Advertisement

Mental health issues in vegas DON'T stay in vegas

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Mental health issues in vegas DON'T stay in vegas

Postby Mr. Log » Fri May 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Nice job, Nevadans :smt011

Nevada accused of 'patient dumping' after hospital puts schizophrenic man, 48, on a bus to California and tells him to call 911 when he gets there

A man diagnosed with schizophrenia has described how staff at a Nevada mental health hospital put him on a bus to California with little medication and food and told him to call 911 when he got there.

James Brown, 48, received treatment at Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital in Las Vegas last year after suffering from depression and contemplating suicide but was discharged after just three days.

His startling case has revealed the state's alleged practice of 'patient dumping', with records showing Nevada has bought 1,500 bus tickets since 2008 - sending some mentally ill patients to places they have never been before and where they know no one.

For Brown, who had wanted to stay in Nevada, the experience was petrifying.

Just days after checking into the hospital in February 2012, doctors felt Brown was ready to leave and they asked him where he wanted to move, he said.

'I said, "I don't want to leave Nevada",' Brown recounted. 'He said, "California sounds like a really nice state. I think you'll be happy there".'

But doctors insisted he would get better mental health care in Sacramento, even though he had never been and was not given any information about the city.

The only good thing I can say about this is is: thank god it wasn't Florida this time.

Advertisement

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Re: Mental health issues in vegas DON'T stay in vegas

Postby Chesscub » Fri May 03, 2013 2:23 pm

I guess he doesn't feel good. Duh nuh duh nuh duh nuh duh.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri May 03, 2013 2:24 pm

It's sad that these hospitals can get away with treating their patients like that. This guy was a threat to himself and they treated him like garbage to throw away.

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Fri May 03, 2013 2:24 pm

I wonder how the guy is doing.

California is pretty nice and laid back.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 91 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm

They gutted the mental health system here years ago. It was broke even at the height of the housing bubble. They built the institution to help ease the burden off of the area ERs which were full of mental patients. Only 300 beds, in a place that just hit the 2 million mark in population. It's a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

But hey new city hall and justice center. New digs for the PD. But don't come here if you're gay and want to get married by Elvis. Or to smoke pot. You can shoot black bears by Tahoe. We have priorities after all.

LOOK, MOB MUSEUM!!

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri May 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Kaiser (If I remember) was doing this in LA about ten years ago. Driving patients who couldn't pay out to Skid Row and dropping them off... in their hospital gowns.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum