Advertisement

So Um, Superior Spiderman #9

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: So Um, Superior Spiderman #9

Postby Punchy » Sat May 04, 2013 2:37 am

Grayson, you said you read it for Spider-Man and/or Peter Parker.

Or.

Doctor Octopus is Spider-Man now, so you're still getting plenty of one half!

:P

Advertisement

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat May 04, 2013 7:33 am

If you want a good Spidey book, read Scarlet Spider. Between that and Venom, all the good Spidey stories are not in a Spider-man title.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat May 04, 2013 9:54 am

Venom has been terrible since Remender left. I like The Sixth gun but Bunn just can't find his stride in mainstream Marvel.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 am

Grayson wrote:
I thought the point was to get readers to continue reading the comic books that they are publishing. If they piss the fans off and then actively try to piss them off again, I would say that they aren't really doing a good job.

I don't think that anybody is really questioning whether or not Peter Parker will be back. We all know that he will be back but like I said, I want to read stories about Peter Parker as Spider-Man. Hell, I wouldn't mind reading stories about Miguel O'Hara, Harry Osborne, or even Eddie Brock as Spider-Man. I just don't want to read about Doctor Octavius running around in Peter's body, ruining Peter's life, while none of Peter's friends or family know that he is "dead." At the end of the day I just feel that Peter Parker, the character, deserves better than that.

Spot on. This, exactly.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sat May 04, 2013 10:17 am

Yeah, I don't get all the hate for this storyline, I find it quite enjoyable. :smt102

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 401 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat May 04, 2013 10:35 am

*Waits for Dan Slott to post, stating that Marvel has now blacklisted the OH for this thread.*
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat May 04, 2013 10:55 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:*Waits for Dan Slott to post, stating that Marvel has now blacklisted the OH for this thread.*

No, what will happen is this: Slott will try to seduce Rockman's mom; meanwhile Stephen Wacker will rill up his sleeves and offer us all outside for a beatdown, but when we get there Mark Waid will be waiting in his place.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 401 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 am

nietoperz wrote:
No, what will happen is this: Slott will try to seduce Rockman's mom; meanwhile Stephen Wacker will rill up his sleeves and offer us all outside for a beatdown, but when we get there Mark Waid will be waiting in his place.

Rockman's mom gets a lot of Slotting.... :shock:

Better it be Waid then Jim Shooter. Shooter has the high ground... sort of.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 420 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Sat May 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Does Wacker post here, too? I love his battles against DarthEwok at BC.
-

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 625 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Punchy wrote:Grayson, you said you read it for Spider-Man and/or Peter Parker.

Or.

Doctor Octopus is Spider-Man now, so you're still getting plenty of one half!

:P

:smt013 :smt011

That's not what I mean and you know it!
ImageImageImage

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sat May 04, 2013 2:16 pm

If you don't want to read about bad things happening to Peter Parker, I'd suggest avoiding comics with "Spider-Man" written on the cover. He'll bounce back out of this and his loved ones will understand and I bet that when he manages to get his body back he won't let Otto die because that's the kind of man he is. He takes whatever beatings life throws at him and keeps going. This is the worst he's ever been beaten but I don't doubt for a second Peter will come back and save himself and whoever Doc Ock gets into this mess with him.

Norman Osborn is no longer the head of HAMMER and Mutants are popping up all over the shop again. Things change, and then they change back. Judge the comic on the quality of the writing or the art (both good not great) and if you're having this kind of emotional response that's probably a good thing.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 04, 2013 2:25 pm

The thing is, even if you piss most fans off, they'll still be buying it, and you'll probably get a better, more challenging story out of it.

A lot of the best and most important stories in superhero comics history (I'm not saying that SSM is one one of the best, before you start) have pissed people off. The death of Jean Grey, the death of Gwen Stacy, the Judas Contract, Crisis On Infinite Earths, Man Of Steel, Civil War and many more.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 625 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Zero wrote:If you don't want to read about bad things happening to Peter Parker, I'd suggest avoiding comics with "Spider-Man" written on the cover.

But that's the problem with this story. It's not a story about bad things happening to Peter Parker. I'm fine with that type of story, although I also love reading stories where good things happen to Peter Parker too. It's a story about Otto Octavius doing bad things while people think he is Peter Parker. It's not a Peter Parker Spider-Man story, it's an Otto Octavius story and I don't have any desire to read that story on a monthly basis as a substitute for an actual Spider-Man story.

He'll bounce back out of this and his loved ones will understand and I bet that when he manages to get his body back he won't let Otto die because that's the kind of man he is. He takes whatever beatings life throws at him and keeps going.

And when he bounces back and gets his own body back, I will probably be there to read it. Like I said, I just don't want to pay $3.99 per issue to read about Doctor Octavius running around in Peter's body, ruining Peter's life, while none of Peter's friends or family know that he is "dead." Doing things like making Peter forget about Uncle Ben? That's not good storytelling that's just throwing everything, including the kitchen sink, at the character because you can do it not because you should. It's not a story that I, as a Spider-Man fan, want to read about.

Norman Osborn is no longer the head of HAMMER and Mutants are popping up all over the shop again. Things change, and then they change back. Judge the comic on the quality of the writing or the art (both good not great) and if you're having this kind of emotional response that's probably a good thing.

I have judged the comic on the quality of the writing. The idea of the story is intriguing, I'll give you and Dan Slott that but there isn't enough meat to the story to keep me compelled by what is happening between the moment that Otto took over Peter's body and the moment where Peter finally regains full control. To me, this isn't good storytelling. This is simply one stunt after another, to keep people coming back to see what other tricks Slott will pull to piss people off next.
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat May 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Dan Slott is a cool guy, on this very forum I asked him to bring back cardiac and he did.

Cool in my book.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 129 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat May 04, 2013 4:16 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Dan Slott is a cool guy, on this very forum I asked him to bring back cardiac and he did.

Cool in my book.

Plus he brought back the original Hobgoblin. :-D

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand