Advertisement

help me Outhouse Legal, your my only hope

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

prozacman
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 11 posts
Title: Sir PopsPills Alot
Formerly: Darth Prozac

help me Outhouse Legal, your my only hope

Postby prozacman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:43 am

Is my lawyer right or trying to pull a fast one on me to get me to settle my case?
I was in a bad car crash 3 years ago that left me with a degenerative condition in my T-5 vertabra, buldging disks in my lower back, and leg injuries. My legs were fixed but my back problems didn't respond to any treatment other than narcotic medication that I am still on. I have over 80k in medical bills that have been covered by Medicaid. Though there is a provision in the contract with Medicaid that basically says I have to pay them back for any treatment that was the fault of some one else if I get a settlement or I win a lawsuit.

Here is the sticky part. Not a single doctor I've seen and/or been treated by has or will go on record saying my back injury was caused by the accedent. My lawyer says that this is the reason he wants me to settle the case for less than the cost of my total medical expenses, but also claims I'm don't have to pay back Medicaid for treatment that was for my back. He explained that just like me going after the person that hit me, since no doctor will say my back pain is are due to the accident the state won't charge me for the medical bills for my back. I'm only responsible for repaying the treatments for my legs since ER doctors put in writing on medical forms that they were hurt in the crash.

Is my lawyer right or is he just telling me this so he can make a quick percentage from getting me to settle? Will the state of MA come after me for my back treatments or is my lawyer right?

Advertisement

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Re: help me Outhouse Legal, your my only hope

Postby Psivage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Not sure if it is different state by state and I'm not even a lawyer, but I think you would have to pay back medicaid.

I rarely play the lottery but when I do my parents tell me if I win I have to give them the ticket so Medicaid doesn't come after my winning.

both made by Cat-Scratch

prozacman
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 11 posts
Title: Sir PopsPills Alot
Formerly: Darth Prozac

Postby prozacman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 pm

You don't have to give then the ticket, but you do have to notify them of any changes in income you have.

Edit: I read that wrong. I thought them referred to Medicade, not your parents.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm

First of all, I have no idea about the medicaid stuff. I am Canadian. We apparently have "free" healthcare.

I will ask this: Where did you find this lawyer? Is he someone you were referred to from a friend or family member or is he just a Junior Partner from a firm that you called because you saw something on the TV?

If you really feel that he doesn't have your best interests in mind, then you can and should call him out on that stuff. My mom does financial consulting for lawyers and while they like to act like they're intellectual geniuses, there are actually a lot of genuine lawyers who do want what's best for their client. They're usually open to discussion if you feel they aren't doing what's best for you.

Another thing you could do, and this will cost you a bit of money, is get a second opinion from another lawyer.

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 pm

I know a person who saw 100 doctors just to find one that would diagnose her condition according to her liking.

take w/ a grain of salt.

you may need to keep plugging away from different angles.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum