Advertisement

So Um, Superior Spiderman #9

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 882 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Re: So Um, Superior Spiderman #9

Postby outsider » Thu May 02, 2013 8:51 am

Punchy wrote:Comics fans need to be pissed off more, there's nothing worse than giving fanboys what they want.
I agree. Look at the rise & plummeting fall of Geoff Johns's writing. When he first gave fanboys what they wanted, we gobbled it up like fat kids at a sundae bar. Too many Rainbow Lantern sprinkles and cherry-picking characterizations later, and it all just turned to muddled shit.

The writers need to go back to telling the stories they want to tell and not trying to bait the audience with fanwankery.
/soapbox'd

I haven't read Slott's Superior yet, but based on the buzz, it certainly sounds like Slott is telling his own story. I'll probably check it out in trade.
-

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 am

guitarsmashley wrote:At this point I don't think any of this matters and the books only purpose(other than money of course which none of mine goes to) is to just piss people off because they think it will boost readers is it? I mean I'm amazed this ghost peter story has lasted as long as it did. How can Marvel be putting such great books out like Hulk, Thor, Cap(yes fuck you, I said Cap), And the 3 X-men books and then such terrible dreck like this and Age of Ultron.

Because all the books you mention having no worth are built around hype and publicity for stuff happening to characters readers follow regardless of quality of writing--simply because they don't need to be well-written to sell, there's no expectation or regard for anything better and worse, and it's more economical to keep doing what works with as little effort as possible. There's little true art involved.

At least you don't pay for it!

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu May 02, 2013 9:25 am

Zechs wrote:I love Spock. Pete needs a long deserved break.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Because all the books you mention having no worth are built around hype and publicity for stuff happening to characters readers follow regardless of quality of writing--simply because they don't need to be well-written to sell, there's no expectation or regard for anything better and worse, and it's more economical to keep doing what works with as little effort as possible. There's little true art involved.

At least you don't pay for it!

Really? Because any book I read/follow is based on the quality of the story. Yes there are people out there who read X-men because it's X-men but there are huge gaps where I wont read it and well apparently so do a lot of other people because the book is terrible.

And in truth this was the second issue of Superior I read since it was so shocking that it garnered loads of chatter elsewhere.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 02, 2013 9:44 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
Really? Because any book I read/follow is based on the quality of the story. Yes there are people out there who read X-men because it's X-men but there are huge gaps where I wont read it and well apparently so do a lot of other people because the book is terrible.

Well sure, but you already made that distinction between those books like X-Men and the Superior SM/Age Of Ultron-type books in the post I was replying to, and my post clearly addresses the latter as to why there's no need for regard to quality of writing. That's not what sells them in the first place. Books like X-Men or Captain America typically don't have the luxury of blind allegiance of dollars spent that event books or hype books get for some reason. You may not be buying them, but some big ol bunch of people is.

(The only way I'll buy a Marvel or DC book is if I plan to resell it for at least 5x cover price!)

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1086 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 am

Zechs wrote:
No, I actually enjoy the book for what it is. A crazy journey with someone else who's name is not Peter Parker, Ben Reilly, or Miles Morales as Spider-Man. In fact, this reminds me of Jean Paul Valley as Batman, showing us all the wrong reasons why an extreme Spider-Man is wrong.

Also this journey Doc Ock is taking is quite enjoyable. It beats the usual Parker luck and retreads Brand New Day gave us. I almost wish Peter Parker remains dead, since Spock has prove he is SUPERIOR. :P

I was going to say that you got "Slotted", but you made a good argument for your viewpoint.

But I like others here am sick of it. It's been milked long enough, IMO.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 am

outsider wrote:I agree. Look at the rise & plummeting fall of Geoff Johns's writing. When he first gave fanboys what they wanted, we gobbled it up like fat kids at a sundae bar. Too many Rainbow Lantern sprinkles and cherry-picking characterizations later, and it all just turned to muddled shit.

The writers need to go back to telling the stories they want to tell and not trying to bait the audience with fanwankery.
/soapbox'd

I haven't read Slott's Superior yet, but based on the buzz, it certainly sounds like Slott is telling his own story. I'll probably check it out in trade.

Concurred.

Johns writing on Aquaman has been great though. Needed certain things more to it, but otherwise great stuff.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 am

fieldy snuts wrote:anyone that likes remender's cap and hates this needs their heads examined :smt011

All of them, or just the one?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 am

If you’re the kind of person who pays attention to Internet comics outrages, then you’ll now that this comic is this week’s (and yes, there is pretty much one a week these days). Over the last 8 issues it seemed like most fans had kind of come round to liking Superior Spider-Man, or at least accepting it. Doc Ock was in Peter’s body, but Peter’s memories were still hanging around like Obi-Wan and it was only a matter of time until things were back to normal. But they were wrong, in this issue, Ock goes inside his and Peter’s shared brain and gets rid of those memories, effectively killing off Peter Parker all over again. It’s a genius, ballsy move, and one I think is really going to pay off. If anything, this second ‘death’ of Peter hits even harder than the first one, because we were not expecting it like we were in ASM #700.

I love that Slott is not going to rest on his laurels, he’s managing to make Spider-Man unpredictable for the first time in a long time, and I love that. We thought we knew that Peter would find his way back, but now… that shred of hope is gone, where do we go from here? We don’t know, and that’s exciting. But this issue is about more than just the end result of Otto winning out, how Slott and Stegman take us there is very compelling indeed. The battle inside the brain is very well done, and Ryan Stegman does an excellent job of getting across abstract things like memories in a visual way. It was great to see a lot of dead supporting characters and villains show up as memories, and I also really dug the little nod at Stan Lee’s poor memory when Peter can’t remember if his surname is Parker or Palmer (Stan accidentally called him Palmer in a very early issue of Amazing Spidey).

I also found it interesting how Slott made sure to demonstrate both the bad things and the good things that Octavius has accomplished as Spider-Man, how his harder edge actually has some positives. This is a complex story, about more than just a villain pretending to be a hero, it’s about different approaches to heroism, and challenging the old-fashioned moral code that Spider-Man has always had. A true Spider-Man for the 21st century! I have really enjoyed this book so far, and with the gutsy change at the end of this issue, I love it even more, weep all you want Internet, Slott is telling his story, not trying to please you, and it’s working incredibly well.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri May 03, 2013 11:34 am

Punchy wrote:If you’re the kind of person who pays attention to Internet comics outrages, then you’ll now that this comic is this week’s (and yes, there is pretty much one a week these days). Over the last 8 issues it seemed like most fans had kind of come round to liking Superior Spider-Man, or at least accepting it. Doc Ock was in Peter’s body, but Peter’s memories were still hanging around like Obi-Wan and it was only a matter of time until things were back to normal. But they were wrong, in this issue, Ock goes inside his and Peter’s shared brain and gets rid of those memories, effectively killing off Peter Parker all over again. It’s a genius, ballsy move, and one I think is really going to pay off. If anything, this second ‘death’ of Peter hits even harder than the first one, because we were not expecting it like we were in ASM #700.

I love that Slott is not going to rest on his laurels, he’s managing to make Spider-Man unpredictable for the first time in a long time, and I love that. We thought we knew that Peter would find his way back, but now… that shred of hope is gone, where do we go from here? We don’t know, and that’s exciting. But this issue is about more than just the end result of Otto winning out, how Slott and Stegman take us there is very compelling indeed. The battle inside the brain is very well done, and Ryan Stegman does an excellent job of getting across abstract things like memories in a visual way. It was great to see a lot of dead supporting characters and villains show up as memories, and I also really dug the little nod at Stan Lee’s poor memory when Peter can’t remember if his surname is Parker or Palmer (Stan accidentally called him Palmer in a very early issue of Amazing Spidey).

I also found it interesting how Slott made sure to demonstrate both the bad things and the good things that Octavius has accomplished as Spider-Man, how his harder edge actually has some positives. This is a complex story, about more than just a villain pretending to be a hero, it’s about different approaches to heroism, and challenging the old-fashioned moral code that Spider-Man has always had. A true Spider-Man for the 21st century! I have really enjoyed this book so far, and with the gutsy change at the end of this issue, I love it even more, weep all you want Internet, Slott is telling his story, not trying to please you, and it’s working incredibly well.

Pity he can't do both.

Also, a Spider-Man for the 21st century?

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 302 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Didn't they say at one of the con's that 2099 will be appearing soon?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Didn't they say at one of the con's that 2099 will be appearing soon?

Yeah in ten issues from now right?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1241 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 pm

The thing about Superior Spider-Man is, it simply isn't a story that I want to read. :smt102

I was reading Amazing Spider-Man from Spider-Island all the way to the end and I picked up the first two issues of Superior Spider-Man. I kept an open mind as long as I could but like I said, it just wasn't the type of Spider-Man story that I want to read. After dropping Superior Spider-Man I have flipped through the issues on the stand when I go in to buy my books but nothing about the series has screamed "Hey, buy this. You'll be pleasantly surprised." I don't buy a Spider-Man comic because I want to read about Doctor Octopus, I buy Spider-Man comics because I want to read about Spider-Man and/or Peter Parker. Each issue seems to want to beat the point that Doctor Octopus is supposed to be "superior" into the reader's mind and this last issue was just too much.

When Peter comes back and is finally in control of his own body, I will definitely come back too but $3.99 an issue to watch Doctor Octopus ruin Peter Parker's life without Peter being able to do anything about it is absolutely ridiculous.

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:2) Did it seem unnecessarily cruel to anyone else that Peter was made to forget Uncle Ben?

100% agree. It absolutely was unnecessarily cruel but then again, we know that Slott wants to piss people off with this run, so we shouldn't be surprised when crap like this happens.
ImageImageImage

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 302 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri May 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Grayson wrote: I don't buy a Spider-Man comic because I want to read about Doctor Octopus, I buy Spider-Man comics because I want to read about Spider-Man and/or Peter Parker.

That's the whole point of this though?

After a year or so of Ock we're going to get the return of Peter Parker hyped to infinity.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1241 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 12:56 am

fieldy snuts wrote:That's the whole point of this though?

I thought the point was to get readers to continue reading the comic books that they are publishing. If they piss the fans off and then actively try to piss them off again, I would say that they aren't really doing a good job.

After a year or so of Ock we're going to get the return of Peter Parker hyped to infinity.

I don't think that anybody is really questioning whether or not Peter Parker will be back. We all know that he will be back but like I said, I want to read stories about Peter Parker as Spider-Man. Hell, I wouldn't mind reading stories about Miguel O'Hara, Harry Osborne, or even Eddie Brock as Spider-Man. I just don't want to read about Doctor Octavius running around in Peter's body, ruining Peter's life, while none of Peter's friends or family know that he is "dead." At the end of the day I just feel that Peter Parker, the character, deserves better than that.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand