Advertisement

Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklists You

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Re: Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklist

Postby doombug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 am

Black_Orchid wrote:You guys pissed off Thomas Jane? Ah man.

I'm confused, does this mean that reporters for the Outhouse say they are representing the website before asking questions? Or is it necessary to get one on one questions and answers from creators? Like a press pass sort of thing.

Ooo, a new question for Frank, are the big publishers that insecure.

Basically as soon as they find out where your content is run, specifically in both mine and zechs case. We were both shut down because of the connection to the outhouse.

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 383 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:28 am

Black_Orchid wrote:You guys pissed off Thomas Jane? Ah man.

I'm confused, does this mean that reporters for the Outhouse say they are representing the website before asking questions? Or is it necessary to get one on one questions and answers from creators? Like a press pass sort of thing.

Ooo, a new question for Frank, are the big publishers that insecure.

i know when i covered Baltimore Comic Con a couple of years ago for the site, they had the site name on the con badge/pass.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 am

xaraan wrote:As someone who used to work in a corporate environment, I have so say: Whichever exec made this decision should be canned. We don't lose anything really by this blacklist. ... And really, what this tells everyone is that any site that you see DC working with, you know those sites aren't giving you honest commentary and reviews.

It really is a baffling move. If somebody proposed this solution to a problem in a marketing/PR class they would have failed. The only way they could have screwed up worse is if they made a press release about it themselves. Congratulations, DC, just when I didn't think your executive decisions couldn't make any less sense ... :smt011

Peter Fabricius
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 140 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklists You

Postby Peter Fabricius » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 am

You're going to also want to boycott Time Warner. They own DC.

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 758 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 am

DC was just doing the site a favor by blacklisting us. Surely they have generated more hits this way than by allowing a few interviews. Thanks DC.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 am

The OH didn't do anything wrong. DC should take its head of of its ass.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: RE: Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Black

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:23 am

FBtron wrote:You're going to also want to boycott Time Warner. They own DC.

Obv. ;)

OM Frack Tuu
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 140 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklists You

Postby OM Frack Tuu » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 am

...From my post over at Bleeding Cool :http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/69577-dc-new52-welcome-nightmare-nurse.html#post558863...The Outhousers made a major mistake with this piece d'defiance, and it's the same one Rich, Johah, Matty, Mikey and every other journoblogger has made every time some marketing wank at DC and/or Marvel has pulled this sort of shit: they did not name the dipshit who told them they were specifically blacklisted. In my own journalist past, I've seen this attempt being pulled before, and once had it pulled on me over a restaurant review when some bozo whose overpriced trendy greasy spoon vowed to have the local "Restaurant Association" ban me and my paper from eating in their establishments again until I issued a retraction. Not only was he not a member of the Texas Restaurant Association, the follow-up article printed the next day where I quoted the blacklist threat, cited how blacklisting was a big no-no in the US thanks to Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy and HUAC, I got an official quote from the head of the TRA that this sort of blacklisting is prohibited in their bylaws, and that any member calling for such action was subject to expulsion. He then added his own comment about how this guy's establishment existed more for the "snob factor" and while he wouldn't comment on the food quality, he did recommend that readers go find copies of the previous day's paper to read "a rather accurate review of the 'cuisine' being served". That sort of "here's the damn monkey, we're waving it back in your face!" response was standard Deadly Texan policy, and it wound up being the career death blow for a lot of idiots and marketing schmucks.

Here's the deal: when dealing with negative commentary with the use of blacklisting, marketing goons act like any refusal or act of defiance to this act of censorship will result in further penalties against you. Nothing could be farther from the truth! It's a scare tactic that the least of which they hope will result in your not naming them in your articles about the blacklisting in hopes of finding some middle ground with them defining the middle. Do *not* let them get away with it. Cite the identity of the moron who just blacklisted you. Odds are a lot higher than you expect that this dipshit either acted without approval of his immediate supervisor, or they both acted without the knowledge of any number of higher-ups on the corporate ladder. Furthermore, by showing that you will *not* be shoved around by some backstabbing gladhanding spin quack, you'll show to your readers that it's *you* who has the integrity and professionalism by defending your rights under the First Amendment, and that the subjects of your articles - or those who supposedly "represent" their interests - are the ones being total censorship freaks....So again, cite the name of this asswipe, kids. There was a witness who got the same blacklist notice, so the marketing nazi can't deny his actions and claim you're making it all up. The more you embarrass him by exposing his actions, the more likely he'll get fired and in order to calm the customers down they'll start throwing -you- a few 'exclusives' as an act of appeasement. Bank on it.

:OM:

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 115 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:39 am

goddamn, i wish i went to this with Zechs....I have a feeling it would have gone down a bit differently. I saw Zechs just moments after this happened, and he can attest to my anger at the situation.

That said, this being my first major con, i really appreciated Marvel's lighthearted and approachable sensibility. At any given panel, they felt personable, reasonable, and humorous; talking to the fans like old friends, whereas the DC panels felt like they were holding guns to the backs of the creators, forcing them to repeat canned statements. I believe i mentioned it to Zechs, but i certainly felt a coldness from DC editorial in general to the fan community at large.
Last edited by dairydead on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 am

I applaud this move by DC. Fuck the outhouse.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:52 am

dairydead wrote:goddamn, i wish i went to this with Zechs....I have a feeling it would have gone down a bit differently. I saw Zechs just moments after this happened, and he can attest to my anger at the situation.

That said, this being my first major con, i really appreciated Marvel's lighthearted and approachable sensibility. At any given panel, they felt personable, reasonable, and humorous; talking to the fans like old friends, whereas the DC panels felt like they were holding guns to the backs of the creators, forcing them to repeat canned statements. I believe i mentioned it to Zechs, but i certainly felt a coldness from DC editorial in general to the fan community at large.

The fact that they were basically handling things with meetings in places and not a show floor presence is insane in the first place.

And yeah when Zechs was telling me what happened I realized just how easy I got off via email versus what happened with him.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:00 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:As Blue intimated, we may still have access to Vertigo creators. DC's publicity was looped in on my interview with Sean Murphy. I guess since he does creator-owned work at Vertigo, they really couldn't decline on his behalf (I'm speculating on that being the case).

Interesting. So it's like basically we can talk to creators about anything but DC projects?

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 115 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:02 am

At the end of the day, what made me mad is that they really took this opportunity to embarrass Zechs and put him in a place where he felt completely uncomfortable. Its dirty as hell, and pretty despicable. It makes me think of a hypothetical where a kid would go over to a friend's house and the kid would get a spanking from, or a lecture from another parent. Its completely inappropriate to put a child in that situation, as its inappropriate to put Zechs in a situation where he would have to answer to the actions of this site as a whole. Zechs approached this situation as a fan looking to talk to some of his favorite writers, but got insulted and humiliated instead. The worst thing about this is that we aren't talking about sarcastic Jude or Ru here, this is Zechs who is as harmless and well-meaning as journalists can get.

All of this comes across as DC seeing an easy target (knowing Zechs wasn't about to fight them about this) and taking advantage of it. Again, I'm just glad I wasn't there at the moment, or else we might be talking about something else.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Evan Meadow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:04 am

OM's no doubt right and whoever told this to Zechs should be outed.

And next time, send Herald to do the reporting.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 am

dairydead wrote:At the end of the day, what made me mad is that they really took this opportunity to embarrass Zechs and put him in a place where he felt completely uncomfortable. Its dirty as hell, and pretty despicable. It makes me think of a hypothetical where a kid would go over to a friend's house and the kid would get a spanking from, or a lecture from another parent. Its completely inappropriate to put a child in that situation, as its inappropriate to put Zechs in a situation where he would have to answer to the actions of this site as a whole. Zechs approached this situation as a fan looking to talk to some of his favorite writers, but got insulted and humiliated instead. The worst thing about this is that we aren't talking about sarcastic Jude or Ru here, this is Zechs who is as harmless and well-meaning as journalists can get.

All of this comes across as DC seeing an easy target (knowing Zechs wasn't about to fight them about this) and taking advantage of it. Again, I'm just glad I wasn't there at the moment, or else we might be talking about something else.

I agree. A far as reporting and writing, Zechs is pretty fair and non-judgmental.

If he's upset about it, he should write a letter to the convention organizers about it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand