Advertisement

Young Avengers #4 (Also fond of purple Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Young Avengers #4 (Also fond of purple Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am

I just can’t shake the feeling that Young Avengers is trying way too hard to be cool. I enjoy it, but at times I cringe at Gillen’s attempts to directly court the teenage, Tumblr audience. I think Gillen is a fantastic writer, but I think he’s writing this book too much for people other than himself.

That said, there was one truly fantastic scene in this issue, the one where Loki raises the possibility that Billy used his powers to make Hulkling fall in love with him. This is a brilliant idea, even if it is just Loki fucking with people. I have said many many times that I find the characters of Hulkling and Wiccan to be exceedingly dull, but this gives them much more depth. It was boring for them to be perfect elf-twinks in total love with each other and designed only for fan-fic, here there is conflict and a lot of sinister undertones. I can’t wait to see how it all shakes out, if what Loki says is true, then woah, Wiccan is now actually interesting.

This issue also contains some of the best artwork of Jamie McKelvie’s career, seriously, the layouts in this book are insane. That two-page diagram-esque fight scene was brilliant and innovative, I’ve never seen anything like it in a superhero comic. I may find this title annoying at times, but fuck me, McKelvie is awesome.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand