Wednesday, September 28, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "30 charges and no convictions."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

English Question

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu May 02, 2013 10:31 am

I'LL CLEANSE MY COLON RIGHT NOW!

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am

The Oxford comma is a matter of preference (if you are an immoral philistine), but my big beef is with not using a comma to separate independent clauses in a compound sentence, as if it were merely a complex sentence! There can be no compromise on that! :x :x :x

BarrySagittarius

Twenty-Something

Postby BarrySagittarius » Thu May 02, 2013 10:44 am

nietoperz wrote:It's 'is.' Nintendo is a company, singular.

For it to be plural, the sentence would have to be something like, "The staff at Nintendo are the most family-oriented..."

your example isn't correct either
staff is still a singular noun, though collective of a group. Take away the identifier Nintendo and the correct phrasing is still = "The staff is the most family oriented..."
"Members of the staff at Nintendo are the most family-oriented..." would be correct.

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The Oxford comma is a matter of preference (if you are an immoral philistine), but my big beef is with not using a comma to separate independent clauses in a compound sentence, as if it were merely a complex sentence! There can be no compromise on that! :x :x :x

:smt017

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am

bkthomson wrote:
:smt017

Never compromise!

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 am

You can have my Oxford Comma when you pry it from my cold, dead keyboard! :smt013

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu May 02, 2013 11:32 am

I blame all of this on Vampire Weekend!

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 am

I wish I knew how to write properly :cry:

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu May 02, 2013 12:36 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Never compromise!

:lol:

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu May 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Oh man; there's some great grammars happening at this thread.

leave a comment with facebook