Advertisement

Action Comics #20 (Just dandy Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Action Comics #20 (Just dandy Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 03, 2013 1:59 pm

My feelings about this issue are much the same as my ones for #19, this is a decent enough comic, but given the abortive nature of Andy Diggle’s tenure on the title, it’s kind of pointless. I actually read this issue more closely than I normally would in an attempt to pin-point what was written by Diggle and what was by Daniel, but I couldn’t really spot anything. As I said, the comic itself is good, we see Superman fight the strange ‘Hybrid’ that Lex Luthor has created, and discover that this whole thing is a plot by Luthor so he can save the day and be seen as the hero, which is just classic Lex really. We haven’t seen much of him in the New 52, but it’s good to see he’s still the same bastard.

Is this the first appearance of Dr. Shay Veritas? Or has she appeared before? I certainly am not familiar with her, but my Superman knowledge is not complete. The best thing about this main story, what with all of the writing kerfuffles, is that the artwork by Tony Daniel is great, this is probably my favourite stuff from him since he worked with Johns on Teen Titans a few years ago.

The back-up story from Lobdell and Philip Tan was actually pretty interesting, we get to see a young Jor-El and Lara, and there are a few interesting little continuity bits, like the fact that Lara was originally Jor-El’s bodyguard and was engaged to Jax-Ur (a Phantom Zone criminal) before she married him. Is the guy who shoots the Science Council dude at the end supposed to be Zod? He’s referred to as Colonel rather than General, so who knows?

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 198 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Action Comics #20 (Just dandy Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:12 pm

No sure about pre-reboot but Dr Veritas has been part of the Superman titles since "H'El On Earth".
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand