Advertisement

Is This Appropriate?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Is This Appropriate?

Postby achilles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Seems to me there might be a bit of official bullying, not to mention extremely poor judgement at work here in this anti-bullying workshop.

A recent anti-bullying presentation at a middle school in New York that focused on homosexuality and gender identity has angered parents after their daughters have come home to tell them they were forced to ask another girl for a kiss.

At least the boys were taught how to identify if a girl is a slut... :wink:

Seriously, are there no sane adults there?
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 269 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: Is This Appropriate?

Postby Rockman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:57 pm

I was reading about that the other day. Pretty crazy.

But I couldn't find a lot of information on the internet to corroborate what I had read aside from the one initial claim repeated at a bunch of right leaning sites. So who knows the validity of the claim?

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Yeah, I don't know. Something sounds fishy here.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:02 pm

RED HOOK — Some parents are questioning the appropriateness of an anti-bullying presentation on sexual orientations and gender identities given recently to eighth-graders.

Among their complaints: Bard College students weren’t a suitable choice to speak at Linden Avenue Middle School, and parents should have been notified in advance of Thursday’s health class lesson, according to Journal interviews and dozens of social media posts.

Paul Finch, superintendent of the Red Hook Central School District, told the Journal that the workshop focused on improving culture, relationships, communication and self-perceptions. These are issues schools are obligated to address under New York’s Dignity for All Students Act, he noted. Future workshops of a similar nature “may require more notification to parents,” he said.

Mandy Coon, a mother of an eighth-grade student, said she thought the district was infringing on her role as the parent.

“The whole thing just baffles me,” she said. “If they are required to have this course, why are they bringing in other unlicensed, untrained professionals — college kids — to teach this?”

Bard College spokesman Mark Primoff said the students were volunteers who were invited by the middle school to give a workshop on communication.

Effective in July, the Dignity for All Students Act represents the state’s effort to create a safe and supportive environment, free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment and bullying.

Finch said that Linden Avenue Principal Katie Zahedi and guidance counselors worked with a group of Bard students to develop the workshop, including role-playing on how to say no to unwanted social pressures.

In addition to learning vocabulary such as “pansexual” and “genderqueer,” the girls were told to request a kiss from a female peer, Coon said. Her 14-year-old daughter told her it was awkward and uncomfortable, she said.

On a Facebook forum for parents, Zahedi said the exercise was “not to pretend to be gay” but to practice saying “no” to unwarranted advances.

“In planning the discussion, we made it clear that absolutely no discussion of any sexual acts is appropriate to middle school, and they used the examples of a kiss,” she wrote. “It was a separate activity for boys and girls and ultimately about respect and safety.”

A public meeting was held Tuesday night at the school to address parents’ concerns.

Found here: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps ... ck_check=1

Sounds like "forced" isn't the right word to use describing the situation.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:07 pm

To answer your question, no I don't see anything inappropriate about it given the context. Since the idea was to illuminate ways to say "No" to unwanted advances from homosexuals without being assholes about it, I don't see the fuss. To put it another perspective: if they asked one student to say "You stink." to another student in a roleplaying scenario to teach students how best to respond to bullying, no one would care. Pretty much the same situation here. And I'm 100% willing to bet that any student who didn't want to participate in the scenario didn't have to and were allowed to watch others who did.

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby pastajoe » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Is that something that happens now, gay girls bully straight girls into giving them kisses?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Do people have to be trained professionals to speak about social issues in schools in the US?

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:16 pm

pastajoe wrote:Is that something that happens now, gay girls bully straight girls into giving them kisses?

I think it's more to teach appropriate responses to unwanted advances. So instead of guys saying things like "WTF YOU FAGGOT#@$@#$" when a gay male makes a pass at them, they'll respond instead with "Oh, I'm straight and not interested."

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Postby pastajoe » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:43 pm

How about don't make passes at people until you get to know them a bit. That's always seemed to work in the past.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Well it's not 1950 and sometimes two complete strangers first meet by flirting with one another at social events.

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Postby pastajoe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:38 am

syxxpakk wrote:Well it's not 1950 and sometimes two complete strangers first meet by flirting with one another at social events.

Flirting is different than trying to kiss a stranger.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 547 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:39 am

pastajoe wrote:Is that something that happens now, gay girls bully straight girls into giving them kisses?

But really, is there anything wrong with that?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:59 am

There should be a workshop to teach drunk straight girls to stop trying to slur-bully gay guys into kissing them. :P
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:22 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
But really, is there anything wrong with that?

Not according to Cinemax.

Hab

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:39 pm

pastajoe wrote:
Flirting is different than trying to kiss a stranger.

This is a legit question and not meant to be rude: how old are you?

It seems to me you might not have a working understanding of what actually happens at parties, clubs, bars, etc these days.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum