Advertisement

DC52 Question - What Did They Get Right?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 50 posts

Re: DC52 Question - What Did They Get Right?

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Wonder Woman has been awesome. My one issue is I wish they kept the pants Jim Lee orignally designed.

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 397 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Hmmm...

They managed to spell the characters' names right! That's an accomplishment! :D

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:10 pm

holtom2000 wrote:
The retrograde of booster gold is another

Sheriff Booster Gold is an awesome idea :P

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 298 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 pm

The Shade.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1089 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:25 pm

GOSD wrote:Other than WW (which they could have left alone really...), nothing.

Wally is still not the Flash, Tim isn't Robin, Jason is now accepted back into the ranks even though he has murdered tons of people, Supes costume is dumb, Hal is still Hal, Vibe is part of a JL team again, The Atom is a girl, etc...

Maybe Shazam?

All in all, DC is a mess.

I'd say the Gary Frank redesign is a good thing, but that's about it with the misnamed Captain Marvel, for myself that is.

So you don't see any potential in the Girl Atom? I kind of like that it appears (I'm a bit behind on the story with her) she stole Palmer's tech.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 229 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:29 pm

The one thing they did right: create a jumping on point for new readers. The question one has to ask in regards to this, or the Nu52 as a whole, is "Was it worth it?" Could a jumping on point have been created without tossing everything? Could Aquaman have become the wonderful character he is now without a reboot? Could the Joker have become a complete waste of space without the reboot? Even the few moments and pleasures I've enjoyed could have been done without sacrificing everything they threw away.

They created a jumping on point for new readers at the cost of old readers. It wasn't worth it, it wasn't necessary.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:30 pm

MrBlack wrote:I haven't read much of the new stuff DC has been putting out, not due to any criticism of their new direction, but because I mostly dropped out of comics well before the new direction. As a bit of an outside observer, however, I can toss out a couple of things that I've liked from the handful of New 52 comics I've read.

-Streamlining history. This was something that was a major complaint about the new direction of DC, but it has made the comics much more new reader friendly. There's just a lot less to know about if you want to dive in, with a couple of exceptions, and it allows for upending the expectations of longtime fans. Speaking of which...
-The Superman/Wonder Woman relationship. Sorry guys, but I like this. It presents some interesting story opportunities whether they stay together or break up.
-Superman and Wonder Woman's costumes. The Super-suit has grown on me, and it makes sense in-universe. I also like the new color scheme on Wonder Woman's costume. Not so fond of the others...
-Earth-2. I miss the original JSA, but Robinson's new version is intriguing.
-Scott Snyder on Batman. Not actually a consequence of the New 52, but he's done some great work.

Yes, I think the streamlined history is a good idea, but to a limit. Compressing to just major character points works as well as keeping top notch stories, but otherwise they seem to have tossed out some of the baby with the bathwater. I think that the over all continuity of the characters can be broken down with the first of seven years covering the 30s, 40s and 50s, with then having one year cover each decade... with the odd tweaking.

I liked the Supes/WW back in the 80s and in Kingdom Come, but wonder if DC will really progress with it at all. If they don't then this is a fail to me.

Earth-2... yes intriguing in some ways but I otherwise hate it. The Flash's new origin is a little interesting.

I've not read any of the Bat-Titles yet. :oops:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Punchy wrote:Grant Morrison on Action Comics
Scott Snyder on Batman
Allowing Grant Morrison to continue Batman Incorporated in pretty much the same way.
Azzarello and Chiang on Wonder Woman
Johns' Aquaman and Green Lantern
The Animal Man/Swamp Thing axis
The Shazam! back-ups

Yes
Haven't read it. Yet.
Yes.. I guess.
Seems so.
Yes and Yes.
:smt102
Artwork yes, concept no, story no.

Still good to see this.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:33 pm

chap22 wrote:no. no no no no no no no NO.

what they got right, IMO:
  • amazingly, giving a Flash book to Manapul...as a writer/co-writer. no, it's not Wally, but it IS a good Flash book
  • pretty much everything in the WW book. but nothing involving her outside of her own book.
  • DEMON KNIGHTS. for the love of holy fuck, I love this book.
  • pretty much the rest of the "Dark" line. I loved Snyder's Swamp Thing and the first 18 issues of Animal man (but dropped both after Rotworld ended), JL Dark has gotten better and better, I Vampire was a TERRIFIC book, even Resurrection Man started off pretty good before floundering -- DC did a good job putting talented creators on the characters in the darker corner of their universe and telling good stories with them...something they should be more concerned with doing across the board
  • making Aquaman important -- although I think Johns has oversold it a bit, and i'm no longer reading the book at the moment, it's good to see that character not treated as a punchline anymore
  • Batman & Robin -- man, this book has been great

:-D

I love that you replied, but also, you've given more reason to check out some other stuff there.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:35 pm

nietoperz wrote:Very little, unfortunately:

Wonder Woman is the best she has been since George Perez's post-COIE relaunch.
Snyder's Batman.
Snyder's Swamp Thing
I, Vampire.
Earth 2, so far.

....and that really is it. The reboot itself failed creatively because they took it as an excuse to reinvent characters that did not need reinventing, decided not to listen to the fans under any circumstances and also because it appears to be happening in a panic and without any kind of roadmap or strong guiding hand.

Hmm, Snyder seems to be the real deal at DC. Something to note and check out.

Good summery there. I concur with it. Mind you... looking at OMAC and now this new Atom... even The Ray... I wonder.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 pm

nietoperz wrote:Johns and Frank's Shazam is an absolute shit sandwich.

:smt005 That sounds like me when it started.

I love the Frank artwork though. Also, I think Johns does have a grip on Billy's character. But..

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Still playing catch up, but thanks to all for the replies. I wanted some food for thought on DC and it's various titles. :-D

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:41 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I've really liked Aquaman and Earth 2.

Other than that...I've tried a lot of the books that I had a modicum of interest in; I think I've said before that I did enjoy the Simon Baz issues of Green Lantern once I stopped being horrified at how stupid his origin was.

But for me...see, I don't think you can truly answer this question without looking at what has been lost.

There isn't a single thing in the revamp that was worth the loss of Wally West, the Infinity, Inc. generation of heroes, Black Lightning's children as heroes in their own right. The loss of the New Teen Titans era, which also featured the Titans/Deathstroke rivalry which lasted for years and was actually a theme that could've been mined further by talented creators, was also lost.

So. I don't mean to take anything away from the New 52. DC has the right to make changes, and I've tried a number of the books.

But nothing they've done was worth what they lost. They sacrificed their history, a huge chunk of the great things that had done, for sales. That's what they did. And they got their sales increase.

What they lost...is far greater, in my opinion.

Awesome post. :-D

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 430 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:38 pm

nietoperz wrote:Very little, unfortunately:

Wonder Woman is the best she has been since George Perez's post-COIE relaunch.
Snyder's Batman.
Snyder's Swamp Thing
I, Vampire.
Earth 2, so far.

....and that really is it. The reboot itself failed creatively because they took it as an excuse to reinvent characters that did not need reinventing, decided not to listen to the fans under any circumstances and also because it appears to be happening in a panic and without any kind of roadmap or strong guiding hand.

This right here.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Captain Marvel is terrible. I really want Billy Batson to get hit by a car. It's a waste of Frank's talent.

Anyway, positivity:
Everything about Wonder Woman
The Dark line
Getting Capullo off of Spawn/Mcfarlane copying type work. Dude's got a great style on his own. Really surprised how much I enjoy his work.
OMAC while it lasted

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand