Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39675
Likes: 130 posts
Liked in: 206 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 am

Invincible Iron Man vol. 1 by Matt Fraction & Salvador Larroca

Is this an omnibus? I'm guessing it is. With 19 issues collected, it's pretty hefty. I did read the Five Nightmares hardcover a few years ago but never read anything beyond it. Wasn't impressed by it too much. Even this time around I want really too impressed with that story. It kind of dragged on a bit and at times it needed something to happen. I did like the idea of Ezekiel Stane as a next gen Iron Man type thingy. The first six issues of the Dark Reign (related) Most Wanted story really ramped up. I like that this collection made me really appreciate Maria Hill a lot more. Normally I find her annoying. All it took was Tony Stark banging her to make her a better character. Want too happy with how she turned out after her run in with the Controller. The second part of the Most Wanted story started to drag but it had a cool ending. The cool Norman Osborn beating up dummy Tony was good. Also the fight with Namor was really good even though short. I laughed at Donald Blake making an appearance. The one thing I really liked was how Larroca stayed consistent throughout the series. I'm not a huge fan but I like him well enough. The coloring in the first story arc made the art very static but once they changed colorists, the art was more vibrant and was a lot better. Felt like the pencils loosened up a bit. Solid read.

Advertisement

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18162
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 93 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:51 am

covalesky wrote:
Not even insecure pre-teen Claremont Kitty?


She was adorable back then. But she was more appealing as an adult character.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8019
Likes: 349 posts
Liked in: 625 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Image


Chew Omnivore Edition Vol. 3 - Wow...that was completely unexpected. :shock:

From sports writers obsessed with writing about the sex lives of former athletes to psychedelic chogs, the third volume of John Layman and Rob Guillory's Chew is filled with all the zany, off the wall action that we have come to expect from the world of Tony Chu. This volume relies more on Tony's supporting cast of characters than Tony himself. Ordinarily, shifting the focus of a book off of the main character onto their supporting cast is a prospect that I don't look forward too. Layman doesn't skip a beat in this instance however. In Tony's absence we get to find out a little bit more about his twin sister Toni, his best friend and partner John Colby, Olive, Cesar, and the always delightful POYO! The ending is so unexpected that I don't really want to say anything else that may potentially ruin it for somebody who hasn't had a chance to read this series yet.

Just do yourself a favor and read Chew!
ImageImageImage

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 34509
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 54 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby misac » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 pm

LobsterJ wrote:Other shit I've read this week

American Vampire 5 - Snyder is so good. Can't wait for this to come back.
Batman vol 2. - Snyder is so good. Can't wait for vol. 3
Unwritten vol 7 - Still good, but not as good as Lucifer.
OMAC by Kirby HC - One of my favorite Kirby creations, excellent stuff.
Batman and Robin vol 1 by Tomasi - no interest in this really but the library had it. Decent, though.
Wonder Woman vol 2 - Azzarello definitely belongs in the "Brian Wood" category, ie I've read tons of issues they have written but don't really like their work.
Fantastic Four visionaries John Byrne 4 - 8. Read the first Byrne omni, didn't want to wait to finish his run. Good stuff, if a bit dated. And long-winded.


I got the Fourth World hardcovers and then I saw they put them out as softcovers so I decided to wait for these Kirby collections to be rereleased.
Image

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 34509
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 54 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby misac » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Keb wrote:Essentially what Morrison set out to do was to turn mutant from being a term in the MU to being a culture. What marvel did after he left was just absolutely shit all over this idea. First they dropped this idea in favor of the x-men being superheroes again, then depowered them all to isolate a few and make them unique again. If you read the Morrison manifesto, you'll see that this is the idea he wanted to create for the x-men. It worked too! The X-line had cool shit like x-statix and mystique and all that but after reloaded they kind of let those non-superhero titles die while they forced Claremont's garbage down our throats. Morrison's ideas were great but I think it ran contrary to what Marvel wanted to do when they put Bendis on Avengers and made that their top franchise.


I’m glad they undid some of the mutant stuff. It was cool but it was too much like the Inhumans with all the monster mutants. And that kind of took away from what I liked about the X-Men. They were supposed to be the next step in human evolution, mostly normal looking people with powers not alien looking motherfuckers. :smt102
Image

covalesky
User avatar
Expert Post Whore
 
Posts: 5290
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby covalesky » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Image

Halfway in this continues to be a great book. I expected that the story had been a direct follow up to Hume's arc, but it took a different route.

I'm enjoying it very much.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8019
Likes: 349 posts
Liked in: 625 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 pm

covalesky wrote:Image

Halfway in this continues to be a great book. I expected that the story had been a direct follow up to Hume's arc, but it took a different route.

I'm enjoying it very much.


LOVE The Sixth Gun! Glad you like it!
ImageImageImage

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 34509
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 54 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby misac » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Keb wrote:I never liked Kitty Pryde until Whedon wrote her.

Supervillain Team-Up: M.O.D.O.K.'s 11 - entertaining enough for $7. I liked the end the most. Though that Van Lente used a good mix of comedy and action in the series and the characters were good if nothing more than simple. I did not like Rocket Racer's stammer. I don't remember him having one. Easy fun light read.



Really liked that mini. It’s really too bad Van Lente isn't writing at Marvel anymore. Or Paul Tobin. :-(
Image

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 34509
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 54 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby misac » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Keb wrote:Invincible Iron Man vol. 1 by Matt Fraction & Salvador Larroca

Is this an omnibus? I'm guessing it is. With 19 issues collected, it's pretty hefty. I did read the Five Nightmares hardcover a few years ago but never read anything beyond it. Wasn't impressed by it too much. Even this time around I want really too impressed with that story. It kind of dragged on a bit and at times it needed something to happen. I did like the idea of Ezekiel Stane as a next gen Iron Man type thingy. The first six issues of the Dark Reign (related) Most Wanted story really ramped up. I like that this collection made me really appreciate Maria Hill a lot more. Normally I find her annoying. All it took was Tony Stark banging her to make her a better character. Want too happy with how she turned out after her run in with the Controller. The second part of the Most Wanted story started to drag but it had a cool ending. The cool Norman Osborn beating up dummy Tony was good. Also the fight with Namor was really good even though short. I laughed at Donald Blake making an appearance. The one thing I really liked was how Larroca stayed consistent throughout the series. I'm not a huge fan but I like him well enough. The coloring in the first story arc made the art very static but once they changed colorists, the art was more vibrant and was a lot better. Felt like the pencils loosened up a bit. Solid read.


It’s not an omnibus, it’s more like the older hardcovers. This is one of the first Iron Man comics I got.

I started liking Maria Hill with this too. She was just one note up until then
Image

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39675
Likes: 130 posts
Liked in: 206 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 pm

misac wrote:
I got the Fourth World hardcovers and then I saw they put them out as softcovers so I decided to wait for these Kirby collections to be rereleased.

Yeah I bought the paperbacks. I really like them.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39675
Likes: 130 posts
Liked in: 206 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm

misac wrote:
It’s not an omnibus, it’s more like the older hardcovers. This is one of the first Iron Man comics I got.

I started liking Maria Hill with this too. She was just one note up until then

Yeah this was my first Iron Man comics too. Really good stuff.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8019
Likes: 349 posts
Liked in: 625 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm

I am running out of space in my bookcase... :|
ImageImageImage

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39675
Likes: 130 posts
Liked in: 206 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Grayson wrote:I am running out of space in my bookcase... :|

Me too :(

I've actually filled the shelves in my room with GNs and records. I'm slowly filling up the book shelf I have in my brother's basement.

And I just spent $125 on classic Marvel GNs today... :oops:

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8019
Likes: 349 posts
Liked in: 625 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Keb wrote:Me too :(

I've actually filled the shelves in my room with GNs and records. I'm slowly filling up the book shelf I have in my brother's basement.

And I just spent $125 on classic Marvel GNs today... :oops:


I feel bad because I am taking over our entire bookshelf but my girlfriend has books and things she likes to display at well. We're probably going to move into a larger place (*crossing my fingers for a house*) by the end of the summer, so I guess I will just have to start a stack until I can buy a new bookshelf.

Edit: Which GN's did you get?!
ImageImageImage

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39675
Likes: 130 posts
Liked in: 206 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 pm

I got the second Invincible Iron Man HC, Captain America Scourge of the Underworld, Iron Man Demon in a Bottle, Iron Man Armor Wars, X-Men Fall of the Mutants vol 1.

Yeah having shelves is so key. I have to now sort through my stuff because of the upcoming cross-country move this summer. I have to basically ask my brother for more space in his basement to store my stuff (he actually likes having my shelves in his basement) and then figure out what I want to take. I could never imagine having to share my shelves (yes shelves) with anyone.

Having house space is the best :)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN NewsBlogs and 116 guests

Advertisement
cron