Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Keb wrote:I have an old high school friend who works at the Amazon.ca warehouse. He's been there for like 10 years almost. He always complains about how poorly they're treated.

This one is Indigo books, a Canadian company. I'm pretty sure their distribution centre is just like Amazon's. I just want to believe that because they're a smaller, Canadian company, they care more.

He's been working there for 10 years? I would have quit after 10 days.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat May 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah he even got promoted and shit. I remember he started working there when we finished high school. He got a couple of my orders and used to write on my packing slips.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 995 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah I returned it with no questions asked. Then I made a Ricky Martin joke and we all laughed. It was harmonious!

:lol:

Have you tried Elephantmen or Hack/Slash from Image?

Not yet but I am curious about Elephantmen and I have been eying Atomic Robo lately too...

Why not try the first Sandman trade?

Honestly, if my LCS has a copy when I go in this week, I'll probably pick it up. I was just wanting something a little lighter for a break.

If you do plan on tracking down the Kirby Cap, try going for the paperbacks. I got all three for like $8 a piece. Much cheaper than the omnibus.

Probably not a bad idea. Especially since I am running out of room.

I wish I had a recliner. I tried reading on a chez lounger or whatever the fuck it's call and ended up just lying down and then I started falling asleep. Then I tried reading on the balcony in a muskoka chair and that was really uncomfortable.

I will admit, finding just the right spot to get comfortable while reading a large book like a Marvel Omnibus or a DC Absolute can be tough. They really should take this into account.

Arion wrote:Poor books. This must be the most depressing post I've read in this thread.

I know, that's why I always try to give them a nice home when I get them. :)

Victorian Squid wrote:If you're talking about Amazon, their working conditions have been written about, and those workers are given very little time to traffic huge warehouses and process those orders. Like robotically little time. So no, they aren't thinking of you at all as they aren't given the time to think about anything really.

So, poor people actually, you weirdos.

Just another reason why I don't like to order from Amazon whenever I can find it at a brick and mortar store. :-D
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Elephantmen is good. The books seem like they're really big but they're printed on nice paper and have a lot of back matter. If you can track down the hardcovers, they are much nicer than the paperbacks. The paperback spines get creased easily.

I hate spine creases.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 995 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat May 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Keb wrote:Elephantmen is good. The books seem like they're really big but they're printed on nice paper and have a lot of back matter. If you can track down the hardcovers, they are much nicer than the paperbacks. The paperback spines get creased easily.

I think that my LCS has most of the hardcovers and now that you mention it, they do remind me of the Mind MGMT hardcover which was just an incredibly well put together book.

I hate spine creases.

Me too! :smt013
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun May 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah he even got promoted and shit. I remember he started working there when we finished high school. He got a couple of my orders and used to write on my packing slips.

I'm curious, what did he write on the packing slips?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun May 05, 2013 6:05 pm

One of them said "Hey (my first name), good book." Another said "I like this movie." Obviously he kept it clean. That was weird because he probably would have written some weird inside joke on it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Keb wrote:I have an old high school friend who works at the Amazon.ca warehouse. He's been there for like 10 years almost. He always complains about how poorly they're treated.

This one is Indigo books, a Canadian company. I'm pretty sure their distribution centre is just like Amazon's. I just want to believe that because they're a smaller, Canadian company, they care more.

I mean, it's possible? But from what I've seen very recently in person it really impressed upon me how much the distribution and warehousing systems have changed to meet the consumer demand for immediate and cheaper shipment of goods. And how much of that falls onto the backs of the human workforce in those systems, not further automation to make things faster and cheaper. I think that's happened everywhere, although Amazon is the biggest that just means they're the industry leader others will want to emulate.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I mean, it's possible? But from what I've seen very recently in person it really impressed upon me how much the distribution and warehousing systems have changed to meet the consumer demand for immediate and cheaper shipment of goods. And how much of that falls onto the backs of the human workforce in those systems, not further automation to make things faster and cheaper. I think that's happened everywhere, although Amazon is the biggest that just means they're the industry leader others will want to emulate.

Oh no doubt. Demand has gone up in the last 10 years like crazy and workers are being forced to accommodate with very little support offered. I used to work at bank processing online credit stuff (loan payments, PLC activating, etc.) and the operations grew and grew but they wouldn't hire new people. They'd just ask us to process more.

It got really bad because had to fulfill quotas and every time we got a a task done, we'd have to mark it off on our quota sheet. Eventually they started reducing the processing time for each task so we'd have to do more. It was really silly.

I can imagine the same thing applies to the warehouses.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon May 06, 2013 7:55 am

I wasn't reading anything, but today I got 9 books in the mail :)

3 of them I have to return to amazon, and one I already had (i wanted the second volume, but ordered the first again ----- dumbass me).

SOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo that makes 5 good books to read. Its going to be a fun couple of weeks.

I think I'll start with Punk Rock Jesus.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 am

Do you have to return them because they are damaged?

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Mon May 06, 2013 9:14 am

Keb wrote:Do you have to return them because they are damaged?

Nope, I complained that an order was late and they shipped a new one in priority mail. Today I got both of them.

The correct thing to do is return one of them.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 am

Oh okay. Yay complaining!

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 am

Amazon has a superb costumer care policy. Complain and you shall receive.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 am

:lol: @ everything we've been taking about in this thread for the last two days.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand