Advertisement

Beer thread!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Re: Beer thread!

Postby achilles » Thu May 02, 2013 11:39 am

nietoperz wrote:Image

Terrific in England or Ireland. I had some in the brewery in Dublin once. But it doesn't travel well, and stores in the states refrigerate it, which seems to mess it up. :-(
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Advertisement

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 am

MistaT wrote:
I drank a lot of Bit Burger when I was in Germany, I haven't seen it here in the states.

Heh, I get it all the time at a local German butcher shop. They've got all sorts of great German beers I can't find any place else. Try BevMo or Wine, Spirits and More. They often have it. Or any similar store if you don't have those where you live. Basically liquor super-stores. They have a far greater variety of beers, (and other liquors, including mead and absinth or raki and ouzo---that you just can't find elsewhere), than any place else.

Also a variety of German wines if that's your thing.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 am

I've really been enjoying 21 Amendment's Bitter American. It's a session ale, but has a lot more flavor than some other lower gravity beers I've tried.

In the evening, I usually enjoy a nice Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 am

achilles wrote:
Terrific in England or Ireland. I had some in the brewery in Dublin once. But it doesn't travel well, and stores in the states refrigerate it, which seems to mess it up. :-(

Yeah, I know. I had one in a bar in Washington DC once, and I have to say I was pretty horrified. It just tasted wrong.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 61 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Thu May 02, 2013 11:50 am

We drink a lot of these, especially the Wheat. It's brewed in Lawrence, KS.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Thu May 02, 2013 12:22 pm

nietoperz wrote:I love bacon. But I really don't want my beer to taste of it.

You'd change your tune after trying it.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
You'd change your tune after trying it.

This was much better than it had any right to be, all things considered, but I don't think I would ever drink it again (or at least pay to do so).

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 pm

I really love smoked beers, Flying Dog Brewery did one last year called Dog Schwartz and it was incredible.

Today however I've been sat in bars drinking pale beers because it's so hot.

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Liked in: 0 post
Title: PHD in idiot.

Postby DoctorStupid » Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Dude, smoked beer is delicious. There is a smoked doppelbock that blew my ind a couple of months ago. Same brewery in fact! It was soooooo gooooood............

We actually get Bitburger here in Florida. You can get it at most local grocery stores. For a state that is not at all known for our brewing (yet), we get a huge variety of craft and import brews here.
-Dr. Stupid

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu May 02, 2013 1:09 pm

achilles wrote:

It's supposed to be served cold. When I went to the brewery in Dublin, we got a cold pint. It was probably the second-best pint of Guinness I'd ever had. The first best was in Davy Byrne's pub at lunch while reading Ulysses (because Gorgonzola sandwiches and burgundy were not on the menu).

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Thu May 02, 2013 1:29 pm

DoctorStupid wrote:Dude, smoked beer is delicious. There is a smoked doppelbock that blew my ind a couple of months ago. Same brewery in fact! It was soooooo gooooood............

We actually get Bitburger here in Florida. You can get it at most local grocery stores. For a state that is not at all known for our brewing (yet), we get a huge variety of craft and import brews here.

I'll look around this weekend since I'll be home and plan on getting shitfaced! :drunk

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Postby DoctorStupid » Sat May 04, 2013 2:35 pm

I was so mad...I went to Sam's Club to get some of this...

...but they had swapped it out the day before for another seasonal! Ruthless is an AMAZING beer if you haven't tried it. Oh well...I got this instead, which is excellent, but still not as good.

It really is good...definitely worth picking up. Very crisp and easy to drink which makes it a great summer/spring beer, but at the same time it has a lot of flavor. Just drank one before posting this!

For those interested...a note about beer serving temperature:
No beer is really meant to be served warm. More like red wine temperature which is around ~50-55 F. There is a very good reason for this. With any drink, the warmer it is, the more flavor you pick up. This is why incredibly cheap lagers made with fillers and chemicals like bud Light need to be served as cold as humanly possible...because you don't want to taste it. Have you ever had a warm Bud Light? It's the most awful flavor on earth. Styles that tend to bee sweeter and malt forward like stouts, porters, dopplebocks, etc have a huge flavor profile and they tend to be very complex. By serving them at typical beer temperature in a frosted glass, you are really muting out most of the flavor the brewer intended for you to taste.

Do an experiment and pour two glasses of stout. Put one in the freezer for 30 minutes and leave the other one out on the counter. Taste them side by side and see how massive the difference in flavor is. This is the very reason red wines are not to be served ice cold...the wine becomes boring and so much flavor is just lost. This is also why really hardcore whiskey drinkers say bourbon on the rocks is for wusses and the only way to drink it is neat. If you do the above experiment with bourbon...ha ha ha...there is no way you will ever question what I'm describing again.\

ANYWAY...bringing it back full circle...the reason everyone always says that the British serve warm beer is because most of the classic English styles are darker malty beers, and they are not served warm...they just seem warm to the average American because we're used to frosted glasses filled with flavorless swill. Keb, it's possible that the bar in Dublin you visited catered to Americans, or perhaps the bar owners just didn't know how to properly serve their beer (yes, it's true....just like in the US there are plenty of people who have no idea what they're doing in Ireland...or anywhere else for that matter).
-Dr. Stupid

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 527 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat May 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Yeah I've read that the designation "room temperature" referred to a time when the beer (or wine) would be stored in relatively cold temperatures in a cellar. So it doesn't mean the 65-70 degrees modern people keep their temperature-controlled living rooms. Putting a bottle of red wine in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving makes for a nice temperature.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Postby DoctorStupid » Sat May 04, 2013 2:59 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Yeah I've read that the designation "room temperature" referred to a time when the beer (or wine) would be stored in relatively cold temperatures in a cellar. So it doesn't mean the 65-70 degrees modern people keep their temperature-controlled living rooms. Putting a bottle of red wine in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving makes for a nice temperature.

Exactly! In fact, that's what I always did before I got my wine fridge. Now I keep my red wines and darker beers in there at 50 degrees, and I put my white wines and other beers in one of my beer fridges.
-Dr. Stupid

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 527 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 05, 2013 1:42 am

This thread inspired me to try a new beer today. I usually just drink whatever is the cheapest tolerable beer a the grocery store, which is usually PBR or Rolling Rock, but I tried Shiner Bock today. It's pretty good.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum