Advertisement

Is It Any Good? (OFFICIAL mega THREAD)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 277 posts

Re: Is It Any Good? (OFFICIAL mega THREAD)

Postby GHERU » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Skullkickers?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Grayson wrote:John Layman's Chew.

Dope as fuck. One of my favourite comics. Keeps you on your toes.

I'm kind of shocked you're not already reading it.

Got my boy to read it last year. Got him to pick up vol. 1 of Saga today. He's on the hunt for Manhattan Projects and Morning Glories now too.

GHERU wrote:Skullkickers?

Covalesky likes it and has been putting reviews up on his Reading Graphic Novels blog.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: alexeiluthor

Postby TheSecondLex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 pm

The Great Darkness Saga?

(my LCS has got an old version on the self, untouched for months, and I stare at it every time I'm in there and think 'oh I hear it's good but I've just finished Kirby's original New Gods and I fear what Levitz has done to my beloved Darkseid; also my scant knowledge of the Legion comes from that STAS episode 'New Kids in Town')
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 993 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Keb wrote:Dope as fuck. One of my favourite comics. Keeps you on your toes.

I'm kind of shocked you're not already reading it.

Got my boy to read it last year. Got him to pick up vol. 1 of Saga today. He's on the hunt for Manhattan Projects and Morning Glories now too.

In my defense, I have been reading a lot of stuff lately, usually because of your suggestions. After I read Mind MGMT, I will probably see if I can find the first Omnivore Edition.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Grayson wrote:
In my defense, I have been reading a lot of stuff lately, usually because of your suggestions. After I read Mind MGMT, I will probably see if I can find the first Omnivore Edition.

:oops: It's not my fault!

The first trade is really cheap. Like $10 or something. The omnivore editions are nice but I like the paperbacks.

Let me know how Mind MGMT is. I saw the hardcover at the store but I hate hardcovers so I passed.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 993 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Keb wrote: :oops: It's not my fault!

The first trade is really cheap. Like $10 or something. The omnivore editions are nice but I like the paperbacks.

Let me know how Mind MGMT is. I saw the hardcover at the store but I hate hardcovers so I passed.

I actually prefer hardcovers to paperbacks unless they are just ridiculously over sized. I seem to recall seeing the Omnivore Editions before and they don't seem that bad. If I remember correctly they are about the same size as the Invincible Ultimate Collections or the Walking Dead Hardcovers, which aren't that bad.

The Mind MGMT hardcover was only $19.99 and if the rest of the book is as good as the first issue was, then it will definitely be worth the price, even if you don't like hardcovers. I should have a review for the graphic novel thread in the next couple of days, hopefully tomorrow.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Word

I don't like moving hardcovers. They are bulky to pack.

hey people, how is G.I.Joe: Real American Hero? The new one.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Also: BKV's Runaways?
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:Also: BKV's Runaways?

I really enjoy it. It's fun teen comics, but if you're an adult you can still read and enjoy it a lot. Nothing too complex but a really fun series.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:The Great Darkness Saga?

(my LCS has got an old version on the self, untouched for months, and I stare at it every time I'm in there and think 'oh I hear it's good but I've just finished Kirby's original New Gods and I fear what Levitz has done to my beloved Darkseid; also my scant knowledge of the Legion comes from that STAS episode 'New Kids in Town')

Meh. Couple of cool bits, but overrated as fuck. But then, I'm an avowed Legion-hater.

If you really want to try a Legion story, I recommend the original Legion Lost mini. That shit is excellent.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Keb wrote:I really enjoy it. It's fun teen comics, but if you're an adult you can still read and enjoy it a lot. Nothing too complex but a really fun series.

I picked up the Victor Mancha oneshot today for Age of Ultron and got into it lol. Between that and seeing your post at like 2this afternoon, I caved. Promptly went home and ordered the oversized HCs. Thanks, Keb!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:31 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:

I picked up the Victor Mancha oneshot today for Age of Ultron and got into it lol. Between that and seeing your post at like 2this afternoon, I caved. Promptly went home and ordered the oversized HCs. Thanks, Keb!

NP. I hope you like them. Just to give you fair warning, Victor doesn't appear until the 2nd volume, I think it's hc 2. Still the first 18 issues are fun.

I didn't realize they reissued the entire series in standard sized books either. I have the digests.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:25 am

Okay so my store has these iron man books cheap. $8-15 or so each. Opinions?

Dragon Seed Saga
War Machine
The Many Armors of Iron Man
Armor Wars Prologue

Also they have:
Invincible Iron Man vol. 1 (Fraction & Larocca) (deluxe hc)

The fraction hc is a steal at $20 if they still have them

I'm going back for that x-statix omnibus tomorrow.

John Byrnes fantastic four. How is that?

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 848 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:53 am

You are really asking about John Byrne's Fantastic Four? I thought it was commonly known as one of the best Fantastic Four runs? Hell, one of the best comic book runs. I was looking to get the omnibus for cheap a few weeks ago, and had no luck finding it. :-(

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 119 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:16 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:You are really asking about John Byrne's Fantastic Four? I thought it was commonly known as one of the best Fantastic Four runs? Hell, one of the best comic book runs. I was looking to get the omnibus for cheap a few weeks ago, and had no luck finding it. :-(

I scored one on eBay for $35 shipped.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand