Advertisement

Aquaman #19 (Lack of perspective Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Aquaman #19 (Lack of perspective Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Maybe I was distracted by the wasp that was buzzing around my room as I read this, but I found this issue of Aquaman to be really disjointed. Johns tries to accomplish a lot in this issue, and a lot of stuff happens, but I felt like each plot detail wasn’t given enough room to really sink in (no pun intended). The search for ‘The Scavenger’ continues, and there’s also Orm in prison, and the conspiracy to return him to the throne. Johns introduces a new character who of course has a mystery behind him and then you’ve got the original King Of Atlantis who attacks Mera. Mera escapes, but she somehow gets to wherever it is she comes from (isn’t it an alternate dimension?) and runs into some guy who claims to be her husband. It’s all too much!

Oh, and in yet another attempt to make Aquaman bad-ass rather than goofy, Johns introduces a new version of Topo the Octopus, who is now a massive cthulhu monster rather than just an octopus. Most of the developments in this issue are interesting when taken on their own merits, but I just feel like they should not have all been in the same issue. Maybe I’m crazy, I dunno.

Advertisement

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: Aquaman #19 (Lack of perspective Spoilers)

Postby Herald » Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Punchy wrote:wherever it is she comes from (isn’t it an alternate dimension?)

It was in the REAL DC Universe. In the DCnU, it's probably 2 feet away from Atlantis. Image

Oh, and in yet another attempt to make Aquaman bad-ass rather than goofy, Johns introduces a new version of Topo the Octopus, who is now a massive cthulhu monster rather than just an octopus.

Did it look anything like in the picture at this link?? I call RIPOFF!

In any case, sounds like more of Geoff trying too hard...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 975 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri May 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Honestly, I feel that the Throne of Atlantis crossover with Justice League sorta took some of the wind out of Aquaman's sails. The past 2 issues of this series just haven't been as good as they were prior to the ToA crossover. Where this was once consistently one of the titles that I looked forward to the most each month, it is now a title that I am sadly considering dropping.

Herald wrote:Did it look anything like in the picture at this link?? I call RIPOFF!

No, it really didn't.
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 325 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Re-read the pages where the Ice King tries to sink that ship. He explains how the Bermuda Triangle dimensional barrier works. Mera then caused a water-spout to shoot up through the boat to distract him, then she swims (through the barrier) to her home dimension.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri May 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Grayson wrote:Honestly, I feel that the Throne of Atlantis crossover with Justice League sorta took some of the wind out of Aquaman's sails. The past 2 issues of this series just haven't been as good as they were prior to the ToA crossover. Where this was once consistently one of the titles that I looked forward to the most each month, it is now a title that I am sadly considering dropping.

Herald wrote:Did it look anything like in the picture at this link?? I call RIPOFF!

Grayson wrote:No, it really didn't.

The new Topo is much better looking than the creature shown at Herald's link :-D

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Fancy coloring will do that. :P

The bottom line remains: Where did Geoff get the IDEA from??
Very suspicious...

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 549 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri May 03, 2013 4:47 pm

I felt like the inclusion of the Ice King dude was just so DC could have their WTF moment from the cover.

Feels like more than a few books are doing that. :(

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri May 03, 2013 6:01 pm

I think Punch hit the nail on the head with one word he used to describe this issue: Disjointed.

I think Johns, with Trinity War coming up and the launch of Justice League of America as well as the wrap-up of his Green Lantern run, has been overextended for a few months. It has shown in the past couple of issues of Aquaman, where he's just wildly seeding and seeding and seeding plots but not really doing what made this book a good read in the first place: Focusing on Aquaman.

I don't give a shit about Atlantean intrigue. I know that's part of the deal, but you'd think Johns realized by now that that is the death of the character -- nobody can relate to that shit. Introducing a ton of new characters into a book with a lead character that, to be blunt, can easily struggle when not given clear action and thought sequences...

Come on, Johns. We get that you're busy, man. But Aquaman is not a book that you can just dip your toe in -- the lead character needs to be the focus. Otherwise, this relaunch will fade away like so many other Aquaman books have done.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand