Advertisement

All-New X-Men #11 (Stupid free will Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

All-New X-Men #11 (Stupid free will Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:25 am

I continue to really love what Bendis is doing with the X-Men titles. Each issue delivers action, drama and interesting character interactions (as well as lots and lots of talking), all masterfully drawn by Stuart Immonen. This particular instalment deals with the fall-out of OG Angel deciding to join Cyclops and his Uncanny X-Men team. This of course leads to a lot of arguing between both sides, but mostly it’s all about Jean Grey’s reaction. She kind of flips out, and tries to stop Warren leaving, and gets involved in a mind-battle with the Stepford Cuckoos.

I think what Bendis is doing with Jean is fascinating. Because she’s dead most of the time, Jean is often put on a pedestal as this perfect, virtuous woman who was everyone’s true love. But by using a young version of the character, we are getting to see the person behind the myth for the first time in years and see that she’s a complex character even without the manipulations of the Phoenix. Jean is very powerful, and because she can’t control it, she is dangerous. This is the most interesting the character has been in a long time, perhaps even in my lifetime. Also interesting was the idea that was raised in Jean and Kitty’s conversation, that the dynamic between the OG X-Men has been completely changed, whereas before they always stuck together, forming X-Factor and all of that stuff, now, they are split. Throughout this series I have been most interested in how the arrival of the original team has effected the modern-day characters (hell, that was Beast’s intent, to have it make Cyclops change his ways), but now we have to think on how it’s effected the original team themselves. These guys aren’t a plot device, Bendis is treating them like real characters.

Of course, there is still plenty of good stuff to be wrung out of present-day reactions, for example, next issue we’ll see the OG team come face to face with the Uncanny Avengers and Cyclops’ brother Havok. Correct me if I’m wrong, but at the point in time that the original team have been plucked from, does Cyclops even know that his brother is still alive? Oh yeah, and Mystique is continuing to stir up trouble, that’s fun stuff, I liked how she’s not just targeting mutant-related stuff, she’s stealing Tony Stark’s money too. This is just a brilliant comic, each issue of both this and Uncanny are momentous occasions for me!

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1008 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: All-New X-Men #11 (Stupid free will Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Personally, I love the fact that one of the original X-Men took a stand and made a their own decision based on the information they were presented with instead of just staying with the group. Warren standing up and saying, "between your nonsense and their nonsense...I like their nonsense better" really took everyone on Wolverine's side down a peg.

The stuff with Jean Grey has been incredibly interesting. She is demonstrating abilities she shouldn't have yet and she is using them in ways she shouldn't be able to control. It's obvious that being brought into the future has had terrible consequences on all of the original X-Men but maybe none so much as Jean. I really can't wait to see what Bendis' end game is here. Obviously they original X-Men are going to go back to the past eventually but what state will they be going back in and what ramifications will that have on the present as we know it?
ImageImageImage

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 791 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat May 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Goddamn this book is good. It continues to astound me that Bendis can be writing both this series and Age of Ultron.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sat May 04, 2013 6:10 pm

I think Kitty is my favorite character in this series.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 350 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Did Jean beat the three Cuckoos ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 7:13 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Did Jean beat the three Cuckoos ?

No, Cyclops eventually had to have Emma call them off because "they were being too hard on her." Boo freakin' hoo. :cry: :P
ImageImageImage

Trouble821
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Trouble821 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Do you recon it's weird that cap has showed up in uncanny xmen and is now coming with the uncanny avengers in all new xmen. Idn, it just annoys me haha

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Scans Daily has a few of the pages from the issue. It doesn't show the whole fight but you can get the general idea.

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4334296.html#cutid1

Plus, you get this awesome little nugget:

There's just something very rewarding about one of the actual original five X-Men standing on the lawn of the Jean Grey School, proclaiming that Magneto is right about something. :-D
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 350 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Jean abuses her power and violates a team member again but the Cuckoos are the bad guys :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 710 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat May 04, 2013 8:39 pm

It made total sense for Warren to go...
Sure everyone reminds each other of Jean's death, but Warren has been thru hell..

He goes to the future and learn he has been tortured and transformed and killed and his future self is a mentally challenged individual... I'd leave to.

Also because Cyclops is right.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 454 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat May 04, 2013 10:26 pm

The only reason the cuckoos beat jean is she's had her telepathy for all of like what a month if that... the cuckoos have had training by Emma Frost, Jean has had training from Kitty Pryde...

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 05, 2013 2:00 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Jean abuses her power and violates a team member again but the Cuckoos are the bad guys :lol:

That's Marvel logic for you. This is all leading to Wolverine banging her, btw.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:It made total sense for Warren to go...
Sure everyone reminds each other of Jean's death, but Warren has been thru hell..

He goes to the future and learn he has been tortured and transformed and killed and his future self is a mentally challenged individual... I'd leave to.

Also because Cyclops is right.

:lol: :lol:

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 710 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun May 05, 2013 6:23 am

e_galston wrote:The only reason the cuckoos beat jean is she's had her telepathy for all of like what a month if that... the cuckoos have had training by Emma Frost, Jean has had training from Kitty Pryde...

And there's three of them.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 454 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun May 05, 2013 8:37 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:
And there's three of them.

but if Jean had training she probably could have taken them, as she is arguably the strongest telepath in the Marvel Universe (she is an Omega Level mutant)

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand