Advertisement

If you think comic book continuity is bad....

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

If you think comic book continuity is bad....

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Try piecing together Mortal Kombat's continuity.

I never bothered with it after the transition to 3D and I've been playing the latest one after it was finally unbanned in Australia. Decided to google up what the storyline was right before this reboot. You know what I found? Pages and boards dedicated to arguing this all over the internet with nothing set in stone and not even the games themselves have an official continuity, just a lot of contradictory character endings and a new plot incorporated into the following games with barely any filler to explain what happened between.

Then again it's hard to take those endings seriously with stuff like this :lol:

No wonder they didn't only reboot the franchise and actually rebooted the timeline.

Advertisement

GiveWarAChance
penile prisoner

Liked in: 611 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Re: If you think comic book continuity is bad....

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 pm

I try not to pay much attention to most fighting games continuity. If I tried to make sense of them my head would explode.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:I try not to pay much attention to most fighting games continuity. If I tried to make sense of them my head would explode.

True, but when they have "official" campaign/konquest mode's you'd think they'd carry over. not so :P

A hilarious thing I found was the whole Reiko = Shao Kahn ending. It took the MK team over a decade to resolved that.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Tekken cured me of trying to figure out fighting game stories
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GiveWarAChance
penile prisoner

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 pm

I was actually considering picking up the new Mortal Kombat recently. For $20 you get the game with all the DLC, the shitty movie and music soundtrack.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 197 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu May 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Haha those videos are awful! I love it!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu May 02, 2013 7:57 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:I was actually considering picking up the new Mortal Kombat recently. For $20 you get the game with all the DLC, the shitty movie and music soundtrack.

It's fun save for one thing that made me want to impale my TV with my controller: I'd forgotten how utterly cheap Shao Kahn was. The only character anywhere close to his cheapness is Quan Chi...and every time I've faced him he's double teamed me with a partner.

Hate having to resort to cheap tactics myself, but it seems to be the only way to best them. :(

Examples are:

Shao Kahn: I fireball spammed him from the very start and KO'ed him doing nothing else. He's cheaper than a Thai hooker and he only recycles 4 moves.
Kintaro: I spammed Kung Lao's spin move into an uppercut as most of the time he'd just throw me mid-move into one of his stupid 40% health damage combo's.
Goro: not that bad, just keep jumping over him and using one flying high kick.
Quan Chi: Like I said, he'll abuse the teleport tag team spam thing massively and he's possibly got the fastest teleport in the game...after every successful attack I'd have to crouch block in anticipation.

Outside of that, most of the other fights are actually good and the story is also fun to follow.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Yeah, it's always difficult to have continuity in a fighting game when you have several characters, any of which can be selected by the player to be the "main character" for a play session. I don't know about Mortal Kombat, but Street Fighter, KOF, and Tekken usually have one designated "true ending" to each tournament. Of course, to find out what that ending is, you have to look it up online.

That said, let's face it: The story in a fighting game is largely an Excuse Plot to justify having an assorted cast of characters hit each other. :P
Last edited by Herald on Thu May 02, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HNutz
P&#1062;&#1048;K&#1063; &#1042;&#1071;&#1025;&#106

Liked in: 381 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu May 02, 2013 10:51 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:I was actually considering picking up the new Mortal Kombat recently. For $20 you get the game with all the DLC, the shitty movie and music soundtrack.

The first movie was good...

GiveWarAChance
penile prisoner

Postby GiveWarAChance » Fri May 03, 2013 12:13 am

HNutz wrote:

I haven't watched it, but rotten tomatoes has it at 34% and it scores a 5.6 at imdb. Is it really that good? I remember from previews and trailers that it looked terrible. Maybe my memory is failing me.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri May 03, 2013 7:56 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:I haven't watched it, but rotten tomatoes has it at 34% and it scores a 5.6 at imdb. Is it really that good? I remember from previews and trailers that it looked terrible. Maybe my memory is failing me.

It's a total cheese fest, but an entertaining one, and actually quite true to the game in most respects. It's as good a movie as you could expect something based on Mortal Kombat to be.

HNutz
P&#1062;&#1048;K&#1063; &#1042;&#1071;&#1025;&#106

Liked in: 381 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 am

MrBlack wrote:It's a total cheese fest, but an entertaining one, and actually quite true to the game in most respects. It's as good a movie as you could expect something based on Mortal Kombat to be.

Yeah, it was fun. There was good casting, it stayed true to the storyline of the game, the fights made sense, it was funny in parts... Big fan, except for the sequel hook ending.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 am

HNutz wrote:

One of the best openings i've ever been to. It was a midnight showing and the entire theater was just going nuts, people throwing popcorn and drinks at the screen, yelling out moves and one liners, calling bullshit on fight outcomes. It was like a party in there.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand