Advertisement

Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklists You

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 721 posts

Re: Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklist

Postby HNutz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:00 am

Lord Simian wrote:
When he put out that short film last year, SOMEONE posted it on the front page, excitedly and happily mentioning that THAT'S how the Punisher should be. Which got US an email titled "Hey, asshole!" From Jane himself, asking why we would spoil the films ending.

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-asylum/thomas-jane-punishes-the-outhouse-via-email-t85165.html?hilit=asshole%20thomas%20jane

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 377 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 am

Punchy wrote:I think this story really shows the poor state of comics journalism, that if you want to get anywhere, you have to toady up to companies and sell out.

This is how I feel about things as well.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 am

It pains me to see my former favourite publisher screwing up so bad in the comics and the board room

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 485 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 am

You guys better be careful, all the mean things said about once upon a time here may lead to a Marvel blacklist too!

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 526 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 am

Bleedingcool picked up the story..

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am

It's official: DC doesn't get the joke. :lol:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 377 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am

That was nice of Ricch.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:28 am

Also those wondering, Rich does give names.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 am

e_galston wrote:Bleedingcool picked up the story..

Rich is bucking to get blacklisted!

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 am

If you're sick of DC's conduct under the current regime, the solution is simple: stop buying DC comics. Dan Didio, Bob Harras and their cronies are NEVER going to change. Read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story or any interview with a creator who worked for Marvel in the 90s. You'll see that DC is currently run the same way Marvel was back then. That should tell you right there that Harras learned nothing from his tenure at Marvel. Why would he learn anything now? The only way DC will change is if we force a change in who is running it. The only way to do that is by voting with our wallets. If you want to support certain creators, there are better ways to do it. Buy their creator owned work. Support their kickstarter projects. Buy personal commissions. All of that will support those creators a lot more than whatever pittance of royalties they get from DC. And if your favorite creators don't do that kind of stuff, write to them. Tell them why you're not buying their work for hire stuff anymore. Encourage them to branch out and do creator owned work. Then put your money where your mouth is and support other creator owned books. The better books like Saga, Walking Dead and Fatale do, the more people will be encouraged to take the plunge.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:41 am

Stalzer2002 wrote:If you're sick of DC's conduct under the current regime, the solution is simple: stop buying DC comics. Dan Didio, Bob Harras and their cronies are NEVER going to change. Read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story or any interview with a creator who worked for Marvel in the 90s. You'll see that DC is currently run the same way Marvel was back then. That should tell you right there that Harras learned nothing from his tenure at Marvel. Why would he learn anything now? The only way DC will change is if we force a change in who is running it. The only way to do that is by voting with our wallets. If you want to support certain creators, there are better ways to do it. Buy their creator owned work. Support their kickstarter projects. Buy personal commissions. All of that will support those creators a lot more than whatever pittance of royalties they get from DC. And if your favorite creators don't do that kind of stuff, write to them. Tell them why you're not buying their work for hire stuff anymore. Encourage them to branch out and do creator owned work. Then put your money where your mouth is and support other creator owned books. The better books like Saga, Walking Dead and Fatale do, the more people will be encouraged to take the plunge.

Awesome post

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 248 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 am

dairydead wrote:goddamn, i wish i went to this with Zechs....I have a feeling it would have gone down a bit differently. I saw Zechs just moments after this happened, and he can attest to my anger at the situation.

That said, this being my first major con, i really appreciated Marvel's lighthearted and approachable sensibility. At any given panel, they felt personable, reasonable, and humorous; talking to the fans like old friends, whereas the DC panels felt like they were holding guns to the backs of the creators, forcing them to repeat canned statements. I believe i mentioned it to Zechs, but i certainly felt a coldness from DC editorial in general to the fan community at large.

No doubt there. I just wanted to end things civil. All I wanted this past weekend was two interviews and an answer to Young Justice/Green Lantern: The Animated Series. Two positive interviews. Interviews where I'd not ask them anything about the bad. I mean honestly, you have Pete Tomasi going out with pretty much a whimper after the HUGE GLC run he's had next to Geoff Johns and talk a little bit of the silent issue. Kyle Higgins is getting no pub save one bit from IGN on Batman Beyond.

The only positive was that they would look into my Young Justice/GL question. Still I feel like being in detention at school. I know that wasn't the intended point they were making, but that's what it felt like. Me being punished for speaking my mind (even if they said not me, I doubt it) and others at this site.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 am

Jubilee wrote:I applaud this move by DC. Fuck the outhouse.

He makes a good point.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:46 am

e_galston wrote:Bleedingcool picked up the story..

So did The Beat. This reminds me a bit about a post I read about the sorry state of video games journalism on the web somewhere. Was it Kieron Gillen?

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 am

Zero wrote:
So did The Beat. This reminds me a bit about a post I read about the sorry state of video games journalism on the web somewhere. Was it Kieron Gillen?

Link?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand