Advertisement

What are you reading, Book-wise not comic-wise?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Liked in: 0 post
Title: PHD in idiot.

Re: What are you reading, Book-wise not comic-wise?

Postby DoctorStupid » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 am

I tend to stick to non fiction when it comes to book. I really have no idea why. Perhaps I prefer a break from fiction since most tv/movies I watch are fictional. Here are the last three books I read.

Great book! I'm working on a business plan to open a brewery which is why I bought this one, but it turns out that it's an awesome book on it's own! A must read for any aspiring entrepreneur, or anyone with an interest in craft beer.

This is a very light and east to read book. George has a talent for speaking to you like you're actually hanging out with him at a bar. The book is basically a mix of short stories about his life and all sorts of interesting facts about beer. There are a lot of really funny and interesting stories about different celebrities in there as well. Super fun read!

I have never been affected by a book more than this one. Absolutely outstanding! It is a social science textbook. Sounds boring right? Hell no it isn't! Plous goes through the history of major social science experiments and shows you the frightening reality of human behavior and how easily affected by EVERYTHING it really is. Be warned...after reading these studies, you will have far less faith in just about every survey, statistic, poll, eyewitness account, personal description, and recalled memory that you or anyone else has (or will) ever done, said, or written. I know...sounds super conspiracy theory-ish. It really isn't. We are all just very biased and easily manipulated by the most subtle of things. The greatest part about the book is the questionnaire at the beginning. You answer a whole bunch of seemingly pointless questions on paper before reading, and throughout the book Plous has you reference your responses and you get to see how you do compared to the people in the actual experiments. You will fail a lot. Really cool.

Anyway, that last one is like $80 or something, unfortunately, but if you can manage to get your hands on it, I highly recommend it.
-Dr. Stupid

Advertisement

Kat_Rocha
Whale Castrato

Postby Kat_Rocha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Lately I've been reading a lot on the Spiritualist movement of the late 1800's and all the con artists that made a MINT making people believe they were seeing ghosts. No specific books. Just lots of free history texts online.

-kat

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Postby DoctorStupid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm

That sounds super interesting!! Got any links?
-Dr. Stupid

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Zero wrote:Image

Now is this a sequel or a stand alone. I just read Horns by Joe Hill first exposure of his writing and I liked it a lot.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Kat_Rocha wrote:Lately I've been reading a lot on the Spiritualist movement of the late 1800's and all the con artists that made a MINT making people believe they were seeing ghosts. No specific books. Just lots of free history texts online.

-kat

That does sound interesting.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 232 posts
Title: Forum Manager

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 707 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm listening to the Casual Vacancy.

It's... interesting, but not what I expected.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Still plodding through book three of game of thrones. Very discouraging when ive been reading if for two weeks and it only shows 30% and 342 pages read.

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Postby DoctorStupid » Wed May 01, 2013 8:31 am

Holy hell that's a big book! I don't have the patience or focus to read a book that big.
-Dr. Stupid

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Wed May 01, 2013 9:00 am

DoctorStupid wrote:Holy hell that's a big book! I don't have the patience or focus to read a book that big.

Book Three is over a 1000 pages. I'll admit I'm a slow reader, but I feel like this is one book I may put down around 500 read another book and then pick this one back up to read the last 500.

Midas
cheese

Postby Midas » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 am

bkthomson wrote:
Book Three is over a 1000 pages. I'll admit I'm a slow reader, but I feel like this is one book I may put down around 500 read another book and then pick this one back up to read the last 500.

You're going to want to put it down at about the half way point...for other reasons.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 156 posts

Postby misac » Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 am

bkthomson wrote:Still plodding through book three of game of thrones. Very discouraging when ive been reading if for two weeks and it only shows 30% and 342 pages read.

:-D I love how the Kindle keeps track of your progress. With small books it feels like you’re breezing through it.

When I was reading The Stand on my lunch breaks that damned percentage would barely move sometimes. :) :oops:

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 am

Midas wrote:
You're going to want to put it down at about the half way point...for other reasons.

:lol: Oh, gawd. Trying to figure out which Stark is going to die this time.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Wed May 01, 2013 11:36 am

misac wrote:
:-D I love how the Kindle keeps track of your progress. With small books it feels like you’re breezing through it.

When I was reading The Stand on my lunch breaks that damned percentage would barely move sometimes. :) :oops:

I KNOW! Even worse we you set it how much time you have left in a chapter and your going, damn I really do read slow.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum