Advertisement

Swamp Thing #20 (As human as we want to be Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Swamp Thing #20 (As human as we want to be Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:02 pm

This was a very good issue of Swamp Thing, and one which made me think that, given the mess the Superman family of books are in, they could do worse than give Charles Soule the reigns of Action Comics. This story guest-starred Superman, and for me, Soule wrote the character really well, and had him use his powers in some pretty cool ways, such as bouncing his heat vision off of the Daily Planet globe to save people from far away, that was a great moment.

Of course, this is not a Superman book, what’s important here is Swamp Thing, and Soule does a good job with him too. After being gassed by the Scarecrow, we spend a lot of the issue inside the mind of Alec Holland, and we get to see his fears, about how he made the wrong choice to fully become Swamp Thing at the end of Rotworld. These were very effective, creepy sequences and I think Soule has got a very strong handle on the dichotomy between man and monster. In the last issue with Swamp Thing, the character was struggling between protecting the plant world but in doing so harming humans, in this issue he talks to Superman about how to stay human, and it’s intriguing stuff. I’m very interested to see how Swamp Thing continues to walk that line. The ending was cool too, I wonder if this mysterious woman is the person who building all of the Oases that Swamp Thing had to destroy last issue?

Kano’s artwork was very good in this book too, not especially flashy, but very effective. Luckily, I think the best thing he draws is Swamp Thing, which is a big plus, that famous face has rarely looked more tragic and ugly whilst still being human.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Swamp Thing #20 (As human as we want to be Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm

I didn't hate this issue, but I had a couple of problems with it. I thought Superman was more of a focus than Swamp Thing and that shouldn't happen. This is Alec Holland's book, not Superman's. I also thought that this story could have and probably should have been told in one single issue and not two.

Overall though, I didn't mind it. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to continue buying this series. I am going to give it a few more issues.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand