Advertisement

FF #6 (The dog can come with us Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

FF #6 (The dog can come with us Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 am

Wow, if there’s one man who can fill in for Mike Allred, then Joe Quinones is it, his work in this issue was absolutely brilliant and very much in the same tone as Allred’s. I’ve been very impressed by Quinones’ covers on Captain Marvel recently, but his interior stuff may be even better. I’m a sucker for cut-out diagrams of the Baxter Building like Kirby used to do, and this issue’s may be one of the best ever. The plot in this issue was mainly stuff moving slowly into place, but there were some great moments. I especially liked Ahura’s mental confrontation with his dad, Black Bolt, that was very cool, but then I love everything Black Bolt, such a bad-ass character. I also like how Fraction is taking the time to actually develop the Yancy Street Gang and to modernise them for the 21st century.

It’s also surprising me how dark this book actually is, with the cartoonish art from both Mike Allred and now Quinones and the bright colours of Laura Allred, you think this title is a whole barrel of kitschy fun, but there’s a darkness beneath it, especially with Scott Lang, his nightmares, his talking to a picture of his daughter, it’s moving and worrying. The ending of the issue was great too, the Negative Zone! Oh yeah, it’s on.

And also, what was with that scene where one of the Moloids declares that it’s a woman? Are supposed to think that it’s a transgender Moloid? Or it’s just the first one to realise that there are different genders? Because I seem to remember some big-boobed Moloid women in Jason Aaron’s Hulk run. Are we supposed to find it hilarious or is that Uncanny Avengers #5 levels of offensive? And I thought Hickman’s FF was confusing!

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: FF #6 (The dog can come with us Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 pm

The art was horrible.

The updating of the Yancy Street Gang is so completely unwanted. The only thing Fraction got right was that the YSG (like me) thinks that Thing-girl is an awful character.

I really don't know what the point of this book is supposed to be.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Amoebas wrote:The art was horrible.

The updating of the Yancy Street Gang is so completely unwanted. The only thing Fraction got right was that the YSG (like me) thinks that Thing-girl is an awful character.

I really don't know what the point of this book is supposed to be.

Quinones is awesome, you're nuts.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 pm

I don't mind the art either Punchy, but then again, the style comic art is rarely a concern for me, with a few notable exceptions of course. I do agree with Amoebas about this version of the Yancy Street Gang -- I'm not a big fan of it either. I don't want to know the names of any individual Gang members as I feel that the concept works best as a group of faceless pranksters. It loses something when you move it beyond that.

About Tong (I guess coming out as transgender -- I'm not sure if that's exactly what's happening either :smt102 ) I agree that it seems strange. With the tone conveyed by the artwork, it comes cross as not very serious. Some the reactions by other characters, Scott's, "Is that a thing they're doing now," as an example, didn't help in that regard either. Then in the same panel, Darla react with a, "Good for her," and this suggest a more serious tone. It leaves the reader not quite sure how to react. It could be that that was what fraction was going for -- I hope that's the case.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 01, 2013 4:50 am

Stephen Day wrote:About Tong (I guess coming out as transgender -- I'm not sure if that's exactly what's happening either :smt102 ) I agree that it seems strange. With the tone conveyed by the artwork, it comes cross as not very serious. Some the reactions by other characters, Scott's, "Is that a thing they're doing now," as an example, didn't help in that regard either. Then in the same panel, Darla react with a, "Good for her," and this suggest a more serious tone. It leaves the reader not quite sure how to react. It could be that that was what fraction was going for -- I hope that's the case.

It's a shame that Comics Alliance was closed down, I'm sure they could have explained how we should feel about this!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand