Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers #7 (Progressive Hipster Propaganda Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 975 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Uncanny Avengers #7 (Progressive Hipster Propaganda Spoi

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm still very torn on this book. I absolutely love the fact that Remender is continuing plots and ideas from his Uncanny X-Force run. Obviously, Wolverine's kill team didn't get the job done as well as they thought they had and now their problems are slowly becoming Avengers problems. I wonder if any of this will have repercussions that will be felt by Wolverine in the future.

Once again, the weakest part of this issue for me personally was Acuña's art. Honestly, I feel that Acuña took a step back this issue. In my opinion, his art was a little bit stronger and more defined last issue. I was a little disappointed that Remender killed Jeb Lee the Horsemen of Famine but I have faith in the direction he is going, so it's a minor complaint because the character was the most interesting of the current batch of Horsemen.

Finally, I will echo the sentiments that others have already voiced. I am not a fan of the characterization being used to depict the main characters. It feels like all of Rogue's growth since she joined the X-Men in 1983 has been thrown out the window and the Scarlet Witch is the last person who should be closed minded and judgmental. I don't have a problem with a potential romance between Havok and Wasp but I don't believe that Janet would be that strong and forceful about it and could somebody please tell me what happened to Havok and Polaris?
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 427 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Grayson wrote:I'm still very torn on this book. I absolutely love the fact that Remender is continuing plots and ideas from his Uncanny X-Force run. Obviously, Wolverine's kill team didn't get the job done as well as they thought they had and now their problems are slowly becoming Avengers problems. I wonder if any of this will have repercussions that will be felt by Wolverine in the future.

Once again, the weakest part of this issue for me personally was Acuña's art. Honestly, I feel that Acuña took a step back this issue. In my opinion, his art was a little bit stronger and more defined last issue. I was a little disappointed that Remender killed Jeb Lee the Horsemen of Famine but I have faith in the direction he is going, so it's a minor complaint because the character was the most interesting of the current batch of Horsemen.

Finally, I will echo the sentiments that others have already voiced. I am not a fan of the characterization being used to depict the main characters. It feels like all of Rogue's growth since she joined the X-Men in 1983 has been thrown out the window and the Scarlet Witch is the last person who should be closed minded and judgmental. I don't have a problem with a potential romance between Havok and Wasp but I don't believe that Janet would be that strong and forceful about it and could somebody please tell me what happened to Havok and Polaris?

i'm guessing Havok and Polaris
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
split up when he left X-Factor and she didn't. He didn't seem comfortable with that group, and she did. That and fully getting her memories/sanity back probably factored into the break up. I don't think there was that much of an "on panel" break up. Just they went their separate ways, Alex joining the Avengers and Lorna staying with X-Factor

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 pm

e_galston wrote:i'm guessing Havok and Polaris
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
split up when he left X-Factor and she didn't. He didn't seem comfortable with that group, and she did. That and fully getting her memories/sanity back probably factored into the break up. I don't think there was that much of an "on panel" break up. Just they went their separate ways, Alex joining the Avengers and Lorna staying with X-Factor

Oh...that sucks. :-(

I liked them and they have been through a lot together! Dammit Marvel, quit breaking up perfectly good couples! :smt013
ImageImageImage

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 311 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Grayson wrote:
Oh...that sucks. :-(

I liked them and they have been through a lot together! Dammit Marvel, quit breaking up perfectly good couples! :smt013

I so agree here. After how long Alex and Lorna have been together, the best they can do is have them apparently break up off panel? I'm really getting sick of Quesada and co's anti-marriage/ relationship fetish.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:23 am

avengingtitan wrote:Agreed. Remender also just wont let go of the stupid Apocalypse story. Its what killed his X-Force run for me.

Never read his X-Force, but as Apocalypse is a villain I have no interest in, I guess I can skip this book for now.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:12 pm

Amoebas wrote:Never read his X-Force, but as Apocalypse is a villain I have no interest in, I guess I can skip this book for now.

Remender's Uncanny X-Force run was actually quite good and just like Uncanny Avengers, it actually has very little to do with Apocalypse himself. Uncanny X-Force deals with the fallout from Apocalypse's death, a successor being chosen, and that successor filling a role given to him by the Celestials. Uncanny Avengers picks up the pieces that Wolverine's merry little murder crew left behind...but multiplies them because Kang is now involved.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm

I seem to be the only one who didn't like the killing of the Celestial. :smt102

To me it came across as a writer going, "see see, isn't this weapon cool!" My reaction was more, "give me a break." :roll:

Maybe a little more build up to see what the axe can do? Maybe kill a minor character here or a minor character there to show that it is very powerful before you go right for a Celestial? But to go ahead and kill a Celestial right off the bat with the villain's first use of the axe just strikes me as very over the top in an unwanted kind of way.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:43 pm

I hate celestials so I liked that.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:59 pm

Keb wrote:I hate celestials so I liked that.

I'm indifferent to them myself actually. In the end, my problem with this is the question -- where does he go with the axe from here? Making a big splash with something to start off isn't a bad thing. However, in this case, I think the splash might be too big. Now that it's been used to kill a Celestial, is anything else going to seem as big a deal? That's going to hurt this story in the long run I'm thinking.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed May 01, 2013 4:52 am

Stephen Day wrote:I seem to be the only one who didn't like the killing of the Celestial. :smt102

To me it came across as a writer going, "see see, isn't this weapon cool!" My reaction was more, "give me a break." :roll:

Maybe a little more build up to see what the axe can do? Maybe kill a minor character here or a minor character there to show that it is very powerful before you go right for a Celestial? But to go ahead and kill a Celestial right off the bat with the villain's first use of the axe just strikes me as very over the top in an unwanted kind of way.

I suppose it was a bit like when Loeb had Red Hulk punch The Watcher in the face, but then I liked that too...

I dunno, I just like seeing these sacred cow uber-cosmic powerful entities get brought down a peg.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 am

I'm with Punchy ( :shock: ), as someone who does not like the Eternals and thinks it's Kirby's weakest Marvel work, I like the fact that the Celestials are being brought down a bit here. It shows that they aren't the super-powerful cosmic force that they've been made out to be. I really like that as a pairing with the whole idea of the builders in Hickman's Avengers. It shows that there are all kinds of things going on in the MU and that one supreme entity doesn't trump all others.

I also like the fact that with Odin's enchantment, it gives the Asgardians an edge in terms of god-stuff. With all of that, it really increases Thor's personal stake in the series and also ties to Thor: God of Thunder and promotes that "shared universe".

As much as I think a throw-down between Jarnbjorn and Mjolnir is cliche, I'd love to see it go down.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 197 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Keb wrote:Um when did Rogue and Magneto hook up in 616?

X-Men Legacy by Mike Carey.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 45 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Wed May 01, 2013 2:47 pm

The idea that a Celestial can be killed with one whack of a magic ax is silly. Especially in the issue beforehand we see the same ax used just to wound, not kill, Apocalypse, who's a servant of the space gods and nowhere near as powerful.

The scene where Wasp all but throws herself at Havok was just as terrible.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Zechs wrote:
X-Men Legacy by Mike Carey.

Word. I only read up to Messiah Complex and never bothered with X-Men Legacy.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 126 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm

MikeinLA wrote:The idea that a Celestial can be killed with one whack of a magic ax is silly. Especially in the issue beforehand we see the same ax used just to wound, not kill, Apocalypse, who's a servant of the space gods and nowhere near as powerful.

The scene where Wasp all but throws herself at Havok was just as terrible.

maybe he is as powerful, or even more powerful? :smt102 He is, after all an imaginary character.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand