Advertisement

Hawkeye #10 (Joe-Cool-Guy Exit Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Hawkeye #10 (Joe-Cool-Guy Exit Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 am

Marvel’s coolest title continues with a look into the origin of the mysterious Clown who showed up at the end of last issue and shockingly killed poor Grills. We discover that he was the child of Circus owners in Eastern Europe somewhere, who, when his parents were killed due to some War or another, was rescued by the Tracksuit Draculas (bro) and inducted into a life of crime.

It’s a fairly simple origin, with plenty of tragedy behind it (not only dead parents, but his brother too), and it looks like this guy is going to be a great villain. Along with the origin flashbacks, we see The Clown in flirtatious conversation with Kate Bishop at one of her father’s fancy parties. Not only is this a very interesting conversation filled with insights about how Kate views her life as Hawkeye and as a superhero, but also how someone from Old Europe views the crazy new world of New York City, how it’s a city that doesn’t really appreciate it’s history, it’s always moving forward, unlike many other places around the world.

And then to top it all off, we see Grills get killed again! Not cool Fraction, not cool. The artwork for his issue comes from Francesco Francavilla, who is normally one of my favourites, but his work here was some way below his usual standards, and seemed rather rushed. It was still good, and fits very nicely with the style of this book, but it was not his best work, which is a shame.

Advertisement

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Re: Hawkeye #10 (Joe-Cool-Guy Exit Spoilers)

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Punchy wrote: The artwork for his issue comes from Francesco Francavilla, who is normally one of my favourites, but his work here was some way below his usual standards, and seemed rather rushed. It was still good, and fits very nicely with the style of this book, but it was not his best work, which is a shame.

Really? I thought his layouts were fantastic. Look at that page where Kate's talking about the history of New York City - Francavilla overlays historic postcards onto a Manhattan map showing an actual grid.

Here's some violent and terrifying images that he produces:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1037 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri May 03, 2013 2:28 pm

I really liked Francavilla's work on this issue. :smt102

The story itself was pretty intriguing. The Clown's back story was simple, tragic, and got straight to the point connecting nicely with the Tracksuit Draculas. His interaction with Kate was very interesting as well, especially since we know that this guy has no problem striking out against people that Clint knows or is associated with.

If I had a complaint about this issue it was the fact that it didn't really do anything to move the story along. It ended literally at the exact same moment that the last issue ended. It's not a major complaint or anything, we did get some new information that we didn't know before and the issue kept me interested the entire way through...but did they really have to show us the Clown killing poor Grills all over again? :-(

Ok...so maybe I had two complaints... :P
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
Really? I thought his layouts were fantastic. Look at that page where Kate's talking about the history of New York City - Francavilla overlays historic postcards onto a Manhattan map showing an actual grid.

Here's some violent and terrifying images that he produces:

The layouts were very good, but the actual art inside those panels looked rough and sketchy to me.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri May 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Grayson wrote:...but did they really have to show us the Clown killing poor Grills all over again? :-(

Ok...so maybe I had two complaints... :P

I was expecting Punchy to name his thread this:
Hawkeye #10 (Fraction keeps killing Grills Spoilers) :P

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
I was expecting Punchy to name his thread this:
Hawkeye #10 (Fraction keeps killing Grills Spoilers) :P

I mostly like to use direct quotes these days, but that would have been a good one!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue May 07, 2013 8:34 pm

I agree that the overall plot didn't move very much which wasn't all that great to see. However, as an origin story, this issue was actually fun to read. I understand the Clown at this point and knowing how he got to where he is now makes him an even more interesting character.

In the grand scheme of things I really have no complaints about this issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand