Advertisement

C2E2: Superman And Batman 101

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 206 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Moderated by John Cunningham. Panelists: Jimmy Palmiotti, Bob Harras, Chris Burnham, James Tynion IV, John Layman, and Kenneth Rocafort.

Source: C2E2 DC Panel

This panel is targeted toward new readers, so Cunningham mentioned that when Dark Knight Rises came out, they put out posters at retailers showing "essential Batman" stories. A similar campaign is happening for Man of Steel, with essential Superman backlist titles coming (with special deals for retailers).

Panelists replied with what essential reading is for them:
Jimmy Palmiotti - "Batman Year One is the book that I've bought over and over. When people don't really know about comics, I hand that to them and say, 'Read this and it will tell you why he's so cool.' For Superman, I’d say Birthright by Mark Waid. It's just amazing. These are two comics I can give out”
Bob Harras - "The book that comes to mind first to me for Superman is a book that put back the magic of superheroes, the magic of comics, and that's All-Star Superman. This is what a great Superman comic is. It's Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely and it's perfect. And I really liked Batman: Earth One with Geoff Johns, it really tells you everything you need to know about Batman. It's a very enjoyable read and anyone can pick it up and know what and who Batman is."
Chris Burnham - “Grant Morrison’s Batman ‘Black Glove’ and Superman: Birthright.
John Layman -  Superman For All Seasons is a beautiful book. Gotham Central for my Bat-book. I give that to my smarter friends--which I don't have a lot of!"

The panel then discussed newer books, praising Superman Unchained.

Batman #21 starts ‘Zero Year', telling Batman's origin in the New 52. Harras adds, "It's telling the beginnings of Batman in a different and very unexpected way. What I can't emphasize enough is what Greg and Scott have been doing on Batman, the amazing teamwork. We'll change a couple things about Batman but remain true to the character and show some challenges as he became Batman."

Cunningham speaks about Talon: “Bane came into Talon, and Tynion is excited to get to the heart of Bane, and bring him back to his roots.". He adds “The story will go back to the island he was born and raised on, and building up a new cast of characters around him to lead to big things to come. Pulling the rug out from under our readers with a big twist in Talon #6, it seemed like we were building in one direction and now we're veering in a dramatic fashion. There's really fun big stuff coming up in the book."

Harras talked about Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship saying "I think it's one of the more interesting things we've had happen in the New 52. I think it's intriguing for a lot of readers that he didn't go right to Lois Lane. While Superman and Wonder Woman have found each other, Superman, especially as Clark, still has unresolved feelings for Lois. So will there be a triangle, will there be pursuit, will they just remain friends? There's a lot of intrigue. I'm interested to see how these guys fight in their personal life."

Speaking about the Cyborg Superman, Harras said  "I think the design is awesome, and he'll be turning up soon.” He declined to answer questions about how the character might tie into New 52 continuity of Superman and Hal Jordan.

Tynion discusses taking over Red Hood And The Outlaws: “I wanted to get to the heart of our three main characters, Starfire, Red Hood, and Arsenal. I threw a big wrench in their group dynamic in #19, and it will make them reevaluate who they are, what they have to do to saty together as a team, and if they should. In the annual next month, we'll see the first appearance of Cheshire, and the first real interaction between Green Arrow and Roy Harper that we've seen so far.”
They'll also deal with why Talia had a special interest in Jason Todd.

Batman & Catwoman #22, the title of the book for a month (Batman & Robin is retitled each month with a different co-star), as Batman deals with each stage of grief. Because Damian is dead, what happens with a book called Batman & Robin is fascinating and they have big plans.

Batwing #19 was a changing of the guard," said Palmiotti. "The original Batwing, David, decided it was time for him to not be Batwing anymore. We made Lucius Fox’s son Luke, the new Batwing. Batman Beyond was an obvious influence on the redesign. A lot of things will be happening, including Bruce not telling Lucius that he's bringing on Luke. Luke will be like a young Bruce Wayne in a superhero suit - so he's a young, handsome, rich guy who keeps that attitude when he's in the suit. Look for a new cast of characters and for this book to tie in much more closely with the other Bat books."

Detective Comics introduces The Wrath, who's getting the New 52 treatment. He's a more obscure villain, and he's the anti-Batman. He's a rich playboy with a lot of money, gadgets, and cars, and guns. And he hates cops. It's the battle of the rich boys.

Azrael’s return is permanent, and he’ll be part of the Bat-universe.

More details on Joker’s origin is coming up. See 'Year Zero'.

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 165 posts

Re: C2E2: Superman And Batman 101

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm

None of that sounds even the least bit interesting.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand