Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BAMJoe
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby BAMJoe » Thu May 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah, the guy at the used book store told me they're going to have some dirt cheap Marvel HCs on Saturday. I figured it'd be all that remained warehouse clearance stuff.

What store is that, Keb? Any idea of what specific books? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 433 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu May 02, 2013 7:41 pm

BAMJoe wrote:
What store is that, Keb? Any idea of what specific books? Thanks.

BMV Books in Toronto. Its a small city-wide used book store chain.

Are you looking for anything specific?

BAMJoe
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post

Postby BAMJoe » Thu May 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Keb wrote:BMV Books in Toronto. Its a small city-wide used book store chain.

Are you looking for anything specific?

Oh, I don't know why I thought you were from the Chicago land area.
I am just trying to catch up on the last 10 years of Marvel, so anything interesting. If it was a store in Chicago I would have stopped by.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri May 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Keb wrote:Joe the Barbarian by Grant Morrison & Sean Murphy

It took me forever to get around to reading this but I did it in a couple hours. I kind of saw it as quite possibly the last Morrison work I'd read before calling it quits with him. I really haven't enjoyed much since Seven Soldiers. So anyway, procrastination aside, I really went into this with expectations that were set very low. Unfortunately, those expectations weren't met until about the 4th issue/chapter. I found the story really dragged on and on and nothing significant happened. By the time Jack disappeared, I started to lose interest. While I'm usually a sucker for symbolism and this book is ripe with it, I found it kind of strange that I had no idea to really go and pull the symbols. In many ways, maybe because I felt sorry for Joe as he existed in the real world, I wanted some resolve (as in, please don't die). As a result, I sped through the richness of the fantasy world. I picked up on the major pieces and did pick up on the overarching theme of patriarchal death. The one thing I did not appreciate and thought was very stale about the story was the prototypical bullying by the bigger "punk rock" kids. It just felt like an old fashioned plot device that was cookie-cuttered into the story. Had the real life story pushed boundaries the way the fantasy story did, I might have really enjoyed this. The fantasy story is what saves it. I believe Sean Murphy is a very talented artist and he does a fantastic job with the book and we get some creative greatness from him (and Grant). However, the art felt a bit restrained. In other Morrison works where the artist is allowed to get "bizarre" (like Doom Patrol), we see some very fantastic things drawn but I didn't feel that was the case with Joe the Barbarian. The colors, while remaining in line with the darkness of the story, don't do the artwork any favors and there's something about Murphy's line work that sometimes bothers me. It just makes me uneasy. Add that to the pacing of the story, which could have used some work, I really had trouble getting into this. Maybe another read some time down the line might help. However, even with all these criticisms, I'd still give Joe the Barbarian to someone looking to get into non-superhero comics.

Sean Murphy is such a brilliant artist. Did you read his Punk Rock Jesus?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1464 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri May 03, 2013 6:28 pm

I don't have anything to read at the moment...I mean, I could start the third Geoff Johns/Flash Omnibus but after reading New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, and the three Chew Omnivore Editions, I kinda want something smaller to read for a change. Any suggestions?
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat May 04, 2013 12:26 am

Grayson wrote:I don't have anything to read at the moment...I mean, I could start the third Geoff Johns/Flash Omnibus but after reading New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, and the three Chew Omnivore Editions, I kinda want something smaller to read for a change. Any suggestions?

There's like 500 pages of reviews in this thread!

Did you ever find that Kirby Captain America stuff?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 12:45 am

Keb wrote:There's like 500 pages of reviews in this thread!

I'm lazy and I didn't know if anybody was reading anything new... :oops:

Did you ever find that Kirby Captain America stuff?

Not yet, I'm about to break down and order it on-line.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat May 04, 2013 1:54 am

Are you gonna get the omnibus?

I don't know how you guys read these things. They're so heavy. I'm gonna read the Byrne one at the table. That will make it easier when I color Johnny storm brown.

Edit: also forgot to complain about my x-men fall of the mutants v1 being damaged in the mail. I wonder if the pickers notice it's damaged before they pack it. I got 3 trades and a hc in this lot. Only that one book was damaged. Couldn't have been damaged by the postal service.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Keb wrote:Are you gonna get the omnibus?

I don't know. Like I said, I just finished both the New and Astonishing X-Men Omnibuses plus the three Chew books, so I didn't really want to start another large book this time around.

I don't know how you guys read these things. They're so heavy. I'm gonna read the Byrne one at the table.

I have a nice recliner that I sit in while reading these books. I just place the dust jacket to the side and prop the book on my lap. It's a little difficult to read several issues at one time though, so I have to take breaks every now and then.

That will make it easier when I color Johnny storm brown.

:lol:

Edit: also forgot to complain about my x-men fall of the mutants v1 being damaged in the mail. I wonder if the pickers notice it's damaged before they pack it. I got 3 trades and a hc in this lot. Only that one book was damaged. Couldn't have been damaged by the postal service.

To be honest with you, I don't really think that they care most of the time. They just toss the book in the box and send it on it's way. If it's damaged, they probably assume that most people won't want to take the time to return it and if they do, it would be difficult to point the finger at one specific person so why should they care. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat May 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Grayson wrote:
I don't know. Like I said, I just finished both the New and Astonishing X-Men Omnibuses plus the three Chew books, so I didn't really want to start another large book this time around.

I have a nice recliner that I sit in while reading these books. I just place the dust jacket to the side and prop the book on my lap. It's a little difficult to read several issues at one time though, so I have to take breaks every now and then.

:lol:

To be honest with you, I don't really think that they care most of the time. They just toss the book in the box and send it on it's way. If it's damaged, they probably assume that most people won't want to take the time to return it and if they do, it would be difficult to point the finger at one specific person so why should they care. :smt102

Yeah I returned it with no questions asked. Then I made a Ricky Martin joke and we all laughed. It was harmonious!

Have you tried Elephantmen or Hack/Slash from Image?

Why not try the first Sandman trade?

If you do plan on tracking down the Kirby Cap, try going for the paperbacks. I got all three for like $8 a piece. Much cheaper than the omnibus.

I wish I had a recliner. I tried reading on a chez lounger or whatever the fuck it's call and ended up just lying down and then I started falling asleep. Then I tried reading on the balcony in a muskoka chair and that was really uncomfortable.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat May 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Grayson wrote:

Poor books. This must be the most depressing post I've read in this thread.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 04, 2013 6:40 pm

If you're talking about Amazon, their working conditions have been written about, and those workers are given very little time to traffic huge warehouses and process those orders. Like robotically little time. So no, they aren't thinking of you at all as they aren't given the time to think about anything really.

So, poor people actually, you weirdos.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat May 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:If you're talking about Amazon, their working conditions have been written about, and those workers are given very little time to traffic huge warehouses and process those orders. Like robotically little time. So no, they aren't thinking of you at all as they aren't given the time to think about anything really.

I hope you are not calling me a weirdo.

Besides, I rarely buy stuff from Amazon. I'm a DCBS guy.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat May 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:If you're talking about Amazon, their working conditions have been written about, and those workers are given very little time to traffic huge warehouses and process those orders. Like robotically little time. So no, they aren't thinking of you at all as they aren't given the time to think about anything really.

I have an old high school friend who works at the Amazon.ca warehouse. He's been there for like 10 years almost. He always complains about how poorly they're treated.

This one is Indigo books, a Canadian company. I'm pretty sure their distribution centre is just like Amazon's. I just want to believe that because they're a smaller, Canadian company, they care more.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Keb wrote:I have an old high school friend who works at the Amazon.ca warehouse. He's been there for like 10 years almost. He always complains about how poorly they're treated.

This one is Indigo books, a Canadian company. I'm pretty sure their distribution centre is just like Amazon's. I just want to believe that because they're a smaller, Canadian company, they care more.

He's been working there for 10 years? I would have quit after 10 days.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand