Advertisement

Uncanny X-Men #5 (It's not me Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 56 posts
Title: Shitlord

Uncanny X-Men #5 (It's not me Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:51 am

I was initially sceptical when I saw that Frazer Irving would be drawing an arc of Uncanny. I love Irving’s art, but I doubted whether it would be a good fit for such mainstream characters. Luckily, Bendis seems to have realised this and has given Irving a story to draw that takes place in his kind of milieu, Limbo. I was very impressed by the art in this issue, it really worked.

The main focus here is of course, Magik, a character I don’t really know that much about. I guess I missed the story where she came back from the dead, but ever since then, she’s been kind of hard to like, and almost a villain really. In this issue Bendis goes some way towards making her sympathetic again, whilst at the same time reminding us of just how dangerous she is. Magik is not just a mutant, she’s also heavily involved in, well, magic, and it makes her a unique, powerful character. The scenes where she flips and takes out Dormammu were fantastic, and the way Irving’s art depicted the hellfire was something else.

As we’ve come to expect from Bendis’ X-Men titles, he makes room in amongst the crazy, big stuff that’s going on for some humorous and telling character moments like the Stepford Cuckoos reacting badly to flirting or Tempus getting a crush on Cyclops. I also liked OG Angel’s tentative conversation with Magneto, where he’s surprised by how less crazy Mags is these days. Both of Bendis’ X-books continue to be just brilliant, I can’t separate them, can anyone else? Which is better, All-New or Uncanny?

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Uncanny X-Men #5 (It's not me Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 am

Punchy wrote:I was initially sceptical when I saw that Frazer Irving would be drawing an arc of Uncanny. I love Irving’s art, but I doubted whether it would be a good fit for such mainstream characters. Luckily, Bendis seems to have realised this and has given Irving a story to draw that takes place in his kind of milieu, Limbo.

:? Don't you think it's far more likely that Bendis, like most writers, had this issue plotted well before he knew what artist would be on the book? If anything, that's more likely a case of editor Axel Alonso making a good call and Frazer Irving being a great artist.

Of course, the way Bendis writes these days, it's actually more likely he scrawls something one of his kids suggested on a Wendy's napkin the night before the artist needs the "script". So point taken.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 56 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
:? Don't you think it's far more likely that Bendis, like most writers, had this issue plotted well before he knew what artist would be on the book? If anything, that's more likely a case of editor Axel Alonso making a good call and Frazer Irving being a great artist.

Of course, the way Bendis writes these days, it's actually more likely he scrawls something one of his kids suggested on a Wendy's napkin the night before the artist needs the "script". So point taken.

Bendis' writing is the best it's been for years at the moment, his X-Men is great.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Punchy wrote:
Bendis' writing is the best it's been for years at the moment, his X-Men is great.

No coincidence he keeps adopting more kids then, is it? I heard he calls them his "bullpen". That's almost as bad as or maybe even worse than Stan Lee was back in the day, and I believe he is widely known as the worst man in comics, ever. :dry:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 847 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I loved the look on Emma's fact the instant that Tempus revealed that she has a crush on Cyclops. Dammit Bendis, I know that you like to put the toys back in the box the way you found them...or at least relatively close but put Scott and Emma back together now! :smt013

Anyways, this was a decent enough issue but it was easily the weakest issue since the title was relaunched.
ImageImageImage

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
No coincidence he keeps adopting more kids then, is it? I heard he calls them his "bullpen". That's almost as bad as or maybe even worse than Stan Lee was back in the day, and I believe he is widely known as the worst man in comics, ever. :dry:

This is the first I am hearing of this.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:09 pm

draco x wrote:
draco x wrote:

draco x wrote:

Well, two of those are a lie! :x

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Well, two of those are a lie! :x

Must have done a double post without knowing. My bad.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand