Advertisement

Michael Jordan to Play Johnny Storm in New Fantastic Four Movie?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 251 posts
Formerly: AMS

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 374 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Michael Jordan to Play Johnny Storm in New Fantastic Fou

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 05, 2013 11:52 am

"black-Johnny" :lol:

Made me think of Rescue Me and Black Sean. Thank You, I loved that show. :lol:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun May 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
Hate to admit it, but I think you nailed it.

Black people do like to see white characters turned black far more than seeing black characters.

I never said nor implied that.

My point was they probably get sick of movies just full of white people. I have no idea how you came up with that conclusion.

Hab

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 374 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 05, 2013 12:13 pm

habitual wrote:
I never said nor implied that.

My point was they probably get sick of movies just full of white people. I have no idea how you came up with that conclusion.

Hab

Do white people get sick of watching tv shows, movies or sports filled with black people? Is it okay for them to feel that way, just as you described for black people?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sun May 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Keb wrote:I'm not arguing race does and doesn't matter. I'm pointing out the reasons why people make it matter and I'm saying that it shouldn't.

Not familiar with Michonne or the Walking Dead but I remember the internet outrage when that white girl cosplayed as her. Also, this: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/2 ... -TV-Series

Black Panther being a white adopted kid changes the dynamic of the character a lot. Much of his character is rooted in the history of the kings of Wakanda. You could put a white kid, hell any adopted kid in there, it would change the dynamic of it. It's kind of a cool angle if you work it a certain way but it makes the character different. It introduces levels of complexity that involve the royal family and leadership of the nationthat also alter who the character is. Genealogy and African descent matter to that character and define who he is. The falcon or gl John Stewart are different. They are defined by their blackness but should not be confined to it. I'd welcome the change. Others may not because others cling to that blackness to identify the uniqueness of the characters.

Same goes for Johnny Storm. He's American, right? Isn't America representative of the diversity of family structure? Can a white American family not adopt a black boy? It's happened in reality. And besides, black Americans are just Americans. Does being a "black" or "African" American make him any less of an American? Johnny Storm is American, no matter what color he is.

sorry, I missed your reply in all the bickering that popped up in the thread :D

The reason I brought up Michonne (besides being my fav WD character) was b/c she isn't "defined by her blackness" like you described (rightly so) of the other characters. (Probably because she is a "newer character" and not written as badly as minorities used to be). Making her a white character wouldn't change her personality, but it wouldn't be who fans know her as (Although I think the hubbub about the white girl that did Michonne cosplay was because she painted herself black, if I remember correctly). I would be upset if they changed her, not because it wouldn't make sense personality wise, but because I know her how I know her. Same as any other character, even white ones like Johnny Storm. Don't know how to explain it any better than that.

Also, I appreciate your view of race not mattering. The only characters you see an issue with are when it's tied into their identity and all. But that's not how most feel, otherwise, race wouldn't be an issue at all. We wouldn't see minorities excited about having their own race depicted if it didn't matter. Does this mean I think there shouldn't be diversity? Not at all, just pointing out that someone's race seems to have a bigger impact than just a description to many people. Studios wouldn't care about appealing to various audiences by including minorities in casting, etc. It seems to be allowed to matter to everyone except white men. I can certainly see why the hypocrisy exists, trust me; but it is what it is, even if the reasons are understood.

If they did change him, like I said, I'd rather they change the whole FF then, especially his sister. Sure, he could be a step child or adopted as well, but I've always felt the FF a bit boring so don't mind if they changed it up entirely. Mostly, what bugs me (personally) when they make these changes are the continuing stories of a different character versions in the comic world. The having a white and black Nick Fury (in 616 and Ultimates), then trying to shoehorn in a black version of Nick Fury in the 616 because of the movie's popularity. It's not different than having alt world comic world versions merging and crap in comics, but I'm usually not a fan of that either. Personally, I'd rather see more original characters created than just see old characters gender and race swapped. But, if Jordan is the best actor for the job and they can actually make a decent FF movie for once, I'll certainly see it.

My whole discussion hasn't been about pointing out that it shouldn't be done, just about pointing out the hypocrisy. Perhaps minorities are more possessive of characters because they are more rare... or perhaps anyone that might be bothered if Michonne was turned white, would understand the same feelings apply to other characters as well, even white dudes.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 530 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 05, 2013 1:55 pm

I think that the Fantastic Four movie is going to suck (or, on an off-chance), not suck completely unrelated to whether or not Johnny Storm is black. Would they fuck it up, make it a joke or gimmick, or make it overly complicated? Probably. But that's not inherently the problem of having a black actor play a white character. It's inherently the problem of movie studios being shitty and obsessed with money over quality. I mean, just look at how ham-fistedly Marvel, who makes GOOD movies, handled the Chinese scenes in Iron Man 3. So sure, Fox would probably fuck this up... But they can have a KKK approved all white FF movie and chances are they will still fuck it up. Just like the last movies.

So if the debate is simply should Michael Jordan play Johnny Storm, I'm gonna go with "yeah, sure," assuming the word of others that he's a good actor and good for the role is true. Johnny Storm's whiteness is not integral to the character. He's basically an arrogant pretty boy jock character, and there's no reason a black dude can't portray that.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 198 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Let's face it. The real concern is if this new Blonny looks as good in a towel as Chris Evans :P

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum