Advertisement

Beer thread!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 277 posts

Re: Beer thread!

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 05, 2013 8:34 am

It saddened me to see your descent into SF Holster-hood has progressed so far, that you would consider PBR tolerable. Have you started wearing glasses with no lenses, or begun buying Skinny jeans? :)

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun May 05, 2013 9:49 am

Wide leg jeans ARE skinny jeans for Jude.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 182 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 am

DoctorStupid wrote:I was so mad...I went to Sam's Club to get some of this...

...but they had swapped it out the day before for another seasonal! Ruthless is an AMAZING beer if you haven't tried it. Oh well...I got this instead, which is excellent, but still not as good.

It really is good...definitely worth picking up. Very crisp and easy to drink which makes it a great summer/spring beer, but at the same time it has a lot of flavor. Just drank one before posting this!

For those interested...a note about beer serving temperature:
No beer is really meant to be served warm. More like red wine temperature which is around ~50-55 F. There is a very good reason for this. With any drink, the warmer it is, the more flavor you pick up. This is why incredibly cheap lagers made with fillers and chemicals like bud Light need to be served as cold as humanly possible...because you don't want to taste it. Have you ever had a warm Bud Light? It's the most awful flavor on earth. Styles that tend to bee sweeter and malt forward like stouts, porters, dopplebocks, etc have a huge flavor profile and they tend to be very complex. By serving them at typical beer temperature in a frosted glass, you are really muting out most of the flavor the brewer intended for you to taste.

Do an experiment and pour two glasses of stout. Put one in the freezer for 30 minutes and leave the other one out on the counter. Taste them side by side and see how massive the difference in flavor is. This is the very reason red wines are not to be served ice cold...the wine becomes boring and so much flavor is just lost. This is also why really hardcore whiskey drinkers say bourbon on the rocks is for wusses and the only way to drink it is neat. If you do the above experiment with bourbon...ha ha ha...there is no way you will ever question what I'm describing again.\

ANYWAY...bringing it back full circle...the reason everyone always says that the British serve warm beer is because most of the classic English styles are darker malty beers, and they are not served warm...they just seem warm to the average American because we're used to frosted glasses filled with flavorless swill. Keb, it's possible that the bar in Dublin you visited catered to Americans, or perhaps the bar owners just didn't know how to properly serve their beer (yes, it's true....just like in the US there are plenty of people who have no idea what they're doing in Ireland...or anywhere else for that matter).

Yes, the brewery in Dublin served it up to me at room temp. As did all the pubs in England and Ireland where I had it Over here, they refrigerate it. I'm not sure if it just doesn't travel well, or the refrigeration damages it, but all the Guinness I've had here tasted like sewer water in comparison, even when I let it go to room temp.

Slightly off-topic, had anyone here tried Japanese whiskey? I've started seeing it in my local liquor super-stores, and I'm wondering if I should try it---and if so, what kind, keeping in mind I don't want to spend like crazy just to sample one. My favs in that respect are in order, a good single malt scotch, Bushmills, and Jack, or possibly a good Kentucky bourbon. Canadian whiskey is like the Prius of whiskies. Bland, not potent, and not worth the effort---at least the stuff I've tried.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 767 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 05, 2013 11:38 am

Lord Simian wrote:It saddened me to see your descent into SF Holster-hood has progressed so far, that you would consider PBR tolerable. Have you started wearing glasses with no lenses, or begun buying Skinny jeans? :)

I consider it in the tier of tolerability with a Bud or a Coors or a Miller, but it is easily $5 cheaper for a 12 pack. I would consider it above the undrinkable tier, which consists of things like Natty Ice or Icehouse or Milwaukee's Best, and which is even cheaper. If I had to choose a beer from the PBR tier that I preferred on taste, it would be MGD probably, but like I said, the goal is usually cheapest tolerable.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun May 05, 2013 11:46 am

When did you guys go? I was there in 2008.

That shit was cold. Not ice cold but still cold. They even told us on the tour that it should be served cold. It even said on the bottle "serve extra cold".

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby achilles » Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Keb wrote:When did you guys go? I was there in 2008.

That shit was cold. Not ice cold but still cold. They even told us on the tour that it should be served cold. It even said on the bottle "serve extra cold".

Did you get the stout? It was a while ago for me.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 196 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun May 05, 2013 4:13 pm

I've never had a room temperature Guinness in a British pub. Weird.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun May 05, 2013 5:58 pm

nietoperz wrote:I've never had a room temperature Guinness in a British pub. Weird.

Obviously the British pubs you frequented were not British enough.

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Liked in: 0 post
Title: PHD in idiot.

Postby DoctorStupid » Mon May 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Very nice! Shiner is a nice Texas brewery. Look around for some of their other stuff. The bock is actually my least favorite (although it's the most popular by far), so if you liked it you will probably like their other brews even more.

If even one person tries something new because of this thread, then I have done my job! *cue inspirational music*
-Dr. Stupid

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby achilles » Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Looking at a beer website, I see stout can be served anywhere from 45 degrees, (described as "cool", to 60 degrees, described as "warm").

I suspect different places serve at different temps. I wonder though why Guinness doesn't seem to travel well. It certainly never has tasted as good here as it does over there. I will note that at my local stores at least, (well, the grocery stores), it's stored in the fridge section with the lagers, which are supposed to be stored colder than stout.

But maybe it's just all the travel itself that messes it up.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Liked in: 0 post
Title: PHD in idiot.

Postby DoctorStupid » Mon May 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Well one of the things that I have read is that there are slightly different recipes for Guinness depending on where you live. The US has their own version of the recipe, and there is a major Guinness brewery in Jamaica that services South America and they have a different one too. A few years ago we started getting Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the US, and if I'm not mistaken, that's the "Jamaican" version. I think Guinness in Europe is different, and I've even been told that Guinness in Dublin, specifically, is different than even other parts of Ireland. That I suspect, if true, has to be more of a freshness thing than anything else. I can definitely attest that some styles of beer have a pretty noticeable change in flavor about a week after they are brewed, but it's typically unfiltered and unpasteurized beer where that's most true.

See if you can find the Foreign Extra Achilles...I'd love to see how it compares to Guinness in Ireland (which I've never had). It's very easy to find here in Florida.

-Dr. Stupid

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby achilles » Mon May 06, 2013 3:09 pm

DoctorStupid wrote:Well one of the things that I have read is that there are slightly different recipes for Guinness depending on where you live. The US has their own version of the recipe, and there is a major Guinness brewery in Jamaica that services South America and they have a different one too. A few years ago we started getting Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the US, and if I'm not mistaken, that's the "Jamaican" version. I think Guinness in Europe is different, and I've even been told that Guinness in Dublin, specifically, is different than even other parts of Ireland. That I suspect, if true, has to be more of a freshness thing than anything else. I can definitely attest that some styles of beer have a pretty noticeable change in flavor about a week after they are brewed, but it's typically unfiltered and unpasteurized beer where that's most true.

See if you can find the Foreign Extra Achilles...I'd love to see how it compares to Guinness in Ireland (which I've never had). It's very easy to find here in Florida.

Very interesting. I'll definitely try to find that. I've been wanting to duplicate that Dublin experience since I had it. It was just a great stout.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon May 06, 2013 4:51 pm

achilles wrote:Looking at a beer website, I see stout can be served anywhere from 45 degrees, (described as "cool", to 60 degrees, described as "warm").

I suspect different places serve at different temps. I wonder though why Guinness doesn't seem to travel well. It certainly never has tasted as good here as it does over there. I will note that at my local stores at least, (well, the grocery stores), it's stored in the fridge section with the lagers, which are supposed to be stored colder than stout.

But maybe it's just all the travel itself that messes it up.

Guinness brewed in Dublin blends with all the pollution in the River LIffey and tastes better :P

It could be that the beer is brewed at a different brewery in a different country. Sometimes it's imported, sometimes it's brewed at home. For example, Carlsberg beer here is brewed at the Molson brewery, so it tastes different from the Carlsberg brewed in Denmark.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby achilles » Mon May 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Keb wrote:Guinness brewed in Dublin blends with all the pollution in the River LIffey and tastes better :P

It could be that the beer is brewed at a different brewery in a different country. Sometimes it's imported, sometimes it's brewed at home. For example, Carlsberg beer here is brewed at the Molson brewery, so it tastes different from the Carlsberg brewed in Denmark.

Tasty pollution! :lol: But yeah, I guess that's it. I wonder why they brew it differently? I would have thought that building a single brand experience would be the goal... :smt102

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm

achilles wrote:
Tasty pollution! :lol: But yeah, I guess that's it. I wonder why they brew it differently? I would have thought that building a single brand experience would be the goal... :smt102

Differences in water quality, ingredients, etc.

Another example, I just remembered, when I was a kid, there was a big hype because this British Columbian beer Kokanee came to Ontario. Their big thing is that it's brewed with mountain water from BC and it's "glacier fresh" etc. My dad got some, tried it and said it tasted like watery crap. We checked the label and it said "Brewed in London, Ontario", where the water is far from "glacier fresh". A couple years ago my brother tried Kokanee in BC and said it was actually a really good (light) beer. So that makes sense.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum