1: Wide Awake – Loved it! But sadly they break up the band by the end of the story. I really would have liked to see more of the Snow Queen, Ali Baba, Sleeping Beauty and the bottle imp. I love redemption stories and the Snow Queen is on the road to redemption of sorts but with a rogue by her side it’d be a really interesting take on it.

Hopefully they show up again in another arc. The second volume features Rapunzel so I’ll probably check it out, I like her.

There was a done it one featuring Beauty and the Beast with an dark twist to their story. Curious to see this play out.

Art was great! Phil Jimenez! Two things though, some of the women had a lot of eye shadow (I think, the stuff on the eyelid up to the eyebrow). :P Nothing wrong or anything it just seems weird seeing so many people wearing it. :P

Number two, there was a part that was pretty bad. Snow Queen totally looks like a dude. And she has crazy eyes like the White Queen posted yesterday.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

:smt119

Phil Jimenez art is always great. I only read the first 3 issues but he had some truly amazing pages there.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 843 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Finished reading the New X-Men Omnibus. I've got to hand it to Morrison, he held the series together extremely well through issue #150. I will say that Planet X was a little rocky but all in all there were some great moments. Unfortunately, the series really fell apart during the "Here Comes Tomorrow" arc. Even with the series ending so poorly, Grant Morrison's New X-Men is a great read and while I would have wished that the art had remained more consistent throughout the entire run, this series is a must have for any X-Men fan.

Well, with New X-Men out of the way, the natural progression obviously has to be Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men Omnibus. I'm only 2 issues in so far, so I won't bother writing much about it yet but I am excited to get through this amazing series one more time.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:26 pm

I loved Here Comes Tomorrow. It wrapped up the series nicely. It could have been longer though. It felt choppy.

I'm on the last volume of Sandman

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 843 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Keb wrote:I loved Here Comes Tomorrow. It wrapped up the series nicely. It could have been longer though. It felt choppy.

Really? I guess I was fatigued with reading through the entire run as quickly as I did but I just didn't really get in to "Hear Comes Tomorrow" this time around. I remember liking it more the first time I read the series but it just seemed to fall apart this time around for me. I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with me subconsciously remembering all of the horrible retcons that have come since this series ended. :smt102
ImageImageImage

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Other shit I've read this week

American Vampire 5 - Snyder is so good. Can't wait for this to come back.
Batman vol 2. - Snyder is so good. Can't wait for vol. 3
Unwritten vol 7 - Still good, but not as good as Lucifer.
OMAC by Kirby HC - One of my favorite Kirby creations, excellent stuff.
Batman and Robin vol 1 by Tomasi - no interest in this really but the library had it. Decent, though.
Wonder Woman vol 2 - Azzarello definitely belongs in the "Brian Wood" category, ie I've read tons of issues they have written but don't really like their work.
Fantastic Four visionaries John Byrne 4 - 8. Read the first Byrne omni, didn't want to wait to finish his run. Good stuff, if a bit dated. And long-winded.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Grayson wrote:
Really? I guess I was fatigued with reading through the entire run as quickly as I did but I just didn't really get in to "Hear Comes Tomorrow" this time around. I remember liking it more the first time I read the series but it just seemed to fall apart this time around for me. I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with me subconsciously remembering all of the horrible retcons that have come since this series ended. :smt102

Yeah part of the reason why I don't like to read X-Men comics is because of all the retcons they've done for most if not all of what Morrison tried to do with the franchise.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand