Advertisement

Just bought a house.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40096
Likes: 218 posts
Liked in: 365 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Keb » Fri May 03, 2013 10:49 am

Jack Burton wrote:Congrats. I've been a home owner for a year and half and here's something someone told me that has proven true:

You will NEVER stop paying for it. I had to put a ton of money into fixing my homes finished basement. The original "contractors' the previous homeowners were corner cutting hacks. :smt013

It always pays to have a thing in the contract so a home inspector (one that is accredited) will come through and do an inspection of the home before you close the deal.

I went through hell trying to fix up my mother's house a couple years ago because the buyers hired some hotshot home inspector who came through and said we had to change this and that. It was so bad. They wanted us to basically dig up the garden so the woman could plant, which they put in the contract as "landscaping", so we cut the grass, left the manual mower there and got on with our lives.

Watched an interesting show a couple weeks ago about people who buy homes that are former meth labs and grow-op houses. A lot of the construction work in those after they're seized is very shoddy and not up to standards, yet contractors and sellers seem to get by.

Advertisement

Jack Burton
User avatar
biny little tird
 
Posts: 12224
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 42 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Braintree, MA


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Jack Burton » Fri May 03, 2013 10:54 am

Keb wrote:It always pays to have a thing in the contract so a home inspector (one that is accredited) will come through and do an inspection of the home before you close the deal.

I went through hell trying to fix up my mother's house a couple years ago because the buyers hired some hotshot home inspector who came through and said we had to change this and that. It was so bad. They wanted us to basically dig up the garden so the woman could plant, which they put in the contract as "landscaping", so we cut the grass, left the manual mower there and got on with our lives.

Watched an interesting show a couple weeks ago about people who buy homes that are former meth labs and grow-op houses. A lot of the construction work in those after they're seized is very shoddy and not up to standards, yet contractors and sellers seem to get by.


We had a home inspector and he did point out some issues with the basement. Our problem was we underestimated what the work that needed to be done would cost and the previous owners complete and utter ineptitude in fixing shit. We frequently refer to them as the Half Asses.

CountD
User avatar
Undead Member
 
Posts: 35569
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 pm
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby CountD » Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 am

I love my home. It's one of the oldest in the borough, well water, large rhodadendrons and japanese maples, zoschia grass, lots of room inside, dual a/c units.

The unfinished basement is my practice studio. :)

but yeah, Jack is right, every house is a money pit. Sometimes they rush construction on new ones and 'forget' to do things like peal the backing off the roof shingles or something. You have to expect the unexpected.

Chesscub
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11631
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Dracut, MA
Title: Bear du jour


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Chesscub » Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 am

Jack Burton wrote:
We had a home inspector and he did point out some issues with the basement. Our problem was we underestimated what the work that needed to be done would cost and the previous owners complete and utter ineptitude in fixing shit. We frequently refer to them as the Half Asses.


Your previous owners didn't have a last name of Roberge did they? They left holes in walls and electrical that was bleh.

CountD
User avatar
Undead Member
 
Posts: 35569
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 pm
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby CountD » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

consider a fence for your home.

I'm getting one, you should, too. It's a nice way to ensure your privacy and keep things sorta safe.

always go 6' vinyl, w/ steel reinforcements.

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33872
Likes: 1260 posts
Liked in: 689 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Halloweentown
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby outsider » Fri May 03, 2013 11:17 am

Jack Burton wrote:
We had a home inspector and he did point out some issues with the basement. Our problem was we underestimated what the work that needed to be done would cost and the previous owners complete and utter ineptitude in fixing shit. We frequently refer to them as the Half Asses.
At my previous house, the dryer wouldn't vent to the outside, making the humidity/moisture level crazy in the laundry room. I checked the outside vent & it was clear. I went back inside, pulled the dryer vent hose and it was like a damn clown/magic trick. The dumbasses must have bought a 20' hose and instead of trimming it, just shoved ALL of it in the crawlspace.
-

Jack Burton
User avatar
biny little tird
 
Posts: 12224
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 42 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Braintree, MA


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Jack Burton » Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 am

Chesscub wrote:
Your previous owners didn't have a last name of Roberge did they? They left holes in walls and electrical that was bleh.


No it was Hill.

What these people did was have a finished basement without a true heat seat up. We were assured the electric fire place heated the whole space.

It wasn't even close. I played Mass Effect 3 last year wrapped in an afghan with the heated air blowing directly on me. So we figure no big deal how much can it cost to reheat duct a basement?(here's a tip...It's a bunch)

They also never finished flooring the basement. They ran out of laminate flooring so the threw a rug over it. They didn't even put the flooring in correctly in the first place.

So in February we tore down the previous ceiling tile(which btw had started to sag) had the heat duct re-worked, double checked the electric(because at this point these people could not be trusted) and installed a new ceiling.

I'm doing the floor next year.
Last edited by Jack Burton on Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chesscub
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11631
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Dracut, MA
Title: Bear du jour


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Chesscub » Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 am

outsider wrote:At my previous house, the dryer wouldn't vent to the outside, making the humidity/moisture level crazy in the laundry room. I checked the outside vent & it was clear. I went back inside, pulled the dryer vent hose and it was like a damn clown/magic trick. The dumbasses must have bought a 20' hose and instead of trimming it, just shoved ALL of it in the crawlspace.


Oh geez that's amazingly dumb. :lol:

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40096
Likes: 218 posts
Liked in: 365 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Keb » Fri May 03, 2013 11:24 am

My brother moved into his brand new house 6 years ago. On the weekend he moved, the Sunday actually, he filled up his jacuzzi tub, hopped in and there was no pressure coming from the jets. He thought "oh well" and sat there for ten minutes or so. Then he felt kind of useless and was annoyed so he got out, changed and went downstairs to get something to drink. He walks into his kitchen and the ceiling had a HUGE leak.

Some idiot had punctured the jacuzzi pump and it leaked, going down to the kitchen ceiling and dripping from the light fixture. Luckily he had the site manager's number and called him and got it fixed the next day, but it was funny when he called home in a mad panic asking us to bring towels.

Chesscub
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11631
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Dracut, MA
Title: Bear du jour


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Chesscub » Fri May 03, 2013 11:25 am

Keb wrote:My brother moved into his brand new house 6 years ago. On the weekend he moved, the Sunday actually, he filled up his jacuzzi tub, hopped in and there was no pressure coming from the jets. He thought "oh well" and sat there for ten minutes or so. Then he felt kind of useless and was annoyed so he got out, changed and went downstairs to get something to drink. He walks into his kitchen and the ceiling had a HUGE leak.

Some idiot had punctured the jacuzzi pump and it leaked, going down to the kitchen ceiling and dripping from the light fixture. Luckily he had the site manager's number and called him and got it fixed the next day, but it was funny when he called home in a mad panic asking us to bring towels.


Making it rain : u r doin it wrong.

Pink_Orchid
User avatar
The Virgin Connie Swail
 
Posts: 3753
Likes: 71 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm
Formerly: Pink Peril




Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Pink_Orchid » Fri May 03, 2013 11:27 am

Congrats. My only advice, don't ever get a second loan on it. Just don't.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40096
Likes: 218 posts
Liked in: 365 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Keb » Fri May 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
No it was Hill.

What these people did was have a finished basement without a true heat seat up. We were assured the electric fire place heated the whole space.

It wasn't even close. I played Mass Effect 3 last year wrapped in an afghan with the heated air blowing directly on me. So we figure no big deal how much can it cost to reheat duct a basement?(here's a tip...It's a bunch)

They also never finished flooring the basement. They ran out of laminate flooring so the threw a rug over it. They didn't even put the flooring in correctly in the first place.

So in February we tore down the previous ceiling tile(which btw had started to sag) had the heat duct re-worked, double checked the electric(because at this point these people could not be trusted) and installed a new ceiling.

I'm doing the floor next year.

We got the basement finished by the builder in or old house. Eventually we ripped out the carpet and had tile put in (my dad smoked in the basement so it was awful), repainted and had a gas fireplace and a kitchen put in. It became the perfect little entertainment den. We rented it out as an apartment too.

syxxpakk
User avatar
Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 12625
Likes: 49 posts
Liked in: 111 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:13 pm
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby syxxpakk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:02 am

Now we're having second thoughts. The seller wants to wait until a week before closing to repairs per the inspection. In addition to this originally she wanted a very quick closing date . We also found out that someone pulled out of buying at the last minute prior to us. I know I can't be 100% comfortable, but for the amount of money I'm going to spend over the next 30 years, I don't think I should be losing sleep either (which I literally am right now). The repairs aren't minor, BTW, the most major of which has to do with poor foundation.

Thoughts, Outhouse?
Image

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.


@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40096
Likes: 218 posts
Liked in: 365 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:49 am

Have you spoken with your real estate agent and lawyer?

If the sale of the house is contingent on the work being done, then it NEEDS to be in the sale agreement. Absolutely 100%. Unless she plans on lowering the price so that you can afford to get the work done yourself, you should not buy a house that has foundation issues.

If you are able, see if you can renegotiate the inspection terms. Try to get an accredited inspector in there prior to closing, maybe a day or two. Make certain they are accredited and YOU (or your agent/lawyer) choose the inspector. Sounds like this seller is trying to pull some shoddy repairs on you guys.

Be firm. Sellers usually just want to get their money and get out. If you or your wife don't feel comfortable with this, just pull out. There are always going to be other houses. You can always buy, fix and flip, but if you don't have the money to fix the house it's probably not worth dipping further into debt to do.

CountD
User avatar
Undead Member
 
Posts: 35569
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 pm
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine


Re: Just bought a house.

Postby CountD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:55 am

foundation issues?

I'd pull out.

That's like having termites or a leaking oil tank in the ground.

Things like that can potentially cost tens of thousands of dollars.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Advertisement