Sunday, September 25, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Yellow journalism at its finest."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

DC52 Question - What Did They Get Right?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 02, 2013 10:31 am

nietoperz wrote:The thing is (and as others have pointed out) the true triumphs of the New 52 would have worked just as well in the old DCU - think of Batman, Swamp Thing and Animal Man: they just built upon previous continuity. The real fuck-ups have been the books where DC has elected just to start again. Superman is unrecognisable, as are his peripheral characters. Ditto the Titans. It's just not a good idea.

One other thing: John Constantine can work perfectly well in the DCU. After all, he started out there, and it was really only in recent years that his book started to exist in its own reality, as it were. What does not work for the character is running around battling super-villains and being part of Justice League events.


Boo-Yah! Well said!

Some restarts work, but only some. Wonder Woman seems to have worked and did with Perez in the 80s, though all he did was take Mars, make him badass and call him Ares.

I always like the original concept of Vertigo and the characters belonging to it. They are in the shadows of the DCU and can come and go as they pleased.
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:33 am

Pretty clear most of what dc did didn't need a reboot.
Why they didn't create an ultimate universe is beyond me
User avatar

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Thu May 02, 2013 10:39 am

What they did right:

Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman
Batman
Batman and Robin
Earth 2
Dial H
JL Dark
OMAC
Grant Morrison's Action
Sword of Sorcery (love the Amethyst story)

What I've liked beyond that in spite of some flaws

Hawk and Dove
DC Universe Presents
Superman after Lobdell took over (apart from the ending of H'el)
Superboy
Supergirl
Green Lantern books
Attempts at doing other things (war books, sci fi)

What they need to stop for a while

GL and Batman crossovers

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am

holtom2000 wrote:Pretty clear most of what dc did didn't need a reboot.
Why they didn't create an ultimate universe is beyond me


Yet they did. Sort of.
User avatar

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Thu May 02, 2013 10:44 am

The biggest issue is that they didn't really push other fronts. They could've gone into the supermarkets/bookstores harder if they wanted to pull in new readers.
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Yet they did. Sort of.

yah I should have said create an ultimate universe and keep the old one as well.
This thing has New Coke written all over it.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm

holtom2000 wrote:yah I should have said create an ultimate universe and keep the old one as well.
This thing has New Coke written all over it.


And here's hoping that they use the escape hatch, reboot and keep what worked from 52 while bringing back the rest.

Or hiring me (cheap) to over see a reboot.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Fri May 03, 2013 12:47 am

holtom2000 wrote:Pretty clear most of what dc did didn't need a reboot.
Why they didn't create an ultimate universe is beyond me


They did with the All-Star imprint which went as quickly as it came.
User avatar

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 am

draco x wrote:
They did with the All-Star imprint which went as quickly as it came.


Well when they spend 8 issues getting to the Batcave....
User avatar

achilles

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby achilles » Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 am

Herald wrote:Hmmm...

They managed to spell the characters' names right! That's an accomplishment! :D


Did they?!? Then why is Power Girl's name given as Kara Zor-El-----AND Kara Zor-L?!? :smt102

I'm thinking this is some complicated evil plot by Didio and Harras to drive fans insane wondering... :smt013

Also that there must be a trope for that.
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 am

achilles wrote:
Did they?!? Then why is Power Girl's name given as Kara Zor-El-----AND Kara Zor-L?!? :smt102

I'm thinking this is some complicated evil plot by Didio and Harras to drive fans insane wondering... :smt013

Also that there must be a trope for that.


*Balki from Perfect Strangers voice*

"Of COURSE there is! Don't be ridiculous!"

8)
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Well when they spend 8 issues getting to the Batcave....


Jim Lee so fucked up on this that it's not even funny.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue May 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Will the 52 be like All-Star Batman... never completed. :smt102
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Wed May 08, 2013 5:19 am

Justice League
Aquaman
The Flash
Wonder Woman
Earth 2
World's Finest
Captain Atom
DC Universe Presents
Batman
Batman and Robin
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batwoman
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Batman Incorporated
Action Comics
Supergirl
Superman
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Red Lanterns
All-star Western
Stormwatch
Suicide Squad
Threshold
Animal Man
Demon Knights
Justice League Dark
Swamp Thing
Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE
Resurrection Man
I, Vampire

I'm still on the fence about Katana, Vibe, Phantom Stranger, Constantine, Dial H (this one will probably be cut soon) and Sword and Sorcery.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed May 08, 2013 11:26 am

syxxpakk wrote:Justice League
Aquaman
The Flash
Wonder Woman
Earth 2
World's Finest
Captain Atom
DC Universe Presents
Batman
Batman and Robin
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batwoman
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Batman Incorporated
Action Comics
Supergirl
Superman
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Red Lanterns
All-star Western
Stormwatch
Suicide Squad
Threshold
Animal Man
Demon Knights
Justice League Dark
Swamp Thing
Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE
Resurrection Man
I, Vampire

I'm still on the fence about Katana, Vibe, Phantom Stranger, Constantine, Dial H (this one will probably be cut soon) and Sword and Sorcery.


Interesting in that that is a long list. What was it about one or more of those that worked for you?

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests