Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers #7 (Progressive Hipster Propaganda Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Uncanny Avengers #7 (Progressive Hipster Propaganda Spoilers

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am

Wow! That really escalated quickly! I was expecting the threat of the Apocalypse Twins to kind of remain in the background for a little while before exploding, but nope, they’re fully grown in this issue and are wreaking glorious destruction. They kill a Celestial for fuck’s sake! That is hardcore. I think this issue may be the best work of Daniel Acuna’s career so far, he is just perfect for drawing Celestials and other cosmic stuff, the bit space set-pieces here were truly awesome.

But Acuna also equips himself well with the smaller, character stuff, as the Uncanny Avengers deal with the fall-out of Rogue killing Grim Reaper. I think it’s very interesting that Remender is really exploring the PR side of being a superhero team. In this issue the more immediate threat to the team isn’t Apocalypse or the Red Skull, it’s the media! It’s a different take, but it really works for this team. I especially liked the scene where Wasp uses her fashion-design background to show how she can make Mutants cool, make them hipster fashion items. This is building on the kind of stuff Grant Morrison did in New X-Men, and I find it fascinating.

Also interesting is the fact that Wasp flirts with Havok, that would be a strange relationship for sure. I also really dug the stuff with Wonder Man and Scarlet Witch, Remender is dealing with stuff that was brought up way back in the Busiek/Perez days and then dropped, and the inner fanboy in me is delighted to see it being used. I should also give props to the brilliantly old-school and bombastic narration Remender is using in this book, it may not be for everyone, but it really adds to the scope of the title. I’m all for letting artists tell the story themselves, but sometimes you need some Kirby-esque over the top narration.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Uncanny Avengers #7 (Progressive Hipster Propaganda Spoi

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 am

The Celestial stuff was awesome! I enjoyed the art on this story a lot as well.

Part of me wishes Rogue wasn't there. She just feels off. I've never liked her but she's absolutely bratty and it annoys me. I almost want Remender to use someone else. Too bad the pickings are slim in the X-women pool.

I too loved the narration. Its something about silver age comics that I miss in today's comics.

Um when did Rogue and Magneto hook up in 616?

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 am

I really wanted to like this book, but it is just not happening.

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:11 am

Keb wrote:The Celestial stuff was awesome! I enjoyed the art on this story a lot as well.

Part of me wishes Rogue wasn't there. She just feels off. I've never liked her but she's absolutely bratty and it annoys me. I almost want Remender to use someone else. Too bad the pickings are slim in the X-women pool.

I too loved the narration. Its something about silver age comics that I miss in today's comics.

Um when did Rogue and Magneto hook up in 616?

Their romance started in the Claremont/Lee issues of Uncanny X-Men (somewhere around 270 or so). The romance started because they were both alone and de-powered, fighting to protect each other from dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in the Savage Land. Magneto ditched Rogue after he got his powers back shortly before the Claremont/Lee X-Men #1.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:22 am

They also had a brief romance up to AvX.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 am

the characterization is just killing this book for me, as it feels like Remender's just forcing conflict where he really shouldn't have to. Jan's a vapid skank slutting it up to Havok, Rogue's a petulant child, Wanda's a petty shrew, Wonder Man's a pacifist pussy...even Havok who I thought Remender got pretty well the first few issues feels off here. the story's finally grabbing me, and the action is great, but I don't recognize these characters.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

HNutz
P&#1062;&#1048;K&#1063; &#1042;&#1071;&#1025;&#106

Liked in: 361 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 am

Johnny Smith wrote:
Their romance started in the Claremont/Lee issues of Uncanny X-Men (somewhere around 270 or so). The romance started because they were both alone and de-powered, fighting to protect each other from dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in the Savage Land. Magneto ditched Rogue after he got his powers back shortly before the Claremont/Lee X-Men #1.

For some reason, I feel like Lobdell wrote a Rogue/Magneto pairing, too. Or was it Rogue/Joseph?

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm

chap22 wrote:the characterization is just killing this book for me, as it feels like Remender's just forcing conflict where he really shouldn't have to. Jan's a vapid skank slutting it up to Havok, Rogue's a petulant child, Wanda's a petty shrew, Wonder Man's a pacifist pussy...even Havok who I thought Remender got pretty well the first few issues feels off here. the story's finally grabbing me, and the action is great, but I don't recognize these characters.

Agreed. Remender also just wont let go of the stupid Apocalypse story. Its what killed his X-Force run for me.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm

avengingtitan wrote:Agreed. Remender also just wont let go of the stupid Apocalypse story. Its what killed his X-Force run for me.

His entire run on X-Force was about Apocalypse, there was barely an issue that wasn't about him in some way. It didn't kill his run, it was his run, it's what made it great.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Punchy wrote:
His entire run on X-Force was about Apocalypse, there was barely an issue that wasn't about him in some way. It didn't kill his run, it was his run, it's what made it great.

Not for me. It went too long. There were a ton of bad guys he could have set his teams against and he keeps coming back to Apocalypse. I'm just tired of it and his bad characterization of half of this team is enough for me to consider dropping it. I love Remender's creator owned stuff but his Marvel work is just not that great.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm

chap22 wrote:the characterization is just killing this book for me, as it feels like Remender's just forcing conflict where he really shouldn't have to. Jan's a vapid skank slutting it up to Havok, Rogue's a petulant child, Wanda's a petty shrew, Wonder Man's a pacifist pussy...even Havok who I thought Remender got pretty well the first few issues feels off here. the story's finally grabbing me, and the action is great, but I don't recognize these characters.

They kind of need that. Otherwise they'd just be vacuous and boring and this would be another Avengers team beating up kids and blowing stuff up. While I find the characters a little extreme, I like that he's got every mutant on Scarlet Witch's case and her on the extreme defensive.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Keb wrote:They kind of need that. Otherwise they'd just be vacuous and boring and this would be another Avengers team beating up kids and blowing stuff up. While I find the characters a little extreme, I like that he's got every mutant on Scarlet Witch's case and her on the extreme defensive.

And they should be but it should be done with a little subtlety .

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 324 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:02 pm

HNutz wrote:
For some reason, I feel like Lobdell wrote a Rogue/Magneto pairing, too. Or was it Rogue/Joseph?

it was Rogue and Joseph (but he and pretty much everyone at the time thought he was Magneto. It was right around the time of Onslaught)

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:08 pm

HNutz wrote:

It was Rogue/Joseph. They had a brief courtship until he apparently died in battle with the actual Magneto during the Magneto War.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 324 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
It was Rogue/Joseph. They had a brief courtship until he apparently died in battle with the actual Magneto during the Magneto War.

i don't remember it being that long.. i thought they broke up after they came back from Space, and had the "Trial of Gambit" in the Savage Land...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand