Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Keb wrote:I got the second Invincible Iron Man HC, Captain America Scourge of the Underworld, Iron Man Demon in a Bottle, Iron Man Armor Wars, X-Men Fall of the Mutants vol 1.

Yeah having shelves is so key. I have to now sort through my stuff because of the upcoming cross-country move this summer. I have to basically ask my brother for more space in his basement to store my stuff (he actually likes having my shelves in his basement) and then figure out what I want to take. I could never imagine having to share my shelves (yes shelves) with anyone.

Having house space is the best :)

Cross-Country move?! :shock:

I just moved across the state last summer and I hated it. Ugh, I hope it's worth it!
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 377 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Grayson wrote:
Cross-Country move?! :shock:

I just moved across the state last summer and I hated it. Ugh, I hope it's worth it!

Yeah. I'm going back to school in Canadian Texas.

I hope it's worth it too.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah. I'm going back to school in Canadian Texas.

I hope it's worth it too.

Canadian Texas? Is it any better than actual Texas?
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Grayson wrote:
Canadian Texas? Is it any better than actual Texas?

No, it's constantly cold. :(

What's wrong with Texas? I enjoyed my time in Austin.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Keb wrote:No, it's constantly cold. :(

What's wrong with Texas? I enjoyed my time in Austin.

See, I love cold weather. I can always put on more clothes but there is a point in time where taking clothes off becomes socially unacceptable. Also, I like parts of Texas...just not all of Texas.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 pm

I've only ever been to Austin. I also prefer hot weather. I guess the tropics is just in my blood.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Keb wrote:I've only ever been to Austin. I also prefer hot weather. I guess the tropics is just in my blood.

We try to go down to the Dallas/Fort Worth area once a year to visit family. Aside from that a majority of my experience with the state is just driving through it or listening to people from Texas talk about how "great" Texas is supposed to be.
ImageImageImage

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 pm

The great re-read has started!

And it begins here:

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:26 am

Oh, I finally finished Sandman last weekend.

Here's my thoughts:

Love the start of the series. The first four trades are without a doubt the best stories in the series (with a few exceptions). There problem after Season of Mists is that the series then got, in my opinion, too high on itself and after A Game of You it started to lose the horror edge that kept the series so it started to feel different. By the time it reached Brief Lives, it was apparent that it was now a literary work and not just a comic book. The World's End story arc was really the low point for me even though it had some great stories (Hob's Leviathan). The lowest point for me this time around was reading The Kindly Ones. Normally I've always enjoyed that story a bunch but this time around the decompression really got on my nerves. The Wake kind of made up for it by being really pretty but by then I was more than happy to be finished the series.

If I had to divide it up, I'd say 1-3, 5-7 and 8-10 with 4 standing on its own as the turning point for the series. The one thing I love about the Season of Mists story is that it embodies everything the series was about. Its why I see it as theturning point. Once Gaiman hit that stride, he pretty much just started to put controls in place to end the series. The climax in Brief Lives was without a doubt one of the more introspective parts of the book for me, and by climax I mean the conversation Dream has with Destruction. Kind of saw it as a talk between me and my own older brother in some ways.

The characters in this series are always what makes it great. Hob Gadling is still my favorite. I didn't realize that the Peggy he talked about in the Kindly Ones is Jim from World's End. Or maybe I did but I forgot. Matthew is my other favorite. I really like that Gaiman redeemed him from Swamp Thing. Speaking of that, early in the series there were times I felt Gaiman was trying to build on the Swamp Thing stuff especially in the Doll's House story but overall I felt like he kind of went to it a little too much and if you didn't know the reference it was something you'd gloss over. Having the intended knowledge made it so much more enjoyable but not having it just made it seem like any other detail. What did bit for me was the Bogeyman reference but I was glad he let it end there at that.

The Ramadan story remains the standout artistically and there aren't many that stack up to it. The art throughout the series is great and each artist's style really does set the tone for each story. There's only one artist I didn't care for at all and that was Jon Watkiss, but even his work on the series isn't too bad. Jill Thompson was great on Brief Lives as was Shawn McManus on A Game of You and without those two artists those stories might have stunk. I paid significant attention to the inking in the first four books because the coloring is kinda off in my editions (should maybe get the recolored printings soon). Loved the way Kelley Jones and Malcolm Jones III worked together.

Glad I reread it. It probably falls out of my top 3 now but it still remains in the top 10.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 159 posts

Postby misac » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Grayson wrote:I am running out of space in my bookcase... :|

I need proper shelves. My dresser is covered with comics, half of it is hardcovers and the other half is boxed comics. :)

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:11 pm

Keb wrote:I got the second Invincible Iron Man HC, Captain America Scourge of the Underworld, Iron Man Demon in a Bottle, Iron Man Armor Wars, X-Men Fall of the Mutants vol 1.

Yeah having shelves is so key. I have to now sort through my stuff because of the upcoming cross-country move this summer. I have to basically ask my brother for more space in his basement to store my stuff (he actually likes having my shelves in his basement) and then figure out what I want to take. I could never imagine having to share my shelves (yes shelves) with anyone.

Having house space is the best :)

I have most of those too! I think Fall of the Mutants 2 has come out.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Yeah a couple weeks ago. I saw it at the store so I'm gonna try and cop it tomorrow. If not, I'll order it online. The only problem is that online stores always get stuff 2-3 weeks later than comic shops.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 pm

The Massive v.1: Black Pacific – Really liked this. Post apocalyptic story about activist group The Ninth Wave. I don’t know exactly what they’re protecting exactly or more specifically if it matters anymore, but the whole book is them just resupplying their ship.

The story of the apocalypse was really cool. A year with natural disaster after natural disaster. Cities are flooded, seas are poisoned, and just terrible stuff. It felt very believable with humanity still surviving.

I liked the main characters, Mag the most and I’m curious about Mary’s mysterious history. I’m actually more interested in her background and what’s going on in the US than the main story of what happen to the Massive.

Art was really good, first part reminded me of Jamie McKelvie.

The next trade doesn’t come out until December. :-(

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah a couple weeks ago. I saw it at the store so I'm gonna try and cop it tomorrow. If not, I'll order it online. The only problem is that online stores always get stuff 2-3 weeks later than comic shops.

I really wanted to read some old X-Men a while back and couldn’t decide between Fall of the Mutants and Inferno. So I read some floppies instead. :lol:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm

misac wrote:

I really wanted to read some old X-Men a while back and couldn’t decide between Fall of the Mutants and Inferno. So I read some floppies instead. :lol:

I got the Mutant Massacre tpb a while back have since wanted to read as many x-overs as possible. I'm glad they're releasing them in tpb format.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand